It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where do you go for your news? Seriously help wanted on this issue

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Maya432

Not to get off topic but..
someone who has the $$$$ to buy clear channel could never be in touch with "the peoples" reality so how in the world could he claim to be a "Man of the people"
I don't have to look at his eyes, his bank account will do.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

where do i go for my news?check my profile where i list all my favorite websites that have found for news so far--cnn?--i avoid it--microsoft? or their pretenders shut me down or warn me over and over that cnn? is accessing information out of my computer every single time i have tried to get cnns "news" on line

besides this their news is not really that totally in depth---unless they have the goods? on brittney spears to let us know about---and i'm not interested--just glad she's not my daughter--that would be a heartbreaker for sure!

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Just watch FOX. ManCow is right about everything.

I'm pretty sure ManCow has been off the air for at least the past 6 months.
Both in Chicago and with FOX.

Originally posted by khunmoon
Faux news is disinfo at its worst. They distract from the real news, they spin, they humiliate opponents in the most disgracing manner.

And this is different then CNN and MSNBC ... how? (hint - it's not)

I flip between FOX, MSNBC, and CNN on the TV. Then I go on the internet to a few sources and read those - one of which includes the site 'Steve Quayles World'. All the while, I have to screen the forced opinions out and make up my own mind.

[edit on 1/6/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I like BBC first and foremost. They are not as lorded over with censorship in my opinion. Drudge is great. I just read yahoo outpaced google and msn for news readerhip. They are hot on the online press. I read cnn, msn, and fox of course. Also find them biased, so of course with a grain of salt. Oops, forgot NPR, I have heard many interesting tidbits there NO one else reported on. Of course many think of them as liberal leftists.

[edit on 6-1-2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I usually see the headlines from news.google.com.

To back it up I check:

BBC
Reuters
ATS

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The most non partisan news network in the world is the BBC. So if your looking for just the news without any bias or favortism, the BBC is the one. They are funded by the public and not advertising like everyother news source out there. the BBC is also a public domain so it's not owned by big corporations unlike FOX, ABC, NBC etc.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tevis69

I occasionally read BBC but I really cant trust them to be non-biased either, the US pretty much has England in their back pocket, maybe not as much as they did last year but I still see them as as somewhat of a puppet of the US.
Besides they got their own Fascist thing going on over there, with cameras on every corner, that are supposedly for safety but I wonder how many of those cameras can rotate over the the second floor apartment windows whenever the operator wants to invade your privacy anymore.
I had forgotten about reuters though, I will also add their bookmark to my "news" folder on Firefox.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Here are some sites that I visit daily.

www.globalresearch.ca
www.truthnews.us
www.rense.com
www.infowars.com
www.revolution2008.net
slashdot.org

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I like the following sites

www.digg.com

www.theonion.com

www.rawstory.com

netscape.aol.com...

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.drudgereport.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
After watching MSM for a while I went to chicken entrails and talking to my dog. I find the "news" from the dog the most uplifting. The entrails thing helps with politics and upcoming elections.

Edit to add: Getting really buzzed on Irish coffee helps me destill what I learn, both from MSM and the above sources.

[edit on 6-1-2008 by NGC2736]

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tevis69

The most non partisan news network in the world is the BBC

All I can say is WOW! See this is the mentality that frightens me. As entities, all the sites we've listed are biased. They are each looking to deliver the type of news/information their respective bases are looking for.

I'm a very conservative guy. I know Drudge is very biased as is Fox. I also know CNN, MSNBC and all other outlets are biased as well. Read or watch both sides and think for yourself!

Now to the BBC comment.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Come on man, at least read up on your favorite news source before making the comment quoted above.

Becker

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I think the BBC is still funded by a tax on the citizenry, and so it's not nearly so beholden to corporate sponsorship as many of the American MSM outlets.

I still think they have a fair bit of control leveraged against them though, since they still sell airtime/programming, and so it can't be said that they're entirely free, fair and balanced. They're still a corporation trying to make money.

All in all though, I think they do a damn fine job.

It's a real shame, a national disgrace, that Americans have to go to the Guardian and the BBC for vital information on domestic politics, and international politics involving the US.

What kind of nonsense is that, really? Pathetic...

I don't so much trust Google, but I do like their news search function, since it allows one to quickly and efficiently compile a list of headlines, see trends in reporting, and compare write-ups from different media outlets. It's also really easy to see, at a glance, which stories are being pushed, and which are being ignored.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becker44
reply to post by tevis69

The most non partisan news network in the world is the BBC

All I can say is WOW! See this is the mentality that frightens me.
Come on man, at least read up on your favorite news source before making the comment quoted above.

Becker

Every say WOW!
I agree, this frightens the heck out of me as well.

Blantantly Biased Coverage for sure.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

I get my news from Leno and Conan because they're less biased than the "official" news

Which is why I'm glad the two hosts have returned...

There's not a whole lot I want to know about going on in the news (its all propaganda and shallow celebrity gossip) though so I'm fairly content glancing at headlines and hearing things from other people, you'd be surprised how much more peace you have when you stop watching main stream news...

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
DEMOCRACY NOW

democracynow.org

Everyday on many tv channels or watch & download shows free online, best honest news i ever seen.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
who cares so long as you cross reference and challenge the evidence

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I do believe the BBC offers fairly unbiased news coverage. I have only had one experience of fox, it was about 5 years ago when I was in new York for 2 weeks holidays. I watched it almost every day and found it completely sensationalist and the closest thing to pure tabloid journalism. I actually worry about people who spend their time watching Just Fox day in day out for their daily news. You cant really blame them for their point of view if all they have to base their opinions on is fox. This goes for watching just CNN or any of the rest of them.

I dont believe that there is a truly unbiased news network anywhere as everyone has their opinions, beliefs etc.. and in one way or another this will come across in their reporting of the news. The BBC for me do a reasonable job in keeping things neutral and when they do loose their objectivity it is easier to filter this out and take in just the facts.

Message boards like ATS are Neutral at the top and dont try and move thread/topic conversations one way or the other. This enables members the opportunity to trash things out and the rest to make up their own minds. Where Fox CNN and many many others fall down is that there is an agenda and spin forced on the viewers to fit with a certain political or personal POV. This is why it is so dangerous for people to rely on one source only for the news as they will very quickly see the world from the POV of the broadcaster and have no opportunity to formulate their own opinions.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheoOne
Google definitely would be the best source.

[edit on 5-1-2008 by TheoOne]

news-google news
weather-yahoo weather
stocks-yahoo finance
paranormal-c2c,earthfiles, ats
conspiracy-prison planet

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Your hysterical. Chicken entrails

Seems like there is an old thread with a long list of news links around here somewhere.

Anyway, ATS is checked first of course.
Then I might check all the above posted links and more. Biased or not, they still carry tidbits of info.

I'll also check news aggregates like News Now, Templeton Thorpe, AP Breaking News, Big News Network, etc.

If something is interesting I'll probably look for more detailed information from the local news sources.

It really depends whether I'm looking for specific news.
If its WOT news I may look in forums like Wincoast, Infovlad, or al Jazeera Talk, or a list of ever changing, scary, extreme sites.

If I'm feeling geeky, I might check pc security forums like Frequency X, Dancho Danchev, Bleeding Edge Threats, Shadow Server, DShield, Arbor Networks, Holisticinfosec, Securiteam, Viruslist, Malware Outbreak Center, or dozens of other sites.

Then theres independant fun at LiveLeak, Wiki Leak, Wiki News, our own Tin Wiki, and thousands of other sites.

My point is, where you get your news from really depends on what you feel like reading that day. In todays world that list is nearly unlimited, (Unless you live someplace like China).

[edit on 1/6/08 by makeitso]

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I get it from ware ever I can get it except fox news they aren't fair and balanced like they say.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join