It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul Lashes Out At Huckabee Ad - Infers Fascism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Thanks for the link, clears that up good and proper!

Ron Paul is like a breath of fresh air in this polluted world of politics, obviously as a Brit I don't like the fact that he is pro-gun but as the right to bear arms has been in the American constitution since the second amendment one can understand this. He's a true defender of the very fabric of the American nation

Ok, saying that though I believe he could have chosen a better way to carry across his ideals than to bring up the fascism quotation which in that little byte size segment leaded to a little confusion, but to be fair he was put on the spot on something he had not seen.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by freeradical

To be "fair"? His gut reaction to the mention of a cross is to think of Fascism? And you folks think this is perfectly normal?

I'm not buying it. To try to justify his words as "the first thing that popped into his mind" doesn't cut it with an educated individual, physician, and politician. I might expect that reaction from a youngster, or uncouth ignoramus, but not from someone of RP's supposed caliber.

It was an intentional snipe at Gov. Huckabee.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

He is not fearful of religion or crosses, he is fearful of the integration of church and state, much like the founders of this country. He is a Christian and believes in freedom of religion to the people as much as freedom of anything else. He referred to fascism based on what he was told because if you look at history, fascist governments love to integrate religion into their politics.

It was an intentional swipe at fascism.

Wiki: en.wikipedia.org...

Fascism is an authoritarian political ideology (generally tied to a mass movement) that considers individual and social interests subordinate to the interests of the state or party. Fascists seek to forge a type of national unity, usually based on (but not limited to) ethnic, cultural, racial, and religious attributes. Various scholars attribute different characteristics to fascism, but the following elements are usually seen as its integral parts: nationalism, statism, militarism, totalitarianism, anti-communism, corporatism, populism, collectivism, and opposition to political and economic liberalism.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by captainplanet

Originally posted by captainplanet

He is not fearful of religion or crosses, he is fearful of the integration of church and state, much like the founders of this country. He is a Christian and believes in freedom of religion to the people as much as freedom of anything else. He referred to fascism based on what he was told because if you look at history, fascist governments love to integrate religion into their politics.

It was an intentional swipe at fascism.

Wiki: en.wikipedia.org...

Fascism is an authoritarian political ideology (generally tied to a mass movement) that considers individual and social interests subordinate to the interests of the state or party. Fascists seek to forge a type of national unity, usually based on (but not limited to) ethnic, cultural, racial, and religious attributes. Various scholars attribute different characteristics to fascism, but the following elements are usually seen as its integral parts: nationalism, statism, militarism, totalitarianism, anti-communism, corporatism, populism, collectivism, and opposition to political and economic liberalism.

It was an intentional swipe at Mike Huckabee. The very first mention of fascism came from Ron Paul, not Mike Huckabee. MH was wishing America a Merry Christmas, not touting his political reord.

Ron Paul has a screw loose somewhere if that was his sincere reaction. A much more appropriate response would have been "Well, Steve, I haven't seen the ad, so it would be inappropriate for me to respond to it."

Instead, he quoted Sinclair Lewis. Weird.:shk: And pointing out RP's voting record, religious orientation,, or supplying us with a definition of Fascism does nothing to change that.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

He was responding to the topic of religion in politics, he said, "this whole thing reminds me of..." fascism. He made no mention of Mike Huckabee. The media was looking for him to take a shot at Huckabee, instead he avoided it and took a shot at focusing on religion in a political race. He was not directly speaking of Mike Huckabee, but a general scenario. Was it maybe confusing to an argumentative mind? Yes. He didn't want to just say, "I don't know", maybe he should have, instead he tried to offer insight into a broader situation.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by captainplanet

Originally posted by captainplanet
He was not directly speaking of Mike Huckabee, but a general scenario. Was it maybe confusing to an argumentative mind? Yes.

Hey! Are you saying that *I* have an argumentative mind?

What have you heard?

Just kidding...

He should have responded differently, imo. This was a case of an individual expressing well wishes to the audience. Maybe there was a little religion mixed in. So what? It doesn't mean that Huckabee intends to govern from the Bible. It's just one guy saying Merry Christmas, is all.

Personally, I'd be a bit wary of a person who was totally anti-religious.

Just my .02

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join