It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "One-Upper"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
We all know who they are, and I'm sure we all know one or two ourselves. If you don't, then you might want to think twice if it is you or not. Why must people do this? Constantly one upping anyone they come into contact with?

Whether it is co-workers, friends, family.. whatever, is it really necessary? Do you actually think that people believe you?

If someone tells you a story, and you respond with.. "Oh yeah, well...", you are a One-Upper!

Not everyone is as discrete as some, but it takes very little effort to uncover one of these.

Hear my cries, share your pain.. but do not one up me!

Agh, I've searched everywhere and can not find a clip of these SNL shorts. If anyone has seen them, they are the one's with Kristen Wiig. I can only think of two off the top of my head. Once when Peyton Manning hosted, and once when Lebron James hosted.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Yeah, I know alot of 'one-uppers'. They are the same people who actually don't even listen to what you say, they just wait for their turn to talk. I hate those people so very much.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

The term originated as the title of a book by Stephen Potter, a follow-up to the Gamesmanship and Lifemanship titles in his series of tongue-in-cheek self-help books, and film and television derivatives, that teach various "ploys" to achieve this.

From Here

Enjoy,
Lex

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Hey you think One-Uppers are bad? Well, lemme tell ya something...

J.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Yeah, well I have a SLEW
of two-uppers that will blow
your mind !

Upping,
Lex

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I dont know why, but it seems everyone I hang out with is a one upper, or maybe everyone is, but sometimes they do it about the stupidest of things, take this for example, happened a few weeks ago when I was hanging out with my freind.

Well we are both DJ's, and we were just practising some different mixes, which kept us up until liike 5 am one night, and we did have to get up at 7, so 2 hours of sleep, and the next day we are totally just so tired, and people ask us why we look like zombies, and we say we got 2 hours of sleep, well turns out they got 1 hour, or half an hour, or no sleep, but some how still managed to function like they do everyday.

Yeah, thats the stupidest one upping story I have.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
yeah i've known several of these kinds of ppl throughout my life. they're extremely nerve racking.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LordInfamous

Dude I've told you like a million times don't exaggerate, and I know about a thousand people like it and I haven't slept for like 3 weeks and so I should be dead and yeah but no but.

Oh whatever!

Monkey

The trick is to answer with something so completely ridiculous that they "get" that you are extracting the urine. We can modify your behavior!

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

This couldn't have come at a better time. I just got a new job and there's this guy who was also given the job... The guy is a complete one upping asshole. Everything ANYBODY has done EVER, he's done better.

I can't stand people like that. Some insanely twisted approach to acceptance, and in other times it seems to be a sort of passive aggressive dominance issue. Either way, both stupid, and both deserve some kind of verbal reality check.

Soon enough... Soon enough.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

Just slap the guy. Don't underestimate the power of a slap. It doesn't even have to be hard, the effect is the same -- extreme embarrassment. Mark my words, the fella won't be like that any more, to anyone.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Haha, but I love my job. I'll sit him down for some one on one, crazy eyed serious talk soon enough. If I acted like I used to, it probably wouldn't be a slap and I would probably have to give more money to the respective courts, but I have better insight about why people act the way they do. The dude is insecure and slapping him is the wrong way of going about it.

Whoa... Did I just say that. Growing up sucks.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

If your little heart-to-heart with him doesn't work, trust me, slapping will do it. I haven't done it myself, but I've witnessed it's effectiveness in action.

I went with the 'mature talk' route. It failed.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Good thing I'm a grip more cool than this little Mormon boy wishes he was. I'm sure the talk will do just fine, if not, I'll just get on his girlfriend.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
I'm sure the talk will do just fine, if not, I'll just get on his girlfriend.

The ultimate one-up!

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

um..W.T.F.?

guy if that was some kind of a joke..it went WAY the
over my head..

[edit on 23-12-2007 by LordInfamous]

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I got one better than that, How about the prick that won't even laugh at your joke? As soon as your done if he waits that long, he flys into his own joke and expects you to bust out laughing. Yeah I know the type.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Voyager1

The most annoying thing to me is, more than that or the one-upper, the guy who tries to simply downplay your acheivements or misfortunes by getting down to the technicalities. For example:

"You had a cavity? Oh, that's not so bad. I mean, it was only in the enamall, not like it was a root canal or anything!"

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
The negative one-uppers are the worse. You know, the type that if something bad happened to you, something worse happened to them.
You mention that you have the sniffles and they have menengitis.

Uggh!

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by LordInfamous

Well isn't that ironic!

Either that or you're a dwarf.

MonKey

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
What a perfect thread! Yes, I've definitely come across these people from time to time. The worst, to me, is the "I have a friend" one-upper. No matter what you say, no matter how bad or good, they have a friend who has one-upped you!

"Hey man, I got an xbox360 for Christmas!"

"Oh yeah? Well I have this friend who has every gaming system that was ever made! He collects them and sells them on ebay!"

"Just got back from the gym. I finally benched 300!"

"Oh, well I have this friend who weighs 150 pounds and does 50 reps with 315 every time he goes in!" (Yes, this one was a real example, and for anyone who weight lifts, you know as well as I do that it's nearly impossible.)

"Oh man, I think I have the stomach flu."

"Oh, remember that friend I told you about? The one that can lift all that weight and has all those gaming systems? Well the doctors told him he was dying of the stomach flu while he was benching 315 AND playing all 3 of his gaming systems!"

You get the idea...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join