It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul Lashes Out At Huckabee Ad - Infers Fascism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This morning on Fox and Friends, Ron Paul was asked for his impression of the Mike Huckabee ad running in Iowa, in which a window pane behind Huckabee resembles a Christian cross. Paul responded by quoting Sinclair Lewis, saying "When Fascism comes to this country, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross".

Kinda harsh, no? Is Paul implying that Huckabee is a fascist?

www.youtube.com...
www.newsandpolicy.com...

[edit on 18-12-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
TO Ron Paul, everyone but Ron Paul is a Fascist. And if you give him a few thousand dollars, he'll probably call himself one, too.

However, he's actually correct in this case. Using religion as a political tool is a step in that direction. And in my opinion, cleapens both religion and the political system, to boot.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I'd be much more wary of somebody who looks at an innocent, well-wishing ad and screams "Fascism!" than I would be of the person who dares to wish us a Merry Christmas.

An overreaction like that reveals a lot about a person's (lack of) character.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
For those interested in the "offensive" Huckabee ad, here it is:

election.newsmax.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

So what do you think about the character of those who play Christianity for cheap political points? 'Cause really, that's what Huckleberry is doing here.

Now, I wouldn't call Huckabee any more of a fascist than any of the other Republican candidates - take that as you will - but Paul's right, this is just a stunt on hte guy's part to plant the flag to claim Baby Jesus as his own.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I think the ad was tastefully done and I watched it before on youtube but didnt actually notice the cross until I saw the media make a ruckus about it. If its a christmas message what better symbol to be present within it? Is he supposed to come out with some voyeur cam from his basement ?

Perhaps if he had held up a Koran and an Ak-47 with a balaclava on people who not pay attention to the furniture in the background and look at the person talking.

This is silly crap that media is digging up. He doesnt say "Vote for me, I'm christian!" . He says "Merry Christmas".

Ron Paul is a crazy bat! Apparently, anybody who doesnt worship him is either a "neo-con" or a Fascist or a liberal. He wants to go back living like 1776, let him go and good riddance , I sure as hell dont want to!

[edit on 18-12-2007 by IAF101]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I seen the Ron Paul interview and I wouldn't call it lashing out that's a bit over exaggerated, now asking him to answer questions with a one word answer was ridiculous and unprofessional. I think they tried to make him look like a fool but it backfired and it made them look foolish. fox news always seems to have an agenda against the people they disagree with.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by UScitizen

Huh? He was merely asked what he thought of the ad. Imo, Paul is the person that overreacted. He could have handled it much lower-key.

Perhps he is afraid of religion?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by The Walking Fox

Originally posted by The Walking Fox

So what do you think about the character of those who play Christianity for cheap political points? 'Cause really, that's what Huckleberry is doing here.

Sez you. RP shows his insecurity and defensiveness with his answer. Of all the responses to the question posed to him, he managed to use the one that made him come out looking like a cornered skunk.

Now, I wouldn't call Huckabee any more of a fascist than any of the other Republican candidates - take that as you will - but Paul's right, this is just a stunt on hte guy's part to plant the flag to claim Baby Jesus as his own.

Riiiiight.
:shk:

[edit on 19-12-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Sez you. RP shows his insecurity and defensiveness with his answer. Of all the responses to the question posed to him, he managed to use the one that made him come out looking like a cornered skunk.

So did you ask your question in the first post - "kind of harsh, no?" - as an actual question asking for response, or as a statement of fact with the incorrect punctuation?

Of course, the more Republicans gnaw at each other, the happier a Yule I'll be having. Especially if it makes that nutbar Ron Paul smell like yesterday's fish.

Riiiiight.
:shk:
[edit on 19-12-2007 by jsobecky]

Welcome to the big wide world of politics, honey. It's all dishonesty and cynicism with these guys. What Huckabee is saying is "I'm the only candidate with an ad wishing you a happy Jesus-day. Anyone else who does so is just mooching off my initiative to court your vote on religion"

Know how you can tell? Rather than just a commercial wishing for people to have a merry Christmas (Which is, as we all know, the absolute one and only holiday anyone ever celebrates in America, period) this is a political ad, displaying his campaign website, paid for by "Huckabee for President, Inc." In other words, he is using campaign funds for this commercial. It's thus an admitted part of his campaign strategy.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   

reply to post by UScitizen

Huh? He was merely asked what he thought of the ad. Imo, Paul is the person that overreacted. He could have handled it much lower-key.

Perhps he is afraid of religion?

To me, it seemed like Ron Paul was asked what he thought of using religion for political purposes (having the cross in the background). He used a quote referencing the use of religion for political purposes (fascism), but then said "I don't know if thats a fair assessment or not", showing that it was not necessarily his opinion. I don't consider it overreacting, and I don't think Ron Paul was calling Huckabee a fascist.

The one word answer comment posted earlier by somebody was referring to a later part of the interview. Ron Paul was asked what he thought of certain issues and he was told to give one word answers.

[edit on 19-12-2007 by AlienS]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I don't find Paul's response disturbing in the least bit. Religion is not a tool to be used by those seeking the office of the President. Huckabee's ad and the placement of the "cross" was obviously thought out beforehand. What I DO find disturbing was Huckabee's response to the ad flap when he supposedly jokingly said "yeah, and if you play it backwards it says Paul is dead, Paul is dead, Paul is dead...

Now is he refering to the backwards Beatles album (not all of you will know what I'm talking about) or was he refering to Ron Paul?

Freudian slip anyone?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I saw the ad in question. There were some white bookshelves in the background which MIGHT be taken for a cross. Subliminal advertising? They looked like bookshelves to me. There was also a very visible Christmas tree, which nobody takes exception to. I'm not a Huckabee supporter, but it seems to me this is a tempest in a teapot. Like Ron Paul, I believe in the separation of church and state, but this is an overreaction.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by The Walking Fox

So did you ask your question in the first post - "kind of harsh, no?" - as an actual question asking for response, or as a statement of fact with the incorrect punctuation?

I think the final word in that statement makes your question unnecessary.

Welcome to the big wide world of politics, honey.

"Honey"? Others may think of you as a fox, but I'm not interested. Some of my lady friends have a jealous streak.

It's all dishonesty and cynicism with these guys. What Huckabee is saying is "I'm the only candidate with an ad wishing you a happy Jesus-day. Anyone else who does so is just mooching off my initiative to court your vote on religion"

My God, you are paranoid. Even if what you say is true, SO WHAT? Did he break any laws? Or are you just jealous that you candidate didn't think of the ad first?

Between now and New Years, you'll hear every candidate wishing the public a happy holiday in one sense or another. And you won't hear Huckabee crying foul when they do, either.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectRon41

Originally posted by ElectRon41
I don't find Paul's response disturbing in the least bit. Religion is not a tool to be used by those seeking the office of the President.

Sure it is, if you break no laws and the public lets you get away with it.

Originally posted by ElectRon41
Huckabee's ad and the placement of the "cross" was obviously thought out beforehand. What I DO find disturbing was Huckabee's response to the ad flap when he supposedly jokingly said "yeah, and if you play it backwards it says Paul is dead, Paul is dead, Paul is dead...

Now is he refering to the backwards Beatles album (not all of you will know what I'm talking about) or was he refering to Ron Paul?

Freudian slip anyone?

Good pickup! I hadn't heard about that.
But I doubt he was referring to RP, because a) he's not that clever and b) That would be a real bad political move.

Then again, he doesn't see like an ex-hippy to me, either. So I'm guessing the response was scripted by one of his staff.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I'm surprised that Huckabee didn't mention his Holiday Tax in his ad. It would have been a great time to start pushing it ... along with a carbon tax, oxygen tax and life tax (to go along with the death tax). But, don't worry, these won't be including the "Fair Tax". This will be one in itself.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I think the final word in that statement makes your question unnecessary.

One never knows. And it seems to me as though the only response you want is agreement with your position.

"Honey"? Others may think of you as a fox, but I'm not interested. Some of my lady friends have a jealous streak.

Well, it actually has nothing to do with the common usage of the word "fox"...

My God, you are paranoid. Even if what you say is true, SO WHAT? Did he break any laws? Or are you just jealous that you candidate didn't think of the ad first?

Not paranoid. I just know how this works. And I have to wonder, why are you assuming I've become personally invested in this? "My" candidate wouldn't have to stoop to it, because a Democratic win is pretty much guaranteed this presidential cycle.

Where did I say it was illegal?
now you're just making stuff up to attribute to me. Tacky? Sure. Illegal? Not at all.

Between now and New Years, you'll hear every candidate wishing the public a happy holiday in one sense or another. And you won't hear Huckabee crying foul when they do, either.

I look forward to Huckabee's Kwanzaa ad.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I look forward to Huckabee's Kwanzaa ad.

And I look forward to him celebrating Ramadan.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   

That Huckabee advertisement was certainly well scripted, well designed and well polished but conversely you get that uneasy feeling from watching it - the same feeling you get when you talk to a salesman at the used car garage who is to convince you into buying an 'old banger'.

I think Ron's statement on the advert did convey his true and honest opinion that he thought that this type of salesman style selling, in particular selling religion was cheap and somewhat patronising to the viewer although he wasn't given time to elucidate on what he said about the fascism quotation.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Ron Paul explains "fascism" on MTP

He was responding the question, not the video he hadn’t seen. Having seen the add, he does not believe it represented fascism in the form of a cross.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join