It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "One-Upper"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I know one of these people as well. He just makes me wanna bang my head against the wall.:bnghd: I know some people strive to be the best they can, but they sure do annoy others in the process.

I found this video on youtube, thought it was quite fitting for this thread.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Damn don't you just hate that. :bnghd: You spend 10mins or so typing and then press reply and the page doesn't refresh.

Oh well - You mean to tell me that you people have never been a "one upper" at somepoint in your life. I find that very hard to believe, lol Everyone gloats or brags or even prattles on just for the sake of it, but yes some people do take it to the extreme and can be very annoying.
It's called insecurity and we all suffer from it.

[edit on 24-12-2007 by kindred]

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kindred

Only if I'm purposely trying to piss the other person off, for one reason or the other (yeah, I'm no angel
)

Never once (that I can recall) by accident. Unless the other side perceives some of my attempts to connect by sharing an anecdote as an attempt to 'one-up' them.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
haha. I know this kind of person VERY well. Everything I modestly do, he has to do something better! However, this guy is VERY flawed in his thoughts because most of them are obvious lies.

Another guy always likes to put things I do or own down so he can be "better".

I put it down to low self-esteem. Losers.

I'm never a loser.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I agree that people like that are extremely annoying. What they don't realize is that they are losing, not making points with their audience by doing this.

I particularly hate it when the person starts with, "I can top that. . . "

Social conversation is supposed to be cooperative, not competitive.

It reminds me of a time when I was working. I would occasionally take the ten minute breaks with two older women if I happened to be in the shop. Their leadman would walk over and always told stories of his exploits one-upping everyone. I noticed that they asked him questions about timing. One day I said, "How can you stand listening to him." They laughed and said, "Oh, we're keeping a record. So far, he's four hundred and eighty-three years old."

BTW, another phrase I hate is "What can I do you for?"

Occam

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Originally posted by Occam

I particularly hate it when the person starts with, "I can top that. . . "

Around our shop, it's "That ain't s***....I
remember when....".

And yes, most of us aren't impressed.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by kindred

I think most people do it every once in awhile. However I think there are people who seem to do it all the time and they are the ones who can officially be deemed a one-upper.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I just read through this thread and find it hysterically funny to see how people have "one upped" each other with their "one upper," stories. It must come naturally to people, I guess.

It reminded me of the baby shower I was at 2 weeks ago. If you want to go to a "one upper" fest, a baby shower is the perfect place.

After everyone tells of their pregnancy, labor and delivery stories, you will know what I mean. The last person to speak usually comes up just short of saying they had a pregnancy that lasted 11 months, with a 3 week labor, and gave birth to a 30 pound child!

Take note next time you are at a shower. The stories are incredible!

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Agh, I've searched everywhere and can not find a clip of these SNL shorts. If anyone has seen them, they are the one's with Kristen Wiig. I can only think of two off the top of my head. Once when Peyton Manning hosted, and once when Lebron James hosted.

We almost never watch SNL anymore but saw this one (guess why) and that skit with the one-up chick was an absolute riot. My wife and I still refer to it all the time.

I can tell you a guaranteed way to handle this, but it takes a special kind of >jerk< person to do it. I do it frequently, as needed.

When someone starts that (works best in a group setting) say, "Oh, please elaborate. I can't tell you how fascinated we all are. Do go on. I'm mesmerized by your eloquence." You get the idea - use whatever overly effusive language you're comfortable with. Then rest your chin on your hands and stare at the offending party. It'll get uncomfortable, but no matter what, remain silent.

Works every time. And no, I don't have a lot of friends. But quantity's for suckers. I'm all about the quality.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan
I just read through this thread and find it hysterically funny to see how people have "one upped" each other with their "one upper," stories.

I thought I was the only one to notice that. That's why I didn't post any of my own anecdotes

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

How do I counter act the one upper in other words drive them nuts, because I am sick of the one upping?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Those are great stories everyone has - stars all around
. My husband's boss is like that. A classic one upper, plus, he doesn't get the cues that no one is interested in his boring goddamn stories!!!! No one gives a crap that you have every movie ever made on VHS. THAT IS THE OPPOSITE OF COOL. NO ONE CARES!!! YOU ARE A LOSER!!!

That was a nice rant. I could use a cig after that one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join