It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Guitarists: Favorite Tuning? Favorite Chord?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 04:48 AM
link   
As for tuning, I've always been partial to D# (Eb) and felt most comfortable with it. All songs that my band plays are either written in D# or Drop C# (Db). I have a baritone-to-bass sort of voice that benefits greatly from a lower tuning and something just "feels right" about it. I also have a growing affinity for Open G.

As far as my favorite chord: Abm. It has that wonderful dark but somber sound that is near and dear to me.

How about the rest of you? How are you typically tuned? What is your favorite tuning/chord? And, if you are able to express it, why is it your favorite?

/tn.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Strat Always tuned in standard A440.

Resonator tuned in G, sometimes D for bottleneck slide

We play almost everything in G because that where the vocalist feels comfortable; when I sing, I like A, Am or E. They don't let me sing anything but Dylan tunes as I can mimic him pretty fair.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
standard tuning and powerchords

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
standard tuning.
i am not in a band and don't push any vocals...just me and my rig so i stick to standard.
favorite chord.....i like good ale Am a lot.
A5 is vary nice too.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I'm all about standard tuning for the majority of my axes, but when the resonator comes out, Open D or Open A is the only thing that works for me.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Guitars to me just dont seem to feel right in anything else than standard tuning.I use a few tunings with dif guitars,from Drop D-to a Drop C but standard feels kind of natural

I aslo dont mind the semitone down tuning a lot of axe men like Malsteen use as it loosens the strings a tad for more extreme vibrato and a slighly darker tone

and yeahh A5 rules bro

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
There are many very cool tunings like the ones mentioned above.
BUT
If you want Perfect Harmonic Balance

the ONLY way to get it is by tuning to a-432.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I guess it depends on what I am playing. I always have my Selmer guitars tuned standard EADGBE, and only use them for Gypsy Jazz. However, if I feel in the mood to play some Kaki King/Preston Reed style guitar I usually tune my old Flatop one of the following...

Open C: CGCGCE
Fifths: CGDAEB
D Modal: DADGAD or DADADD
or something like: DADGCC or DADGCE

I play quite a few styles of music and I try not to limit myself with standard tuning. I don't think my old 60's flatop has ever been in standard tuning since I have owned it, and I usually keep my Archtop guitar in a modal tuning as well. I actually quite prefer Open or Modal tunings compared to standard, and I have found that they add a whole new range of percussive ambiance to the sound. However, for a good majority of the music I play standard tuning will suit just fine.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Just very recently I have been experimenting with C6 tuning on my old lap steel. Perfect for the I-VI-II western swing style that is either making a resurgence or has always been popular but I just wasn't aware.
It's great that my current crew let's me get out from behind the URB every now and then.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Gotta go with Drop D down a whole step to C on this one. Nothing shakes the jewels quite like that! We play a few covers too, mostly in standard tuning, but the fave is drop D down to C.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Standard or drop D. Drop D gives the nice possibility of going deep.

As for the chord. I've been stuck on A Minor for a long time now.

new topics

top topics

join