It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Definition & Blue Ray Technologies are a scam. Don't be fooled.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by indierockalien
I really don't notice what the big deal is with HD. I watch HD tv at my sister's while babysitting, and honestly, it looks crappier to me. Trust me, they've got the works.

They might have the works but apparently they don't know how to use it or have it hooked up incorrectly because you would not have made that statement if you would have actually seen a HD picture.

An HD picture is stunningly beautiful when you have the right equipment and are using it properly. Honestly, my 1080P 50" plasma with either the HD satellite or the HD-DVD as the source gives you a jaw dropping beautiful picture.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Maybe their set is HD but they’re only receiving plain ol’ cable on it.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Is it okay for this guy to blast us with misinformation, lies and assumptions that aren't backed up? Infact they've been debunked already, could the mods please close this thread?

there weren't lies or misinformation. But I think that you guys wanted more of techie talk than not. So, if the mods want to close this, i'm fine with it. I was just trying to tell people that films that are filmed in HD should be sold in HD..not older films. I just hope not to see Marlon Brando's BURN in HD..with color and everything patched up digitally..that would be the end of things as we know it. take care and Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by HighDefinitionFilms
Merry Christmas, Jedi.

If you give me your address, I will mail you an Xmas gift...

A Blu-Ray DVD!

lol. ok sure, send it to Miller Zavs, P.O box 120563, Chula Vista Ca 91912.
And merry xmas to you.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Rather than arguing about formats, shouldn't you be asking yourselves how it could be that Grandad and Grandma led quite happy fulfilled lives with a 12 inch black and white tv with 3 stations, rather than these 50 inch monstrosities which look more like the observation window of an intergalactic space cruiser ?

I think tv's reached their limit in the mid to late 70's, with lovely wooden cabinets which looked like a piece of furniture, as if someone had put a bit of thought into their design, they sat easy in your living room ... and the electrical aroma of the valves at the back as they heated up ... money just can't buy that. Oh, I'm getting all nostalgic cos it's Christmas Day

All you're getting nowadays is MSM propaganda in even better resolution than before. The real question should be whether you need a television at all. Try it once a week. Have a switch off day. You'll be ever so ... relaxed.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Well said Niall.

Myself, I avoid most of the propaganda. There are only two or three things I watch on TV, and one of them is the good ol’ hockey game.

And most of the movies I watch are foreign.

Jedi, get over yourself. You’re totally wrong, and on more than one point.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by MurderSmurf

Jedi, get over yourself. You’re totally wrong, and on more than one point.

I will, and I admit i'm wrong on the technical aspect of the discussion. but artistically and fundamentally..I believe i'm in the right.

Merry X-mas!

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
I will, and I admit i'm wrong on the technical aspect of the discussion. but artistically and fundamentally..I believe i'm in the right.

Merry X-mas!

Art is subjective, remember? There’s no right and wrong. I’ll agree that artistically *you make a good point*.

My opinion on HD’s effect on film as an art is that it can be detrimental, but it’d be just one item on a long list of such detriments.

Merry Christmas to you too.

[edit on 25-12-2007 by MurderSmurf]

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
1080p is better. Basically it's showing all lines 60htz/fps...
whereas 1080i is showing half the lines for 30 htz and the other half at 30htz....

and yes blue ray is called that due to the blue laser involved. pretty much blue ray is a better technology as it can store more data due to it's blue laser which is oh so small compared to HD-DVD which has a little bit bigger laser colour spectrum thus not being able to store as much data.

Though HD-DVD is cheaper atm. Blue ray is more expensive... but not tooo much expensive...

if you want to choose between the two i'd stick with blue ray. Just buy a SOny PS3 cheap one and it comes with it, plus you can play games, intal linux yellow and use it as a computer, etc...

But if ur not sure which is going to win, then just buy a hddvd/blue ray player that plays both. Other wise stick with blue ray.

But i guess the storage size of the ormat doesn't matter tooo much as they are both getting higher layers which lets them store something like 200 gig plus.

but then again, they will both be out performed in the storage sense of things when holographic storage technology comes out in the next few years, though blue ray and hd-dvd will still be at it in the format war...

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

All that being said, yes HD and Blu-Ray are scams, but so was DVD. The truth is, any type of tangible media that forces you to play it in specific hardware is a scam.

Yes, but DVD was not trying to sell itself as this magical format. The problem I have is in being true to the consumer..telling people out there that movies like bladerunner are in HD when it's not 100% true. I'd rather watch the original version of blade runner on DVD, without the special effects added and all the cleanups.

dude, what the heck are you talking about? Original version on DVD? You can't be serious. DVD is a HIGHLY compressed format. I'm retiring from this thread, and I am dangerously close to just putting you on ignore. I'm not sure I've ever seen a single post from you that wasn't complete fiction. It's amazing.. no matter what the topic is, you manage to mix it all up with misinformation and ridiculous examples. It's mind boggling.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Hopefully the studios will get smart and start offering HD downloads soon, before they waste billions in legal fees trying to stop the inevitable yet again.

NO! heck NO! I'd rather watch a beta tape than watch a movie on an Ipod, Mp3 player or on a computer using digital storage. there is no way a movie will ever look good using a microchip memory type device.

another classic response. You do realize that a DVD is digital storage, right? The only difference is that a DVD is made of plastic, can be scratched lost or stolen. what do you normally watch movies on? an analog projector?

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

I know, its stunning how someone is so obviously wrong yet arrogantly think they are totally right.

He probably thinks there is no difference of sound quality for 60s music on a cd or tape.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   

what do you normally watch movies on?

on a VCR. it's cheaper & convinient. I still don't own a plasma or LCD television. So it makes no difference to me now. I still watch movies on a regular tube-type television.

so you won't find me spending 3000 or so anytime soon on this new HD stuff. I am happy watching star wars on VHS..for the meantime.

Merry Xmas scientist.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   
hah, I can't believe this is all coming from someone who watches VHS still?

I beg to differ the cheaper & convenient angle. I haven't spend a dime on movies in the past 5 years at least, nor do I have a pile of tapes or discs. I just have like 500+ movies on an external hard drive. I dare you to try and carry 500 VHS tapes in one hand
plus, rewinding is MUCH easier!

oh jesus... btw, speaking of jesus, merry x-mas yourself
enjoy the day!

[edit on 25-12-2007 by scientist]

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

Let me guess, you think theres no difference between a VCR and a PVR or DVD burner?

I still use a VCR only because I refuse to pay to watch HDTV and refuse to pay to use a PVR, however I will convert next summer when free HDTV arrives from the BBC.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
reply to post by jedimiller

Let me guess, you think theres no difference between a VCR and a PVR or DVD burner?

I still use a VCR only because I refuse to pay to watch HDTV and refuse to pay to use a PVR, however I will convert next summer when free HDTV arrives from the BBC.

Most decent tv tuners for the computer come with pvr type software and its free. I can schedule programs to record on a hd, then use this free program to put it into a compressed format for my phone. I can fit 1 hour shows in one clip, its great. I would never consider those tivo where you pay. I think they were even trying to trying install restrictions on tv tuner software but they haven't so far.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Freezer

We cant get Tivos over here, wed Id have to pay for satellite I dont want, pay again to be allowed to use their PVR and pay again for the HD channel.

Luckily this summer I can get everything I need for free after I pay for the hardware.

Its a matter of principle not to pay for something 3 times just to be able to record HD.

Another reason I havent made the jump is the HD war and the DRM, I dont ever see myself buying one of those until the DRM is cracked and they are cheaper.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Another reason I havent made the jump is the HD war and the DRM, I dont ever see myself buying one of those until the DRM is cracked and they are cheaper.

ah, but the DRM has been cracked! In fact, I've been downloading most of my movies in 720p lately

In fact, both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray were cracked almost a year ago. (jan 2006)

gizmodo.com...
www.engadget.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I still use a VCR only because I refuse to pay to watch HDTV

Umm....that is not a good reason and frankly, it makes no sense. You don't have to pay for HDTV. HDTV can be picked up for free over-the-air just like your regular stardard TV.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
if you want to choose between the two i'd stick with blue ray.

I would have to disagree with you on this point.
I would buy HD-DVD over Blueray. HD-DVD IMO has slightly better picture quality and is a lot cheaper than blueray. The only advantage blueray has is the storage capacity as it can hold more info but this is irrelevant in regards to picture quality.

Just like when Sony was pushing the Betamax over VHS, they are now pushing blueray over HD-DVD. I believe blueray will also go the way of the Betamax.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join