It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Jesus Endured

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
It takes a lot of endurance to walk the Narrow Path to Father. We all have trails and tribulations that we have went through and will go through but have you ever stopped to think about the trails and tribulations that Jesus when through? He had to endure many, many things. Jesus was tempted by Satan after He had fasted for 40 days and 40 nights. Could you just imagine how hungry He was. I imagine a lot of people would not have been in their right mind to turn away from Satan during that time. But Jesus didn’t make the stones into bread like Satan tempted him to do no matter how hungry He was. Jesus told Satan “It is written: Man must not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.” Satan also asked Jesus to prove that he was the Son of God, by throwing himself down from the top of a temple. But yet Jesus didn’t do as Satan asked but told him. “It is also written: Do not test the Lord your God.” Jesus felt in His heart that He didn’t have to prove who He was to Satan or anybody for that matter. Yet againSatan tried to tempt Jesus by saying that he would give Him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor if only Jesus would fall down and worship him. Do you all know what Jesus told Satan? Jesus told him “Go away, Satan! For it is written: Worship the Lord your God, and serve only Him.” How many of you can truly say that they could have endured that? Please read Matthew 4:1-11.
Jesus went back to His hometown to teach them their synagogue but they did not believe Him because He was a carpenters son so Jesus didn’t do many miracles there because of their unbelief. What do you think Jesus when through while he was in his hometown? The people in his hometown didn’t see how He could have had that much knowledge being a carpenters son. They didn’t believe Him to be the Son of God. Why do you think that Jesus didn’t try to win them over to Him? Would it really have done any good. All that would have caused was more arguing. Jesus spoke the truth and who ever didn’t take it as truth he walked away from. That is what our Ministry is. Jesus is our example. And what a wonderful example He is. Do you think it took endurance for Jesus to stand up in front of His hometown to teach them? Matthew 13: 54-58
Jesus predicted His own death and resurrection. Think about the Faith in His Father He had knowing how He was going to die. The pain He would go through. Jesus predicted His own death more than one time. If he wasn’t the Son of God how would He have known about His death? Matthew 16: 21-23, Matthew 17: 22, 23 and Matthew 20: 17-19
Jesus’ authority was also challenged by His own people when He was in the temple complex in Bethany. That also took great endurance on His part. Matthew 21: 23-27
Jesus endured many things in His 33 years of life for US. He was arrested by the chief priests and elders. He let them arrest Him so the Scriptures would be fulfilled. Did that take endurance on Jesus’ part to LET them take him knowing what was going to happen to Him? Matthew 26: 47-56
Jesus was tied up and handed over to Pilate the governor. The crowd wanted the governor to set Barabbas free and for Jesus to take his place. The governor washed his hands in front of the crowd and said to them “I am innocent of this man’s blood. See to it yourselves!” Jesus was then handed over to the governor’s soldiers where they dressed Him in a scarlet robe and pushed a crown of thorns onto His head. They mocked Jesus by saying “Hail King of the Jews!” Matthew 27: 11-25 and 27-30
I think the one thing that took the most endurance was when Jesus had to carry His cross which He was going to be nailed too. How many of you would have done that of your own free will? While He was up on the cross insults were being yelled at Him as people walked by. They mocked Him by saying “He saved others, but He cannot save Himself! Matthew 27: 38-44

Continued below:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
When we think about our trials and tribulations that we have had and think about how hard we may have it in life we always should stop and step back to remember what Jesus went through with his trails and tribulations. Even though He is the Son of God doesn’t mean He had it easy. Matter of fact I believe He had it even harder then most of us do in our lives.

Sorry for not posting the actual Scriptures but it would have been much longer.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Yes, it is hard to live as holy as Jesus did.
The longest I have ever fasted is 4 days a couple of times.
The closer you get to purity and power, the more you see of this world and the forces of good and evil.
The devils will fight you for your attention and try to stop you, but thank God Jesus will help us.
I know a woman who 'said' she fasted for 30 something days. I don't know, she was kind of eccentric.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies

The longest I have ever fasted is 4 days a couple of times.

I haven't fasted before because my body won't let me. I get really sick and shaky so I know it would be hard for me to do. I just thank God that he hasn't asked me to.

The closer you get to purity and power, the more you see of this world and the forces of good and evil.
The devils will fight you for your attention and try to stop you,

That is so true. The more you fast and the longer you stay up the more you see. You are 100% correct on saying the devils will fight you for your attention and the reason why they want your attention is because they want to steer you away from God so you will go down with them.

but thank God Jesus will help us.

Amen.

I know a woman who 'said' she fasted for 30 something days. I don't know, she was kind of eccentric.

Oh my. That must have been very hard.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Ah, Xians and their worship of a fictional man's agony.

What about what "he" has endured since his "resurrection"? For 2000 years people have been letting him take on their own guilt (he died for our sins!) to avoid having to bear their own responsibility.

Let the guy down off his sticks already. If he was a real being, I bet he's disgusted with the worship of his pain.

Even if he was a real guy, plenty of people have died far worse deaths throughout history, so why cry so hard for him? What about the people dying horrible deaths today -- AIDS in Africa, starvation, babies in the dying rooms in China? Why spend so much energy crying for the death of a fictional character 2000 years ago when there's so much agony in the world today?

Crucifixion was a very common method of Roman execution. It creeps me out to see people worshipping this method of execution -- it is as weird as someone wearing a little electric chair on a chain around their neck, or a rock to represent stoning.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
what's odd is that jesus didn't even suffer the worst crucifixion ever, let alone the worst suffering. he died after a relatively short crucifixion.

and, as MM said, there are far worse ways to die.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
MM, the cross represents God dying for a sin sacrafice. Somethis your arrogance doewsnt understand.

Madness.

Jesus endured much much more before the crucifiction, you have no clue what he suffered for 33 years. He was also one if not the only one to be crowned with raw thorns being mocked as king.

But this arrogance will be slienced soon.

peace.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

i'm the arrogant one? you're claiming that i don't know what jesus suffered for 33 years... well, actually, nobody really seems to know as there isn't much written on the subject. even the apocryphal books have very little to say on it.

there are many, many people who lived lives with far more suffering than jesus. there are women who are sex slaves and raped for years of their lives before being murdered in a brutal fashion. there are people who have to suffer with certain diseases. people who die of dehydration. etc.

it's arrogance to say that one person suffered more than anyone else in the world's history, especially when there is much to the contrary.

one last thing... jesus dies as a sacrifice. yes, he's a blood sacrifice, it shows you just how much roman tradition influenced the mithran stories that were combined with judeo-christian folklore.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Define suffering.

Isolation? Being denied even casual human contact?
Prisoner of France

Being misunderstood?
Rudolf Hess

Enduring physical trauma for more than 24 hours? Only to finally die?
Madge Oberholtzer

How about being falsely accused of a crime and then sentenced to death?
From Speakout:

For every seven executions since 1976, one other prisoner on death row has been found innocent.

Or Being sentenced to death by an unusually horrific means, for a political 'crime?' As in: being 'hung, drawn, and quartered?'

------------------------

Madness has an excellent point - about 'blood sacrifice.' Even Jesus said that was not the ultimate purpose:

But if you had known what this means, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, you would not have condemned the guiltless.
Matthew 12:7

Define mercy!
Define humility!

Why do Jesus' proclaimed followers show less mercy and humility, quite often, than those that don't claim such a thing?

Define follow...

Remember the words of Martin Luther King, Jr.:
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

[edit on 1/7/2008 by queenannie38]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
But this arrogance will be slienced soon.

peace.

But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Out of the same mouth proceeds blessing and cursing.
My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
James 3:8-10

Which men are made after the similitude of GOD?

ALL MEN!

Do you know what 'Antipas' means? (Revelation 2:13)
for all, or against all

Which will you be?

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Madness has an excellent point - about 'blood sacrifice.' Even Jesus said that was not the ultimate purpose:

But if you had known what this means, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, you would not have condemned the guiltless.
Matthew 12:7

Out of context!!!

Read BEFORE and AFTER that quote,...
12:1 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat.

12:2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.

12:3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;

12:4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?

12:5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?

12:6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.

12:7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.

12:8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

They were condemning him for working on the Sabbath!

Why do Jesus' proclaimed followers show less mercy and humility, quite often, than those that don't claim such a thing?

Are you talking about someone Here on ATS???

Did anyone say Jesus suffered 'physically' more than anyone????
Here's a quote from one of my favorite biblical scholars, Dave Hunt,...

"Well, let’s talk about “His visage so marred more than any man.” Moral, spiritual agony can change your face, the look on it, and so forth, extreme agony. Jesus sweat, as it were, drops of blood in the garden. Why was that? Was He afraid to have nails driven in His hands and feet? No, thousands of people had endured that. What was He concerned about? He was going to be made sin for us, this is what the Bible says. He was going to suffer the moral and spiritual agony and remorse, the horror. He was going to suffer for Hitler’s sins, and in hell, Hitler right now is going back in his mind, I am sure, because he no longer can hide his conscience from God about the horror of what he did.
Now, I believe, it says He tasted death, Jesus tasted death for every man, and the Lake of Fire is called the second death. So Jesus must have tasted the Lake of Fire for all mankind. In other words He tasted the pain, the agony that the entire world, every person that ever lived or ever will live would suffer in the Lake of Fire forever! Now, if that wouldn’t mar your face, you don’t have to be hit in the face a few times, that’s nothing to what Jesus endured. And I believe that it would be the moral and spiritual agony, the horror. He was made sin for us! This was the very thing He hated. He was treated as though He were sin itself. The serpent was lifted up in the wilderness, that was the thing that bit them, that was a picture of Satan. So, Jesus was treated on the cross as though he were the very serpent who bit us. He’s treated as though He is the very sin of all of the sinners of the world. That is certainly going to mar someone’s visage far more than any physical suffering."

The Berean Call.

Remember the words of Martin Luther King, Jr.:
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

Martin Luther King Jr. was a christian, a preacher!

[edit on 7-1-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Also,

I don't think Jesusistruth was cursing anyone.
She said that the atheistic rhetoric would stop when Jesus comes back.
It's True!

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Noone I know worships Jesus' pain.

I and everyone at ANY church I've been to don't.

We worship Jesus who speaks to our hearts and loves us more than anyone else can or will.
Thank you Jesus.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
Out of context!!!

Objection overruled due to over- and mis-use of that statement. IOW - 'out of context' is only a 'valid' argument for those who don't seem to like the situation in which any particular scripture is quoted. Not that I'm saying that is your reason - simply that it is my reason for caring nothing about such rebuttals.

IMO, if Jesus SAID it, then it is ALWAYS in context...that is, if it simply stated without all the theological rigamaroll and the inclusion of the opinions of scholars and what-not.

Read BEFORE and AFTER that quote,...

After:

Then the Pharisees went out, and held a council against him, how they might destroy him.
Matthew 12:14

HOW did the 'destroy' Jesus? BY falsely accusing them according to their OWN understanding of the law of Moses rather than seeking out the law of GOD (which is LOVE)...and the end-result of the scheming of the Pharisees was Jesus' UNJUST execution.

They were condemning him for working on the Sabbath!

And they executed him, supposedly, for saying he was the son of GOD.

Are you talking about someone Here on ATS???

I'm just speaking in general. Don't get offended.
On the other hand - for anyone reading - if the shoe fits...

If one must judge, then judge self - NOT others! Just a reminder!

Did anyone say Jesus suffered 'physically' more than anyone????

Did I? No. There are myriad forms of suffering. I offered examples of three I consider to be good examples - only because of considering what I might have felt like, being in any one pair of those three souls' shoes.

Martin Luther King Jr. was a christian, a preacher!

I know this. He was ALSO an activist for HUMAN rights - under the title of civil rights but in this country human rights were intended to be the same as our civil rights...but he wasn't murdered for being a Christian or even a preacher...he was murdered because he was upsetting the applecart in the name of EQUALITY.

Was that injustice? In DEED. Literally.

ANTIPAS

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Ah, Xians and their worship of a fictional man's agony.

--snip---

Let the guy down off his sticks already. If he was a real being, I bet he's disgusted with the worship of his pain.

Hi there.

We don't worship Jesus' agony. It is not written in the Bible. We worship Jesus, not his pain.

What about what "he" has endured since his "resurrection"? For 2000 years people have been letting him take on their own guilt (he died for our sins!) to avoid having to bear their own responsibility.

Romans 7:14-25

14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. 21 So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God's law; 23 but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

--

Every Christian struggles with sin. No one is exempted. However, when we sin we have to bear the responsibilities. For whatever you sow, you reap. We confess our sins to God, and He will forgive us. But that doesn't mean you are scott free and that God will not chastise you. He will because what kind of parent are you if you do not discipline your children.

As Christians, we are very much careful, because we are aware of the consequences. Better try to live peacefully and avoid trouble.

Don't get it wrong. Just because we are Christians we have the license to sin for God will forgive us anytime. Yes, God will forgive us. But we have to bear the consequences of our sinful acts so that we learn our lessons. God deals with us individually. We are still held responsible for our sins.

Even if he was a real guy, plenty of people have died far worse deaths throughout history, so why cry so hard for him? What about the people dying horrible deaths today -- AIDS in Africa, starvation, babies in the dying rooms in China? Why spend so much energy crying for the death of a fictional character 2000 years ago when there's so much agony in the world today?

It is not a matter of how Jesus died. It is a matter of His condition. He did not sin. He was blameless and was crucified for telling the truth and doing good.

Everybody cries for the death of someone close or loved. It is only human to cry for it hurts a lot at that moment. Today, Christians sing for joy of victory for Jesus has risen and sitting at the right hand of the Majesty. You don't see us cry, we rejoice! We rejoice for God has saved us according to the richest of His mercies. We don't cry for Jesus, we shout for joy and sing Him praises.

Crucifixion was a very common method of Roman execution. It creeps me out to see people worshipping this method of execution -- it is as weird as someone wearing a little electric chair on a chain around their neck, or a rock to represent stoning.

Yes, I totally agree with you. That's why it is forbidden in the Bible to depict Jesus in any way, be it in symbols and images.

top topics

join