It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion heard at Bhutto rally (Bhutto Killed)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Explosion heard at Bhutto rally

edition.cnn.com

RAWALPINDI. Pakistan (CNN) -- An explosion near a political rally for former Pakistan Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto has killed at least at least 14 people in Rawalpindi, local police say.

The bomber is said to have detonated a bomb as he tried to enter the rally where thousands of people gathered to hear Bhutto speak, police added.

A spokesman for Bhutto told CNN she was leaving the rally.
(visit the link for the full news article)

-------------------------------
Title edit to reflect death of B. Bhutto

[edit on 27/12/07 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I am watching the developments live on CNN. It was just said that according to her husband she was in fact critically injured from the blast. I just wonder what would happen in Pakistan in case this news is confirmed... A new state of emergency maybe?

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
BBC are reporting her death. A terrible shame if it's true

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Yes, it is confirmed. Bhutto has died. Terrible news indeed...

So what is your take on this horrible development? How will things unfold?

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
oh dear,musharaff has chosen the path of dictator,this doesnt bode well.

my reading of this is that musharaffs behind this,due to the fact the elections are due soon and he wished to resume the state of emergency.

i hope hes merciful and has good reasons for actions,ie the al qaeda,talibian problem.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This is horrible. The worst part is, its not over. Democracy is dead in Pakistan and it may not be far off from a Fundametalist Hell that is in Iraq and was in Afghanistan.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   
this is bad, bad news....
i can't believe it

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
few threads up on this already the links are below think this was bound to happen at some point inside job?

ATS link 1

ATS link 2

BBC news

[edit on 22/11/2007 by SE7EN]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
cnn is saying that the AP said one of her security advisors has stated she was shot by someone as she was getting into her car and then he blew himself up.

edit*
shot in the neck and chest according to cnn

[edit on 27-12-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
FNC reports she was shot in the neck , this is terrible news but not unexpected. Bhutto was a target since she returned to the country.

Who was behind the assasination? Musharraf's people? Taliban?

My guess is that it will be blamed on terrorism.. but will that be the truth?

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
This is horrible. The worst part is, its not over. Democracy is dead in Pakistan and it may not be far off from a Fundametalist Hell that is in Iraq and was in Afghanistan.

Let's be honest here for a moment. From all appearances, Bhutto was as corrupt as anyone else (under indictment for fraud in Switzerland, I believe) and as undedicated to democracy as Musharref (she too suspended the constitution while Prime Minister). However, she was the leading "reform" candidate, and this will definitely stir up tensions.

But we have to ask among who? Bhutto certainly was not the candidate of choice among the Islamists, but they might take advantage of the chaos.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Sky news is reporting she was shot in the neck and chest when getting into her car
This really is a shame, i really think the world is going to hell

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

It was an organized assassination.

It should be obvious who did it.

Her return has interfered with Musharefs rule, and the hopes from America that Pakistan will remain in Musharefs control.. I am surprised it took him this long to assassinate his only real political rival .. not good for Pakistanis .. not at all.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

I'm guessing people there wont be happy till there are Forests of Mushroom Clouds and Fields of nice Green Glass covering the country. If this continues in the direction its heading, India will be the first to contribute to the nation wide make over.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

ahhh yes,if al qaeda wanted to stir up trouble they would commit an act that would frame/point to musharaff!,but then musharaff could have commited the act and make it look like it was al qaeda framing him.....
......aghhh i fear wel never know!

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Who was behind the assasination? Musharraf's people? Taliban?

My guess is that it will be blamed on terrorism.. but will that be the truth?

Could be anyone. Both the Islamists and Musharraf have an interest in seeing her gone. My money is on the Islamists. Musharraf is a smart man; he knows what killing Bhutto would only serve to ultimately hurt him and that no matter who killed her, he would be blamed. His interest was actually in protecting her, as twisted as that sounds.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

That is true but I am thinking on how the official story will come out.

The one's who organized this have an afteraction plan, will the finger be pointed towards terrorism? Seems an easy fit...

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I have said all along that it was not Iraq or Iran that was our biggest threat or problem in the region, far from it, it was unstable and nuclear Pakistan with its strong intelligence and military ties to the Taliban and Al Qaeda that we should be most worried about. After all Pakistan was the Taliban (and subsequently Al Qaeda's) biggest backer prior to 9/11.

With this we move one step closer to an unstable, nuclear country with known ties to extremists sinking into civil war and there is piss poor little we can do about it.

Way to go W.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
and the hopes from America that Pakistan will remain in Musharefs control...

America's interest is in a stable Pakistan, with or without Musharraf. If Musharraf starts to falter and someone else can provide strong, capable leadership that keep Pakistan stable (and out of Islamist hands) the US will drop Musharraf in a heart-beat and support a rival.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I bet it was CIA.

Just kiddin'

Another politican dies, I guess that's what the politics does to you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join