It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Won't Release Emergency Oil To Ease Rising Prices

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Skimming is easy, and sometimes the best way to sum up...but you can miss the crucial parts of an argument.

While your post did come off a little "whiny," I stick up for you because you're just entering a new world full of information you may not be ready to handle. I was about your age when I first started coming here some 8 years ago, before this website even had a message board(I think...maybe I just ignored it because I knew it would be a bunch of people arguing minor details back and forth as opposed to talking about the actual issue at hand, but the internet is as such). It was mainly an archive of alternative info and military/government secrets at the time, and it was fantastic! Now there are all these people with their "views" and other nonsense. People will always have something to say to contradict you because it's easier to disprove someone else than it is to prove what you're saying.

But hey, I still love this site and will fight for it to the death. (the only thing ATS is lacking is a viking emoticon)

[edit on 3-1-2008 by Sacreligion]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by UnforgiveableSin

Unfortunately, EVERYONE in your part of the world will have to deal with much higher gas prices, as a result of the fall of the US dollar...
'
Until recently, GB, Europe and Asia have born the brunt of increases in petrol prices...

However, as the US $ has devalued, this has made increases in gas in the US much sharper over a lesser period of time than it may have been...

All I'm saying is...welcome to the era of hybrid4/6 cyls cars, or at lest fuel economical gas/lpg driven cars...and the death of gas only 6/8+ cyls cars...

Anyone who thinks its cool to own a guzzler is a knob, IMHO...And needs to consider whether they really belong in current society...

You can only play Pantera full bore from a back of a pickup with spotlights blinding and to shoot whatever falls in your line of sight...

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
HEY! You leave Pantera out of this!

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Sacreligion

Yes, I admit I did come off a bit whiny, but ts not what this topic was actually about.

I've actually been a lurker for about 2 years I think, or just over a year. I just finally decided to post some stuff and become an official member not too long ago. Oh dear, a viking is my school mascot

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Bush not releasing oil from the National Reserve is clearly the best thing the man has ever done as president...

He and his advisors obviously know the harm that would be done if those who owned fuel guzzlers were able to access gas at the same rate as more fuel efficient vehicles...

The lesson is, the more gas you guzzle, the more you pay...Why should the rest of the nation subsidise truckers and other heavy fuel users...

No more subsidies !!

You pay for what you use...

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Guys...

In the UK at the moment, with current exchange rates you'd be paying $9.31 a gallon for diesel.

What do you pay at the moment?

You don't realise how lucky you are. Really.

exactly some americans dont know how easy they have most things compared to us.
they better get use to it as their econemy is going through some changes and soon they will have to adapt

anyone heard of Car pooling or public transport?

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

ugh...for the fourth time. while the thread title might specify bush's actions the main problem that should be discussed is the us economy as a whole. stop getting all pretentious.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
i agree the current economy here is floating and you can only apply so much pressure to the handle before it flushes.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

Originally posted by neformore
Guys...

In the UK at the moment, with current exchange rates you'd be paying $9.31 a gallon for diesel.

What do you pay at the moment?

You don't realise how lucky you are. Really.

exactly some americans dont know how easy they have most things compared to us.
they better get use to it as their econemy is going through some changes and soon they will have to adapt

anyone heard of Car pooling or public transport?

Okay, Im going to say this again, the thread may point to gas problems in turn you think I'm a whining American, but that is not what this is about. It is about the effects that it will cause.
And yes, I bum rides off my friends.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
and here public transport can rarely be counted on to be on schedule so how exactly is it to be used to get any where when arrival time is a factor, hell where i live the bus is either allways late, extremly early or a good amount of time dosent even show up. and that in my area is your only public transport. not that i have a problem getting around im disabled and dont work but i know those who do and they simply cant show up several times a week late or not at all and keep there job. and "the bus is at fault " wont cut it .

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Thill

I agree Oil is just now getting even relatively expensive here in the states I think that some of the folks on here should go check the gas prices in the EU where by the way they pay by the liter at about 2 times the cost we do..

1 U.S. Gallon = 3.785 liters

so look at it this way 20 gallon tank is at least more than 60 liters
at these prices then complain the prices below have been converted US gallons

Netherlands Amsterdam $6.48
Norway Oslo $6.27
Italy Milan $5.96
Denmark Copenhagen $5.93
Belgium Brussels $5.91
Sweden Stockholm $5.80
United Kingdom London $5.79
Germany Frankfurt $5.57
France Paris $5.54
Portugal Lisbon $5.35
Hungary Budapest $4.94
Luxembourg $4.82
Croatia Zagreb $4.81
Ireland Dublin $4.78
Switzerland Geneva $4.74
Spain Madrid $4.55
Japan Tokyo $4.24
Czech Republic Prague $4.19
Romania Bucharest $4.09
Andorra $4.08
Estonia Tallinn $3.62
Bulgaria Sofia $3.52
Brazil Brasilia $3.12
Cuba Havana $3.03
Taiwan Taipei $2.84
Lebanon Beirut $2.63
South Africa Johannesburg $2.62
Nicaragua Managua $2.61
Panama Panama City $2.19
Russia Moscow $2.10
Puerto Rico San Juan $1.74
Saudi Arabia Riyadh $0.91
Kuwait Kuwait City $0.78
Egypt Cairo $0.65
Nigeria Lagos $0.38
Venezuela Caracas $0.12

If you notice we don't have it all that bad the problem is that we Americans drive the 2-3 city blocks to the store instead of hoping on the bicycle to ride to the store or taking a stroll with your better half or loved ones

some of you should try walking sometime it is really quite nice I ride my bike places 12 miles away yes I will admit that when you are first getting started you may have some sore mornings however the benefits soon make them selves evident. I am not saying don't use a car or don't own and SUV (I own one 9 miles to the gallon) but get off your arse and put a little physical effort then you will have earned the right to complain

I know that some of you will think it is easy for a kid but I am no longer a kid myself by the standard of many though to some I still am.. I am in my mid 30's and I do it and I will continue to do it as long as I live...

Respectfully
GEO

[edit on 1/3/2008 by geocom]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
the term 'emergency oil' is an inappropriate hot button term...

the 'Strategic Reserve' is what is not going to be used as political tool,
(recall that Clinton released multi millions of barrels of the Strategic Reserve...but through his friends who reaped in the massive profits
who 'purchased' the Strateic Reseves & then sold it to the refiners)

the text of the article points to the reason for the $100 bbl price...
--->> its about supply

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thill
lol its so funny to listen to all the US people whining about high gas pricess
the truth is you had very very low gas pricess for a very very long time and you got used to it

In my crappy country we pay arround 2$ per liter (which would be arround 6.5$ per gallon) and nobody is rioting

I know that gas pricess are skyrocketing and that its a very bad thing so dont get me wrong , its just funny to watch people whining over something that alot of countries had for a very long time

[edit on 3-1-2008 by Thill]

It is true that Europeans have been paying more for fuel for much longer than we Americans have, but lets put this in perspective.There is a much more pronounced mass transit system in Europe simply being because the countries are much smaller than the US...going from country to country there is like going to another state here. We have a much larger country that makes having a mass transit system much, much more expensive and unrealistic.So that leaves us with further distances to travel and as far as mass transit here ...that pretty much leaves planes.So in short we consume more fuel which in the long run we would end up paying 2 to 3 times more than the Europeans overall.

[edit on 3-1-2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnforgiveableSin
[Bush Won't Release Emergency Oil To Ease Rising Prices

GOOD! It's there for national emergency situations. (major war, major natural disaster, etc) The rising oil prices are not a national emergency. they are a pain in the butt and totally unnecessary ... but they are not a national emergency.

The oil needs to be saved for a real emergency. This ain't it.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Our emergency oil reserves are for just that... EMERGENCIES. We shouldn't be tapping into them as a way of lowering gas prices. And in case you weren't aware, releasing our strategic oil reserves would have an extremely minimal effect on gas prices. Certainly not a large enough effect to risk our national security by emptying or reducing our stockpiles.

God forbid our leaders tap into our reserves just to save the people a few cents at the pumps, only to have a national emergency erupt and no oil reserves to tap into. That oil is there for a good reason, and it's not to reduce gas prices for civilians. What happens if WWIII breaks out (some say it already has), and Iran's military makes it impossible to get oil tankers out of the Gulf? Could you imagine how many of our enemies would love to take advantage of our military not even having enough fuel to defend our nation?

Anyway, even with oil at $100 a barrel, we here in the US are still paying far less for gas than people in other countries do. I'm sure folks in places like England wish they could get regular unleaded for $2.90 a gallon! And with inflation factored in, I think we're still paying less than we should be at this point in time.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

I have to agree with what you are saying about mass transit expense but only to a point one thing that makes it expensive as well is the attitude of my fellow Americans to not be willing to use the Mass transit the fewer riders you have the more it costs all of them so even if we had it we probably wouldn't use it..

It's the whole born to be wild rebel thing as in yes I want to fix the environment but no I don't want to give up my SUV.. I speak from experience on this as I said before my first instinct before I take the bicycle anywhere is to take the truck but I fight it off the urge and get the bike our and take it instead..I just can't justify using the gas as long as my legs will get me there in a timely manner

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I do not believe that we should tap emergency reserves either. What's the point. It would only be a 10 second band aid on a much bigger problem. If we (Americans) are thinking that gas prices are high now then we are really going to be flipping out when they hit 5 buck or 6 bucks a gallon. No reserve oil is going to save us from this. We need alternative solutions to foreign oil and we needed them 10 years ago.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I dropped my higher fuel usage mid-sized SUV two years ago not only because it was get well up in miles but because of the cost at the pump. I had a child on the way at the time and needed to think about extra cost.

I now drive a small front wheel drive car the gets pretty decent mileage. I have a bit more difficulty on getting to work some times in the winter but at least I’m spending half as much at the pump.

I have gotten used to my small car now and I have grown really fond of the price I am paying at the pump. If I didn’t have to travel nearly 30 rural miles to get to my job I would look into a different means of transportation. That or until they make some nice hybrids more affordable for those of us on the lower end of the pay scale.

Unfortunately there seems to be more problems in this for many others. Not everyone can just afford to go out and get a car that gets better mileage because of income, at the same time banks that used to loan to anyone with a pulse are now tightening their belts. Along with the many other economic problems I see around me this will add to budget plight many face on a daily basis. As stated in a previous post it is not just the price itself but the added strain on an already weakening economy. Though in my area things may not be affected as much in others at this moment things are starting to show more every day.

So before someone here start to laugh and point about this whole issue look at things on a much broader scale. Look at the scale where some are straining to get by as is, look at how they may miss a much needed meal to put gas in their car to get to work to give much of that money to an overly greedy government through taxes. While the U.S. as a whole might have it much easier than most places it is still not a great thing to see when people lose their homes, jobs or flat out go hungry. So while some may think this is a minor in convenience to every American to complain about this can a very detrimental thing to many households. Granted some of those people put themselves in their situation themselves but not everyone who relies on them helped make that choice.

Again this is more than fuel price it is about economics of a country as a whole and what is to come. But still dipping into emergency fuel is not an answer I see working. Ending the role of big business worldwide and killing the corporate monsters is the only true solution. Since they only seem to control governments and drive prices up while in many different ways destroying the lives of those who they sell their products to.

Ah I still dream of the days when fuel cost less than a dollar a gallon, how I miss them.

Raist

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
Exactly some Americans dont know how easy they have most things compared to us.
They better get use to it as their economy is going through some changes and soon they will have to adapt.

Anyone heard of Car pooling or public transport?

Carpooling won't help the drought Bodrul..

Yeah your right never mind the dollar falling and the deep freeze we had earlier in 2007 and the drought- farmers loosing 90 percent of their crops.

Now oil has reached the 100 mark and we're in the middle of another freezing snap.

Meanwhile Bush is draining us dry with the stupid funding for Iraq- while he veto's the Childrens health care bill and the farmers aid bill. We're perhaps over 9 trillion in debt and you say we're lucky? I don't see the Queen of England bankrupting her own country do you?

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
i think more americans travel long commutes to work and support
our families. i'd love to be able to get around on a 50cc motorbike
but i'd have to leave 6 hours early to get to work.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join