It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Middle East censors seek to limit Web access

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Middle East censors seek to limit Web access

www.mcclatchydc.com

In Iran, a large red icon pops up on computer screens. In Syria, there's a discreet note from the filter. Other Arab nations display "blocked" in bold lettering or issue crafty "page not found" replies.

However the censors put it, the message is clear: You're not permitted to see this Web site.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28/12/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Mideast governments are sensoring more and more websites like Flicker, My Space, You Tube and Facebook. Only 4 mideast governments are not sensoring (Lebanon, Morocco, Egypt and Jordon). Censorship is spreading throughout the Arab states!

Are any of you ATS members affected by this? Is the ATS site being sensored in any of these countries yet? Is there anything that can be done about censorship other than illegal evasion tactics?

www.mcclatchydc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Now im all for freedom of religion, and government, but when the last bastion of true free speech (the internet) is threatened, I will make a stand. I didnt believe in Gulf War 1, the Afghanistan War, or Gulf War version 2. BUT i cannot tolerate the censorship of the internet. When the internet in terms of free speech is threatened is the only time i will endorse cyber guerilla tactics such as hacking. And if anywhere besides china ( which controls all free speech anyways ((pardon my generalizations)) ) I will be infuriated.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
this isnt going to accomplish much any decent hacker can get around that quite easily.

Huh no What I was saying was that this wont stop many people only noobs.

It is a system very hackable is what I was saying and easy to get around.

[edit on 28-12-2007 by NWOplayerhater]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
If that last comment was directed at me just keep in mind on fridays i am a rambling drunk.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
For those of you that want to brush up on what is meant by internet proxies, check with Wiki. It's an internet server that hooks you into another server that provides the (blocked) website you want.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Just use a proxy server and you can bypass pretty much anything. I block MySpace on my network but my sisters still manage to bypass it...

(They get emo when people post negative comments on their profile... so I say, why let them post on your profile?... they still want people to comment on their pages... meh... teenagers..)

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

Thanks Plumranch. Good information to have. I've read already that there are censorship filters in place in the US, the UK and other places in Europe. As you said, it just comes up "page not found". And anyone looking for occult or conspiracy info will have a hard time finding the real gems.

Cheers,
Chutso

[edit on 29/12/07 by chutso_ha]

new topics

top topics

join