It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who has the best Special Forces ?

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
All special forces are good, but Spetsnaz are the best. Best trained, best equiped. After joining the army, I hope to join the Spetsnaz Red Berrets.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
The Israely Moussad is the best... That's what they thought my dad in the Dutch marines...

Of course killing/assesinating civil population, kids and kidnaping with hih tech gear is so easy.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Mossad, or to give it the official Israeli title, The Institute for Intelligence and Special Operations, is responsible directly to the head of Intelligence who in turn, reports directly to the Knesset.

Mossad is responsible for the development and gathering of external Intelligence, for conducting COIN and may also have a remit to mount covert actions which could include paramilitary operations.

Mossad today has differed very little from it's conception. At best, it can be seen to be a para-military intelligence organisation run along the lines of say the 50's CIA or the old 5th Directorate of the Office for State Security, a department within the KGB.

Mossad is not in the ORBAT of the IDF, is mainly staffed by civilians and as such, cannot truely be classed as Special Forces.

Shabak on the other hand, is the Military Intelligence and operates along the lines of the GRU Spetsnaz and as such, can be classified as special forces.

Unlike other national SF groups, very little is known about their operations, apart from the elimination of the terrorists who carried out the Munich Olympic outrage and the rescue of the Israeli hostages in Uganda at the Entebbe Airport.

CX

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I'm suprised this thread is still going, i always thought there was only so long a pi**ing contest could go on for!

Take a look at most of the posts, 9 times out of 10 the brits are going to say the SAS, the US are going to say their special forces, and the russians are going to say thiers.

Anyone who has worked with any of these units would be happy to have ANY of them with them in combat no matter what country they are from.

Lets just be glad most of the decent ones are on our side.

CX.

[edit on 7/7/06 by CX]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I think the real answer to this is in the situation arrising to decide which 'special forces' you will need.

Most special forces units have a past glittered with glory and pride under extremley harsh conditions and extreme odds of succes.

Personally i would favour the SBS over the SAS as they are more flexable and probably easily more adaptable with their insurtian in to hostile terrain, i have this on recommendation from an ex SAS soldier who was quick to praise this 'sister' unit. The parachute regiment 'Path finder' are also an exceptionally elite and highly versitile force in the ranks of the british military, although not 'officially' classed as a special force.

The American 'Delta' are a fantastically well trained elite but i ask myself would the british SAS have forgotten to take their night sites into somalia...i doubt it, either way, Delta are at the top with the best.

GsG9, spetsnaz, and the foregn legion all rank as highly trained and potentially lethal forces to deal with along with others i have missed out.

As an interesting foot note, i read a story about the sas dealing with some North korean commandos on a training exercise in the 50's, apparentley they were the toughest most dedicated special forces the SAS had ever seen, unfortunatley i cant remeber the source.

Bottom line, if any of the above come gunning for you...poop your pants and start running.

situations dictate.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Russian soldier
All special forces are good, but Spetsnaz are the best. Best trained, best equiped. After joining the army, I hope to join the Spetsnaz Red Berrets.
\

LMAO, maybe you shouldn't post when your sleep walking, dreams have no realtion to reality. Spetsnaz got their arse kicked in Afghanistan and Chechnya - I would rate them as abocve average soldiers nothing more.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
Spetsnaz got their arse kicked in Afghanistan and Chechnya - I would rate them as abocve average soldiers nothing more.

Russian demorolized and badly commanded army lost in Afganistan. Spetznaz interfered on rare occasions (especially vital and tough missions), and on most of them was highly successful. If you bothered to read some of this thread, Spetz mentioned their most successful operation a few times.

Also Spetznaz were very rarely used in Chechnya, and once again when they were they showed high success and very low casualty rate. IN fact with their and OMON's help, Russia won the war in Chechnya.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by maloy
Also Spetznaz were very rarely used in Chechnya, and once again when they were they showed high success and very low casualty rate. IN fact with their and OMON's help, Russia won the war in Chechnya.

Right, one the war like the AMericans in Iraq. HAHA, Russian soldiers get killed and maimed just about every other day in Iraq. Please how me some documention of your cliams, because the only person saying this is yuurself

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
Right, one the war like the AMericans in Iraq. HAHA, Russian soldiers get killed and maimed just about every other day in Iraq. Please how me some documention of your cliams, because the only person saying this is yuurself

It is a fact that the war in Chechnya is over. the first war lasted from 1995-1997. The second war lasted from 1999 to 2003. All of primary leaders of Chechen separatists like Maskhadov were eliminated. Now there is a bunch of warlord trying to wreck havoc. However Russia troops are on every corner, and pro-Russian Chechens have their own militias protecting villages from insurgents. It is not completely peaceful in Chechnya, but it is no longer considered war. Russian troops do get occassional casualties, but they are far lower than Americans in Iraq. Maybe once a week there is an attack on isolated Russian outpost. Otherwise thats it. i don't know what sources you want, but I know the facts because I watch Russian independent news and other sources.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
IMO:
British, Israeli, Aussie in that order. Britain and Israel have both proven themselves with the recovery of numerous hostages. I would not consider any of the US military, training is very poor in comparison to others, not to mention intelligence.

[edit on 12-7-2006 by the_gary]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:46 AM
link   
My Vote Goes to the Bad Boys of the 22nd regiment special air service.

These are serious with what they do and how they do, their selection process is the toughest in the world , thats why when other sf troopers come over here on secondment they have to pass selection 1st then they are allowed to play with our boys.

The SAS have been at the covert op games since WW2, and have spawned many copies, Aussie and NZ SAS are just an extenison of the Bristish one.

The US Seals are a bunch a serious mo fo as well but i know who i would rather come and resuce me if i was in the wrong palce at the wrong time.

The SAS have a proven track record in some of the worst places in the world. Look at the 1st iraq war, while US seal and Delta were running round southern iraq in their shade and dune buggies, the brits were tasked with taking out the scuds in northern iraq, and after a patrol got into trouble,(bad Intel from our friends in the CIA) end up ontop of a gun emplacment , they bugged out in a fire fight, some died, two were captured and tortoured by saddam(read Barvo two Zero by andy Mcnabb , patrol commander awarded the DCM) one walk to the sryina border,(read the one that got away by chris ryan) the longest ecaspe and evasion in the regiments history.

Afganistan, a patrol comes across a cave full of taliban, drop their kit and sneak in for a look, sneak out and call in a airstrike. also when a CIA opertive is stuck in a prison and the imates decide to riot, who gets him out and reclaims the prison!!

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
My vote goes to british 22. regiment SAS

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by snakebite
Afganistan, a patrol comes across a cave full of taliban, drop their kit and sneak in for a look, sneak out and call in a airstrike. also when a CIA opertive is stuck in a prison and the imates decide to riot, who gets him out and reclaims the prison!!

Umm that would be the royal marine commandos special boat service mate.....rumour is that one of them got the US MOH from it but I dont know if this is true or not..

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   
DW, I know that you don’t need to be a US citizen to receive the MOH but I think you have to be a US soldier; however you can receive the Congressional Gold MOH without being either.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Cant let this pass. Irish Army Rangers. Probalby the most combat trained 'neutral' army special foces. 30+y of CRT/HT in nasty places. Small, but nasty.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   

read Barvo two Zero by andy Mcnabb , patrol commander awarded the DCM) one walk to the sryina border,(read the one that got away by chris ryan)

Yes. Then read "The Real Bravo Two Zero" and then read "Soldier Five". You might even want to watch the "Panorama" report. Then start talking about who screwed up with the intel and back-up.

You could even go as far as reading "Eye of the Storm" by Radcliffe. 'Though he's not much better than the others.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   

The SAS have been at the covert op games since WW2, and have spawned many copies, Aussie and NZ SAS are just an extenison of the Bristish one.

PLuhease, copies pffft. Just because they have the same name does not mean they are copies. Austrlia's SASR forunner was " Z Special Force " which undertook missions in WW2 more daring than the Brit running arung the desert. Try sneaking thousands of miles behind enemy lines to Singapore and sinking 50 000 tonnes of ships - Z SPecial Force.

It was the Americans and the Local Afghan militia who retoo the prsion killkin about 800 Taliban. Not sure where you get your information from

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Actually it was a combination of Northern Alliance, American Special Forces and the British SBS commandos that helped to retake the place. Theres even a video of British commandos working with the Army Special Forces busying killing the Taliban fighters. I'll look it up.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Sorry, Rogue

Z Special Force and SASR have no relation to each other. Z Special Force's descendents are the Commandoes, not the Special Air Service.

And, as I said earlier, Iven Lyon was a Brit.

[edit on 12-7-2006 by HowlrunnerIV]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV
Sorry, Rogue

Z Special Force and SASR have no relation to each other. Z Special Force's descendents are the Commandoes, not the Special Air Service.

The realtionship in so far as special forces is concerned is that Australia had it's own SAS type special force. The point I was making was that AUstralia had been using commandos for as long as the British, we were using them as far back as hte Boer War in 1900.
The same could be said of the AMericans, they had Jedburghers etc adn had special force units going all the way back to the Civil War. The Brits don't have a monopoly, just because they seem to have the most members who write books when they retire.

THe US and Australians, wrote the book on jungle warfare and honed this book during the 10 years in Vietnam. If you want to read about the toughest hmbres around, look up the now defunct MACV-SOG - these guys regularly went deep behind the NVA lines in Vietnam in what coiuld be described as suicide missions. If you want to compare their missions to something - how about Brit SAS commandos operating around Berlin in 1942 - that's the equivalent.

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33 >>

join