It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I mean no offence but i was just thinking...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Does anyone wonder if an open minded yet highly rational and sceptical approach may be a lot more useful in approaching the possibilities of the universe et al, rather than running away with hyper-imaginative speculation. Scepticism doesn't have to mean Dorkins style total denial, it just means not making up hypothetical stories or glamorous and unscientific explanations - in fact i doubt there are many people on this board who knows anything about astrophysics or chemistry etc etc. I'm not saying that's bad, i'm just saying that the human race could do with a little self education in pursuit of wisdom.

I reallly mean no offence.

I just think there are a huge number of attention seekers making up stories (you know who you are) which confuses and scare (nasty emotion) those whose minds are as open as a barn door on a windy day, and would greatly benefit their personal development by maning the door. Its all very unnecessary.

I'm not surprised politicians can't govern us when it seems we can't even govern our own heads.

On the other hand i read this forum out of amusement, thanks for cheering me up! Lol

[edit on 29-12-2007 by AnnoLuce]

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnnoLuce
Does anyone wonder if an open minded yet highly rational and sceptical approach may be a lot more useful in approaching the possibilities of the universe et al, rather than running away with hyper-imaginative speculation. Scepticism doesn't have to mean Dorkins style total denial, it just means not making up hypothetical stories or glamorous and unscientific explanations - in fact i doubt there are many people on this board who knows anything about astrophysics or chemistry etc etc. I'm not saying that's bad, i'm just saying that the human race could do with a little self education in pursuit of wisdom.

I reallly mean no offence.

I just think there are a huge number of attention seekers making up stories (you know who you are) which confuses and scare (nasty emotion) those whose minds are as open as a barn door on a windy day, and would greatly benefit their personal development by maning the door. Its all very unnecessary.

I'm not surprised politicians can't govern us when it seems we can't even govern our own heads.

On the other hand i read this forum out of amusement, thanks for cheering me up! Lol

Since I joined the boards, I have posted the same thing many times! Open minded but highly rational is the only way to get true quantifiable results in this field, less we it be exposed to ridicule and hostility.

Only when all possible rational explanations have been explored, examined and exhausted should we look to the other end of the spectrum, and then in a scientific way based on empirical evidence.

Never should the facts get in the way of a good story, as seems to be the case a lot not only here, but on a lot of boards across the internet.

I cite for example the picture of Saturn's Rings in a tread recently, with an 'object' shown nearby. 30+ pages of UFOs, Alien Motherships intent on harvesting teh human race, Invasion craft, time travelers, humans seeding the galaxy... when it turned out to one of Saturn's own moons!! Simple investigation could have cleared it up within 20 seconds.

Peace out,

FF

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fraank Fontaine

I cite for example the picture of Saturn's Rings in a tread recently, with an 'object' shown nearby. 30+ pages of UFOs, Alien Motherships intent on harvesting teh human race, Invasion craft, time travelers, humans seeding the galaxy... when it turned out to one of Saturn's own moons!! Simple investigation could have cleared it up within 20 seconds.

Peace out,

FF

And that's a WRONG example, since what turned out to be one of the Saturn's Moons (Prometheus) wasn't the one of the OP.

[edit on 29/12/2007 by internos]

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by merka

Has it ever occured to you, that evolution doesn't optimize anything, it simply states that people with certain properties stay away more often than others, when any such property causes that.

Humans, though, have created a western civilization which works by rules never before seen in biological history, which causes humans not to work properly. It also means that people who do manage to live their lifes according to needs of survival of a species, causes such genes to become more common in gene pool..

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Oddly enough, although I agree with your general sentiments, the actual truth in many cases remains a mystery. Some of that mystery is certainly manipulated for the protection of some.

For example, lets take animal mutilations, for discussion.

We could write them all off as caused by predators, but what if some of those cases are actual military experiments on the food chain and or mass hysteria?

I'm not one to throw out any random fantasies just to start a thread, but I do believe in some cases, the truth is actually closer to some of those crazy theories kicked around than we'd like to admit.

If we limited discussion to known facts things would get real quiet, real quick.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AnnoLuce

My general take on the paranormal even when dealing with 'lunatic fringe' subjects, is to take witnesses to phenomenon seriously (unless they are not credible or can be debunked). Since one can be put to death in this country based upon eyewitness testimony. I have no problem taking the eyewitness testimony of say even some one allegedly seeing a Reptilian seriously.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
both have thier strengths and weakneses yet they compliment each other very well.
with imagination you can imagine more posibilities,whilst logic allows you to understand with more accuracy.

the greatest minds in history had combined the two skills of imagination and logic,such as da vinci,archimides and einstien.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by senshido
For example, lets take animal mutilations, for discussion.

We could write them all off as caused by predators, but what if some of those cases are actual military experiments on the food chain and or mass hysteria?

The military is rather ignorant if they havent quite understood the concept of meat going into your stomach to sustain you.

And of course, there are like 10,000 different theories on mutilations. I say the combined theories solves the most answers.

The NWO goverment in league with the Reptillians from the backside of the moon conduct experients on cows to battle the dimension travelling Greys coming from beneath the face of Mars that is actually an old Annunaki outpost that existed before Atlantis was destroyed by the Nordics in the great war between the ancient Egyptian "Gods" and the ancient Indian "Gods" in an attempt to keep time travelling fallen angels from gaining control of global defense system which caused the Tunguska explosion.

See, I can make thinkwork.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Fraank Fontaine

Hey Crazy Guggenheim,

I found this comment interesting:

Since I joined the boards, I have posted the same thing many times!

Seeing as how you've been a member for 3 1/2 days with a total of 22 posts, it may serve you well to do a little more digging before coming to any final conclusions regarding ATS and the Alien/UFO forums.

Some tremendous work has and is being done in this field directly attributed to ATS and it's members.

Sure you can pick and choose a few off the wall threads. It comes with the territory.

I look forward to more of your insightful posts. After all you are a long time contributor and member here.

Becker

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   

And what would you say about 300+ pages long thread in which OP didn't give any evidence of his claims yet, he has a herd of gullible people just floking in there and all buying into it. Now, THAT's something we should be worried about.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Who are these attention seekers making up stories? Please point them out so I can beware.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Breadfan

And what would you say about 300+ pages long thread in which OP didn't give any evidence of his claims yet, he has a herd of gullible people just floking in there and all buying into it. Now, THAT's something we should be worried about.

I've wondered many a time why that thread wasn't moved to Skunkworks ages ago...It has literally ZERO evidence for its claims, yet the admins of this site like to close other threads that make similar claims for not producing any evidence?

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
as far as which works to beware of, Most ( not all) are in skunkworks.

It also depends on the intent of the thread poster. If a thread is started presenting information, thats one thing, if it is presented to further a personal agenda ( points, books, political views, religious views etc. ) those are the ones to be wary of.

there are many well educated people on this board, having said that, there are also many that do not have open minds because of said education. I myself gave up 6 years of astrophysics education to join the Marines, because I was sick of being "book" smart, yet having no "common" sense.

I strive to learn everyday, about anything that strikes me that day, does this make me "better" I do not think so, just different. Does this make me an "expert'? Possibly it does, an expert and learning new things everyday

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by evanmontegarde

I've wondered many a time why that thread wasn't moved to Skunkworks ages ago...It has literally ZERO evidence for its claims, yet the admins of this site like to close other threads that make similar claims for not producing any evidence?

Because the guy has protection by the mods. The thread is impossible to follow (unless you spend half of your day reading it seven days a week), the OP (Sleeper) has given NO evidence of his claims, neither a photo or even some simple drawing and yet, he's allowed to literally preach other people and tell them what IS and what is NOT.

That's for folks like me, pretty insulting. It reminds me on those Bible preachers that tell you all sorts of stuff yet they have no evidence to back their claims.

The difference is though, Sleeper is not charging anyone to listen to him, and he may actually be a nice guy, but to have his overgrown thread pop up every so an then, because someone replied to a post on a 234th page, is really anoying.

I did post a thread about this some time ago and the mods just removed it without an explanation (well, there was an automated message though, I guess they were either lazy or didn't have a valid answers to my questions).

That's pretty much it.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Does anyone wonder if an open minded yet highly rational and sceptical approach may be a lot more useful in approaching the possibilities of the universe et al, rather than running away with hyper-imaginative speculation.

Well, yeah... but it's not as much fun.

If we go strictly by what has been studied and accepted by mainstream science, then we have no direct evidence or conclusive proof of any life anywhere other than what we have here on Earth. None.

A lot of people point to the Drake Equation when trying to figure out the probabilities of ET life, but we don't even know how to arrive at accurate figures for a lot of the variables. And it only takes one zero in that equation to make the whole equation equal zero.

We can speculate about alternate or parallel universes of dimensions, but come on. They may make mathematical sense, but math is a notoriously poor approximation of reality. I don't know about you, but I'm only personally aware of one real universe, which has 3-4 dimensions, if you count time as a dimension.

So that leaves us in a great big, hostile universe. Radiation everywhere. The stars and planets are so far apart travel between them is extremely difficult and very unlikely. It's just as probable that there zero intelligent civilizations out there as a billion. We have a lot of sightings, but no evidence good enough for us to give us a clue as to what they might be.

That's it. That's the extent of our discussion from a rational, logical point of view using the currently available evidence. The end.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becker44

Seeing as how you've been a member for 3 1/2 days with a total of 22 posts, it may serve you well to do a little more digging before coming to any final conclusions regarding ATS and the Alien/UFO forums.

>>SNIP>>

I look forward to more of your insightful posts. After all you are a long time contributor and member here.

Becker

Ah, nothing like a little sarcasm to warm up a chilly evening! Hello to you too! :-)

Been a very long time ATS reader (many years), just never had the time to post between hectic work life, family and everything that goes with real life...

I'll try to be sure that my posts do not disappoint in future ;-)

[edit on 29-12-2007 by Fraank Fontaine]

[edit on 29-12-2007 by Fraank Fontaine]

top topics

join