It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else having Windows Defender problem after update?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
My wife's laptop runs Vista and after the latest defender update an error code comes up and defender doesn't load. Her machine is running Vista Home Premium.

error code : 0x80070002
the update was : KB915597 definition 1.24.4886.0

I just wondered if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Also is there a way to unistall defender on vista? I am not familiar with this OS, I still use XP on my machine.

Thanks for any input

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I don't have it, but I think don't think the error code is specific to Defender. It just means the download partially failed, or some of it was corrupted.

Here is more info and Micro's supposed fix.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Thanks, I did that over the weekend, but it did not solve the error, my wife asked the IT guys at her office and they were having the same problem on the Vista machines they had there.

It is a nuisance, but does not render the computer inoperable, the Defender program isn't able to load on start up or trying a manual start.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I was afraid of that. Thats why I put the word supposed in that post. :bnghd:

As I understand it, Defender cannot easily be uninstalled since its integrated into Vista, but it can be disabled, and or removed from startup.

Just be aware that you are disabling the built-in anti-spyware, and it should be replace with another. Also, as I understand it, the above does not stop it from downloading new defender updates, (just so your aware).

I've read that you can go start - run - and paste:
msiexec /uninstall windowsdefender.msi /quiet /log uninstall.log

Thats just like running the uninstaller, which apparently doesn't fully uninstall it from what I've read. You would then still have to stop the service as described in the remove from startup link.

Best of luck

[edit on 12/26/07 by makeitso]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I disabled Defender on both of my Vista Machines and installed Spybot...

I got tired of the little balloons telling me I had altered my start-up.. DUH... I know I did, I always do....

Anyway

Spybot seems to be doing the job just fine and no hassles at all....

Semper

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Semper,

Here is a list of programs and links you want on your laptop, all free, all legal:
Free Anti-virus:
AVGAVG

Free FireWall:
ZoneAlarm:ZoneAlarm

Cookie and Temp file remover:
Ccleanerccleaner

AVG AntiSpy:
free.grisoft.com...

Adawear2007:
www.softpedia.com...

BTW, you can remove the corrupped program through add/remove programs in control pannel-just look for windows defender and remove.

Now, as always, you will be required to reboot your computer-remember, your sole purpose in life is to reboot windows.

you can now download defender again-just google"download windows defender for vista)

Also, updates to defender come in the monthly-every second tuesday- in os updates.

Semper, if you need some instruction on installing and configuring these programs, i can send you a text document on how to do in a u2u-just u2u me for it.

Hope this helps some.

[edit on 12/27/2007 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
You will be proud to know that I am actually running most of those except the AVG antispy and Adaware...

I have the AVG Anti-virus running though and Spy-Bot.... I have Defender disabled...

Is that going to be OK? Or should I go with the AVG Anti-Spy and AdAware?

Semper

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Semp, there is a trueism that goes like this:

No one program or even two will get everything, there for you need several to get everything.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I was afraid of that...

Downloading the others now...

Better safe than sorry...

Thanks my friend...

Semper

top topics

join