It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is North Korea about to collapse from within?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Just in a story on North Korea running out of food and winter is about half over. Furthermore summer crops coming off is at least 6 month away. Only the UN can save them now. Check out the article.

www.rense.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
With its current leaders, who think that making nukes is more important than feeding its people, yes N.K will collapse sonner than we think.

UhOh. I am agreeing with you. What the heck is wrong with me?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
It's a horrible situation.
Weren't there reports of cannibalism coming out of North Korea, as well?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Yep, its really going down.
The food aid is going to be cut off and the country depends on it. Here is an article on their concentration camps...
xmb.stuffucanuse.com...

Their cities are so undeveloped that I read they don't have any major roads from them, just tracks, it would collapse from within, if the people were aware of what actually is happening, since they consider their sitation "normal" they don't realise what their leaders are doing to them.

It will take a while for this last dictatorship to die, but when it goes it will be fast.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   

It will take a while for this last dictatorship to die, but when it goes it will be fast.

I am not so sure about your first sentence. When people are so hungry that practise cannabalism, situation is really worse.

And in really worse situations, people tend to connect the situation to government. So if this continues, we will be seeing the end of the current gov't very very soon.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I think we don't realise how isolated and programmed their society is. Other societies such as Romania, etc, had lots of western input and that helped them overthrough their leaders, and at least see that they could have a new life under a different system.

These guys have NOTHING, no outside media, no alternative news, if they get ANY news they probably would eat the papers.

In this situation, which is probably the most repressed the world has seen since Albania (which was an open society compared to this), until they get so desperate they have nothing to lose and somehow realise that their government is DOING this to them, then they won't rebel.

Hence the wait will be a while, but once they realise what has happened and who is to blame, then they will revolt enmass very quickly.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Can some one confirm the cannabilism? thats kinda scary....

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Check out this political discussion on NTH Korea ... its humorous...

bbs.chinadaily.com.cn...

Kim is a very intelligent man as well as courageous. If he were stupid enough to be like Saddam Hussein of Iraq and dismantle his most effective weapon, then he will also be like Saddam Hussein and be in hiding with the Americans in control of his country as soon as he dismantled his nuclear bombs. Looking at the situation from the perspective of Kim, his most effective strategy is to make as many nuclear bombs as possible and make it absolutely clear that he is prepared to use them. Only then would he be safe. And incidentally, China would have a secure shield against America's attacking from S. Korea.

The Americans will sent their dogs in the NUCLEAR INSPECTION TEAM and they will accuse dear leader LIKE WHAT THEY DID TO GOOD OLE SADDAM. You cannot disput the Americans that they LIE OR THAT THEY ARE DISHONEST. We already know what they did TO GOOD OLE SADDAM and they will do the same thing to dear leader. In my previous articles (before the illegal invasion of Iraq) that THE AMERICANS MADE GOOD OLE SADDAM PROVE THE IMPOSSIBLE, the Americans made good ole Saddam PROVE THAT SADDAM DOES NOT HAVE ANY WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION. There is no logic on earth that a person can prove such a negative. Any first law student will have learned "THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PROVE THE NEGATIVE"; you can never PROVE THAT A NON EXISTENT FACT DOES NOT EXIST. The Americans knew that such "negative proof is an impossible assignment to accomplish." It was just plain EVIL FOR THE AMERICANS TO REQUIRE GOOD OLE SADDAM TO PROVE THAT HE DOES NOT HAVE WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION AFTER SADDAM WENT PUBLIC THAT HE HAS DESTROYED HIS WMD.

I also added more articles to my collection of Nth Korea stuff...
xmb.stuffucanuse.com...

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
www.google.com... =UTF-8

www.instapundit.com...

Cannibalism is increasing in North Korea following another poor harvest and a big cut in international food aid, according to refugees who have fled the stricken country.

The reporter is being polite. What he means to say is �Following years of communism.�

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The documentary on the BBC about North Korea and it's prison camps was shocking. At the moment in North Korea, if somebody commits treason or a crime against the government then 3 generations of his family will be sent to prison camps for the rest of their lives. It was revealed that many of the people ( women and children and families ) where being used as test subjects for biological weapons like poison gass and stuff, it was sickening.

found a good article about it at the Guardian site.

the remote north-eastern corner of North Korea, close to the border of Russia and China, is Haengyong. Hidden away in the mountains, this remote town is home to Camp 22 - North Korea's largest concentration camp, where thousands of men, women and children accused of political crimes are held.
Now, it is claimed, it is also where thousands die each year and where prison guards stamp on the necks of babies born to prisoners to kill them.

Over the past year harrowing first-hand testimonies from North Korean defectors have detailed execution and torture, and now chilling evidence has emerged that the walls of Camp 22 hide an even more evil secret: gas chambers where horrific chemical experiments are conducted on human beings.

These reports have been substanciated by evidence the BBC found, a letter of transit to a group of victims. This was then, in the documentary, shown to a defected korean officer who work at the concentration camps who said it was real. The west cannot give any aid to this government.

www.guardian.co.uk..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   
We can only hope that NK will fall down from the inside

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Having speculated and mentioned this on more than one or two occasions, it's definitely a matter of time before some sort of governmental implosions occurs in North Korea.
'Word on the street', and thats pretty heavily guarded, speculates the Kim is having some serious health "issues", as well.

One of a few US stance's is one of offering possible help/aid for concessions, for which North Korea is not willing to do. So what you have is a case of the US, and other nations, having to stand and watch as Kim and his government continue to "test biological and chemical weapons" on those placed in "gulags" and millions of people literally starve to death because Kim's insistance on maintaining military sovereignty. I'm sure that Kim is still eating quite well today?

The nation is a "implosion" waiting to happen. Bet on it.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I thought I read an article a couple of weeks ago, that claimed NK was going to invest more in agriculture...I searched for it, but can't find it anymore...

Anyway, they have problems with food supply for decades:

Millions of North Koreans face food shortage

and

UN warns of North Korea food crisis

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I bet the south koreans are really mad they could be living in the same workers paradise if the US had not savagly attacked North Korea when they were peacefully trying to reunite (extreme sarcasam)

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Seekerof has suggested and maybe said here before what I am about to say and have said here before, that the problem in North Korea may not be Kim itself but the military.

Yes rumours are swirling about that Kim is not well and not seen much lately in public, some even suggested he was out of the country for a period. Regardless of what happens it is the same old hard line like we used to see in Russia before the leadership collapsed, or at least made friendly overtures to the west due to desparation. I wonder if that is what is going on. So the real question is this: Is Kim someone we can do 'business' with or not?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
An unhealthy Kim with the walls closing in on him is a scary thought. When you corner a deranged pitbull with rabies something bad's going to happen. Would he be more likely to do something stupid, ie invade the south, use Chem/Bio weaps, or a Nuke?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Thats the scary thing about insane people.....who knows? Lets just hope somewhere down the chain of command someone is sane enough to stop it before a few million people die.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Amuk,

agreed, there is no need for anyone to die, it is highly wasteful and counter productive.

what they have to do is find ways to take care of the power that is the military in NK when the reunification with South Korea is underway.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This N. korea thing is kinda scary....I'm gonna end up over there next, and thats gonna be 100 times worse than Iraq.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Just in a story on North Korea running out of food and winter is about half over. Furthermore summer crops coming off is at least 6 month away. Only the UN can save them now. Check out the article.

www.rense.com...

is north korea about to collapse?

god we can only hope so

top topics

<<   2 >>

join