It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I'm a fatty!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I was in a discussion with this one fellow about surviving 2012. When I presented a valid counterpoint to his flawed argument, his own retort was that he "shouldn't listen to me because" I "am a fatty who doesn't take care of himself". Well with logic like that I knew exactly what I was dealing with.

But really, what do you all think?

Are the true survivalists a product of the mass media culture?

I think that was one of the most foolish statements I've ever heard. Like those that will be surviving some type of "end of the world" event will be sporting the lastest desiners survival geer.

I realize, and I hope you do too, that fat is like "money in the bank". Fat is the bodies way of storing energy for a rainny day.

If food sources ever got cut off, I'd survive, because two days later I'd be eating the person that thought it was bad to carry a little fat, as I'd have energy and they wouldn't.

So what says you all?

Fat? Good or bad for survivalists?

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Excess fat is not good for anybody. But that comment was totally ignorant.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
Excess fat is not good for anybody. But that comment was totally ignorant.

yes, but where is the line of "excess fat"? Diffrent bodies carry fat diffrently. Some people have a tendency to carry more weight naturally.

I comment was unneed and useless, but so is the resort of people whom's ideas are not as solid as they persume when chalanged without a responce they resort to mud slingging.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I guess my point is in modern day culture, I'm not really sure of the percentage, but an assumed "Normal" weight, lets just call it 13% body fat, might be seen as a good thing.

However in the contrast to very lean times ahead for eating that 7-13% targeted body fat might be better pushed up to 25% in the aspectual understanding of survivalists.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

Well I guess that would depend on each individual, wouldn't it?

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Well the fat people will last longer then the skinny people when there is no food available. BUT, the fat people WILL be the first ones to be ate!

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I have had this discussion with some friends a few times. First some definitions so we all know what exactly what I mean by the usual vague words used in these sorts of topics. It helps to have the same picture in everyone's mind.

For purposes of this discussion:
Fat are people who consume no more than 150% of the calories that is recommended. They don't get any exercise and develop fat reserves in the usual areas of their bodies. They play video games and/or watch a lot of TV.
Obese are huge people who consume a lot of calories and are one shows on Discovery Health about the losing weight.
Thin people are folks who eat about what is recommended and just get some exercise. The kind of people in AARP commercials who want to outlive everyone else or see their grandkids do..something.
Skinny are the people who eat and eat. No one knows how many calories they consume but damned if they don't always have some food in their hand. These are the people who bring a sandwich on 2 hour flights yet for some mysterious reason they "never gain a pound."
Annoying these are the people who just don't eat a lot because their brain doesn't work correctly for some reason.

Now survival, in any survival situation you can throw out the annoying and obese classes because they will most likely die of disease or exposure if they don't change their ways quickly. If they do "shape-up" then there is a chance that they can either bulk-up or drop a few pounds before the situation is too dire.

Fat people and thin people are actually in the same boat because they have pretty much the same metabolism naturally. The thin person is just going to have to start learning to conversing their energy while the fat person will naturally have to start spending their reserves in order to survive. They will have about the same body mass no more than a few months into any survival situation.

The skinny folks are completely screwed. They are usually high-strung and nervous types and are not the kind of people that will go long without food because they lack energy reserves. This will make skinny people literally crazy and that instability will make them the enemy of the thin and fat people who have started to work together. That makes the skinny people the first ones ate.

Jon

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Nothing wrong with having a hearty appetite.

I'd say if you are active and still feel you have plenty of energy then no problem.

To answer your question though, I'd say it is better to be heavier if you are a survivalist.
Reason being:
A survivalist is a survivalist because they typically think things could go to hell in a handbasket at some point in time, and are therefore preparing for the hardships of surviving in some kind of post-apocolyptic environment. (I'm being a little stereo-typical, but you get my point).
So, if this is the case then any extra-poundage will be invaluable in those uncertain times directly after the 'big event'.
Being a "fatty" may save your life if your a survivalist.

On the other hand, It's harder to escape the enemy, squeeze into fox holes, and dig trenches if you're too large.

But, again,as long as you keep up the energy level your good.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel
Fat people and thin people are actually in the same boat because they have pretty much the same metabolism naturally. The thin person is just going to have to start learning to conversing their energy while the fat person will naturally have to start spending their reserves in order to survive. They will have about the same body mass no more than a few months into any survival situation.

I was about to post the same exact thing, but figured someone beat me to it. I was right!

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
One of my survival plans includes hunting down and eating fat people, who will naturally be slower and easier to capture/kill. Once they're gone, of course, I'll have to go back to hunting other game, but for a while the pickings will be good.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

the fat person will naturally have to start spending their reserves in order to survive. They will have about the same body mass no more than a few months into any survival situation.

I was about to post the same exact thing, but figured someone beat me to it. I was right!

Well to be perfectlly correct the statement that us fatties will be at the same body mass as those without fat reserves in a couple of months isn't exactly true.

As I the fatty will be at a "normalish" body weight within a couple of months, the person starting with a "normalish" body weight will be somewhere around emaciated in the same time.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

not actually in the club, but the statement about metabolism was more accurate.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I know some fat people who can barely get around and I know other fat people who can move like lightning and even though they are large, still move like a skinny person. I also know if a fat person gets shot multiple times they handle bullets better than a skinny guy and the bullets just pop back out of the fat. Course thats not how biggy smalls went down when he was all shot up. Still there are benefits to being large besides getting diabetes and heart problems. Most stars with body guards hire big people which every one knows will crush anyone who thinks they can push one of these dozer's aside to touch a star.

My doctor put in his report I was obese and than told me I was because I was over the weight to size criteria. So I'm short and fat..

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Incarnated
As I the fatty will be at a "normalish" body weight within a couple of months, the person starting with a "normalish" body weight will be somewhere around emaciated in the same time.

I was considering survival in the "limited food" sense not the "no food" sense. Two people, one fat and one thin, finding adequate game and foraged food to survive (this is a survival, not starvation, board after all) will be in a similar physical condition after a few months.

Jon

[edit on 1.4.2008 by Voxel]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
wouldnt us "festively plump" types burn more calories though since we are carrying more weight, therefore actually making us worse off than a skinny minny?

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Obliv_au
wouldnt us "festively plump" types burn more calories though since we are carrying more weight, therefore actually making us worse off than a skinny minny?

Probably not, you ever see a fat-ass die of starvation?
It's usually the boney skinny ones!

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Incarnated
If food sources ever got cut off, I'd survive, because two days later I'd be eating the person that thought it was bad to carry a little fat, as I'd have energy and they wouldn't.

So what says you all?

Fat? Good or bad for survivalists?

Interesting topic.....

The main problem I can see with having a larger body mass is water loss. You may become dehydrated quicker and as I am sure you know we can survive without food for much longer than we can water. If it is warm you will lose fluid much quicker due to a larger skin area and will need to drink a lot to replace those lost fluids. If drinking water is scarce you could hit problems pretty quickly.

The skinny folks are completely screwed. They are usually high-strung and nervous types and are not the kind of people that will go long without food because they lack energy reserves. This will make skinny people literally crazy and that instability will make them the enemy of the thin and fat people who have started to work together. That makes the skinny people the first ones ate.

I am a 'skinny' but your description in no way resembles me. I do not eat constantly quite the opposite, I have a very functional relationship with food. As a more voluptuous friend of mine commented - she lives to eat and I eat to live. I eat what is put in front of me or what is available, I seldom eat for the sake of it and usually only because I have to. I don't often lack energy either because I drink a great deal of fluids. I don't though retain heat very well which can be a draw back. And trust me unless you like gnawing on bones you won't get much nourishment out of me

I think our ability to survive has as much to do with our inherent personality as it does our body type. Desire to survive is the most important thing, food can generally always be found even if it is only worms and grubs.

Edit to add: I forgot - I do need to top up on sugar and salt at times, both essential ingredients to survival skinny or otherwise.

[edit on 4-1-2008 by KilgoreTrout]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Obliv_au

Yes The over weight will burn more calories then the SO called Normal weighted people. The under weight people also burn more because of a high metabolism.

As for the OP. it sounds to me like the person was loosing the debate so it was said out of desperation. A poor looser sucks.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Can you walk 10 miles in one day? Can you defend yourself without a weapon? Can you defend yourself with both a melee and ranged weapon?

If you can then you are fine.

If not, get yourself into shape that you can do these things and properly equip yourself.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
craig732, good answer.
I'm a fat boy and I want to loose weight. I can and have done it in the past and I'm pretty sure I'd survive without much food even though I like to eat, but I can go without it, I just choose not to lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join