It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Signature Image and URL Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I normally use an image in my signature and link it back to various URL's for people to click on...

I tried tonight to change it and used the [ img] and [ url] bb code like I always do but it will not accept the URL..

It displays the image just fine, but when clicked on it simply goes to a "preview" of the image instead of the URL location...

Did something change I am not aware of?

I have been so busy lately I could have missed something..

Thanks in advance...

Semper

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
edit: My bad, I see your problem.

Neither [ats], [img] or [im] tags work. The best I can guess is that hotlinking via images has been disabled.
And now that I think about it, I noticed an error like this about 1 week ago, where a hotlink I set up years ago suddenly wasn't working.

[edit on 27/12/2007 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocksThe best I can guess is that hotlinking via images has been disabled.

I haven't read anything official, but I would guess the same. I used to have a banner linking to my blog in the past but one day it stopped working.

In my experience not many people click links in signatures anyway, so I guess in the end it doesn't' mater.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I don't think it doesn't matter. I can post a hot-linked thumbnail of a picture leading to a full sized version hosted on imageshack or whatnot, which saves the ATS servers a lot of trouble.
Example:

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I always just thought it was a good way to advertise special events that were happening around the board...

Oh well, I guess if I never had it, I would not miss it anyway...

At least we can still put up nice pics there..

Semper

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Yeah I used to plug ATS/BTS stuff in my sig space all the time. The only gauge of effectiveness I had to go by was thread viewcount. Once I started linking to my own website where I could see where the traffic was coming from, I could see that the sig clicks were negligible.

I don't mean to discourage using your sig space in this way, just sharing my observations.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Still it's nice to know.. Thanks..

Knowledge is power after all..

I should have figured that people are inherently lazy and wont click on stuff, imagining they even figure out they can..

Semper

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I came across this today too, I had just put a banner in my sig but can't link it.
well lest I'm not alone

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Just trying/testing here... bear with me.

[edit on 28-12-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

Guess not...

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
You've gotta get it to work like my example.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Umbrax

I know this is relevant to pretty much nothing, but I just wanted to throw in that I enjoyed having banners that linked to stuff.

Admittedly, I am a hideously addicted link chaser and I love clicking when people post links and so I have an almost overwhelming compulsion to click. This being the case, I have found some wonderful stuff here within the Above Network forums that I likely would never have found on my own, so as small as the numbers might be, I was one of those few who really enjoyed clicking the banners to go and see new things.

Not that I don't like the text links, too, but the banners usually catch my notice and interest faster and easier due to the easier visibility.

So, I know that click throughs are generally small when it comes to sig links, I just wanted to mention that I enjoy them and am likely one of those click throughs that you had.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I just gave up on the image for the time being and used the color and size function in conjunction with the "linking url" function and everything works that way...

I guess it is just the new image protocols....

Shame though I made so many signatures... *sigh*
Semper's Signatures

But I actually used to worry about the fancy signatures using bandwidth ....
ATS let's us post our wonderful avatars at a size unequaled on other boards and also have signatures, I was wondering how the pictures impacted the server use...

(I may not have worded that correctly as I have no idea how that tech stuff works, but you get the idea..LOL)

Semper

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Well... you could always just

-->click here

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Well... you could always just

*click here*

[edit on 29-12-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Never thought of that....

Thanks!!!!

That is a great idea...

Semper

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
how the hell do you get a pic on you profile? i can update my info but everything else i cant do. can you give us a hand?

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
If you are talking about an Avatar... Here are the best directions...

Kinglizard Avatar Instructions

Semper

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
thank you very much

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I don't see the problem. Forget the img and im tags. Make sure that you host the image (on i.e. uploadit.org, imageshack, photobucket, etc) and use ats tags instead. Like I've done in my signature.

Edit to add example:

Edit 2:
DOH!! It doesn't work! It works in my sig though. At least for now.

[edit on 2007/12/30 by Hellmutt]

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I tried everything I can think of with the BB code and then just gave in and took 12m8ke's advice and just included a little "Click Here" line of text...

Of course with all the help I am getting, the Team Debate Series is getting all kinds of promotion... LOL

Semper

top topics

join