It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snorting a Brain Chemical Could Replace Sleep

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Snorting a Brain Chemical Could Replace Sleep

www.wired.com

In what sounds like a dream for millions of tired coffee drinkers, Darpa-funded scientists might have found a drug that will eliminate sleepiness.A nasal spray containing a naturally occurring brain hormone called orexin A reversed the effects of sleep deprivation in monkeys, allowing them to perform like well-rested monkeys on cognitive tests. The discovery's first application will probably be in treatment of the severe sleep disorder narcolepsy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.blacklistednews.com

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Well here ya go all you late night ATS'ers. Something to help you get to sleep! LOL Pretty funny that it of course is DARPA funded scientists in the mix. Personally, I have no problems sleeping, but maybe this could help if oyu are into taking drugs to help you sleep. They say it doesn't cause edginess. Sounds weird to try the drug out first on the narcoleptics. That is a pretty major disease. But hey, if it helps them right? Hope what the title suggests about replacing sleep doesn't happen. We would be in big trouble then. Nothing beats actual rest in order to function properly.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Wow, thats cool. Imagine the possibilities??? We truly are living in
the future. How long you think until it reaches consumers?

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

I think you have misread the article. This is not a drug that will help one go to sleep but will give the effects of having slept without actually sleeping.

Orexin A is a promising candidate to become a "sleep replacement" drug.

This could be good if only used every once in a while as you body truly needs sleep. For instance when in battle or when doing a search for someone that is missing, or even the occasional get you through work.

I would really love to find an affordable medication also covered by insurance that would help me sleep. I take a quite a while to get to sleep and then wake up often throughout my sleep period. I do get to sleep quicker now that I no longer smoke, but at the same time I now have the thing where I wake up all the time.

Raist

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
What I first thought of when I read this was the military. Providing this for solders would be beneficial in battle. Being sleep deprived is common and dangerous.
Second I cant help but wonder about the long term effects.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
It will be interseting to see the efects on humans if they go ahead with thier testing program.

I would think that with the correct balance of diet, suplements and a little controlled rest you could survive quite healthily with very little sleep.

I have been imagining similar ideas for years now and what possible vitamin and mineral suplements would be needed.

I am sure it can be done, lets just hope for the test subjects sake that they get it right.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This would be great in some instantces....like those who work looong hours.

My husband has been known to work 14+hrs straight out on a flightline (especially when deployed).....this would have been a blessing LOL

Or those who work 3 on 3 off shifts (firefighters)

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Funny, I saw this thread title yesterday, but it had 20+ replies then.

I find out the original thread with exact same title has been moved to BTS
www.belowtopsecret.com...

And when yours have been moved of trashed, I can start same topic here.

Is that the idea with ATS?

Is it the word "snorting" making the subject so appealing it deserves multiple threads?

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Please contribute to the above linked existing discussion.

Thread closed.

top topics

join