It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can a public company build a spaceship

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I’ve often wondered if it is possible for a public company to build a spaceship like NASA has

I heard it costs NASA something like 6 million every launch, so a multibillion dollar company willing to go to mars should be able to

So why are only government foundered organisations allowed / able to do it?

[edit on 16-12-2007 by Dark_Ace]

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
It costs nasa alot not only to launch , but maintainance costs alot, I hear that the sulttle has 2 milion parts that can be changed, and parts for the space shutle once they change them they cost a fortune, over all it's because of how the spacesuttle is constructed, in my opinion some one could build a space vehicle that acts like the shuttle for a cheaper price.

But why not build something biger? like a real space ship, it's not impisible to build.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
i didn't know about that thanks

but those only go into outer orbit i think

i dont think a company could go to the moon or mars without the support of the goverment as NASA already has problems going to mars for the past 30 years

i heard that nasa is going to have a man mission to mars in 2020 so that means we have the technology now to do it but it is just the peperation maybe

so could a company go to mars before nasa?

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
It's possible for a company to go to Mars before NASA, it depends on the money and knowledge.

But again, I think that only government-approved companies can be founded and launch the developed objects into space.

If you establish a company that's not a government-approved, you'll most likely get yourself thrown in jail.

So I think that's how it goes.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Above the Law

Originally posted by TheoOne
If you establish a company that's not a government-approved, you'll most likely get yourself thrown in jail.

Are you sure? As far as I can discover there are no legal strictures against private space exploration. That may change in the future, but at present the hurdle is cost. If you can afford to explore space, no-one's going to stop you.

Even if the US government decided to make space exploration illegal, there are 193 other countries to launch from. Since the best place for a launch is on the Equator, and many (if not most) of the countries lying on the Equator are poor and hungry for investment, you'd probably find any number of takers.

And once you're in orbit, who's to stop you?

Links to more articles on private space exploration than you could shake Anousheh Ansari at here.

Long thread on private space exploration at Space-Talk here.

Aspiring astronauts apply here.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

i heard that there is secret governemt bases on mars and the moon or that there is aliens on mars so if a company was to go to mars would they find out the real story?

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark_Ace
i heard that there is secret governemt bases on mars and the moon or that there is aliens on mars so if a company was to go to mars would they find out the real story?

You have heard wrong, Ace. There are no secret government bases on mars and the moon. There are no aliens on mars. Somebody (probably on TV or the internet) has been lying to you.

[edit on 18-12-2007 by Astyanax]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Sir Richard Branson and his Virgin Galactic group are taking bookings for their first 'Commercial Space Flight' service.

Virgin Galactic bookings

Interesting someone mentioning the Policing of Space, how would this work out? Would NATO and other Government bodies have to come together to establish some sort of 'ruling'. Though, how is this any different to how space is currently used in regards to satellites ?

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
There is also NASA's 'Commercial Orbital Transportation Services' program (or COTS). Since the Space Shuttle fleet is being retired in 2010, and NASA's 'Ares' launch vehicle and their 'Orion' Crew Exploration Vehicle will not be ready intil 2014-15, then NASA needs some spacecraft to fill the gap.

NASA will still need to send astronauts and supplies to the Space Station after 2010, but they will have no space vehicle for doing so. They are hoping that private inductry -- through the COTS program -- can help fill the gap. If not, then NASA will need to use the Russians or maybe another government's space vehicle to supply the Space Station with astronauts and provisions.

However, it has been slow going so far for COTS, and it doesn't look like any company will be ready to fly after the Shuttles stop flying in 2010.

Here's a Wikipedia Article about COTS:
NASA's COTS Program Wikipedia

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark_Ace

I have been working on a set of instructions on how to build your own space ship, sites.google.com... . If anyone has any suggestions feel free to contact me.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
There are no real restrictions - and there are plenty of private programs launching satellites and the like.

In a lot of respects - the existing space vehicles are already manufactured by private companies under a government contract to build them.

Really, you can make just about anything for private use - now, using it may be another issue - flying a plane at 10,000 feet without following the proper regulations can land you in hot water. Launching stuff into space without clearing some red-tape first can lead to problems for an otherwise legal endeavor.

Of course - there needs to be a reason for the private market to go up there. Manufacturing benefits, rare materials, or searches for commercially viable endeavors sponsored by those industries.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Richard Hammond?

If Top Gear can do it, why not?

MM

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
The problem is, there isn't the same kind of regulation over public companies and the intentions and purpose of travelling into space. There are laws (United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space) regarding what you can and can't do.

Anyone can build a spaceship but launching it into space is another story.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

Oh, what's the U.N. going to do? Write you a nasty letter?

On a more serious note - as the economy extends into space, so will the military. Sailing over water didn't stop people from bringing weapons along, flying through the air doesn't, either - I don't see any precedent for believing space will not follow the same fate.

So, I just hope I'll be able enough to apply to serve aboard the first stellar military vessel - or, heck, by that time, it might be a PMC that takes up that sort of thing.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Originally posted by Dark_Ace

You have heard wrong, Ace. There are no secret government bases on mars and the moon. There are no aliens on mars. Somebody (probably on TV or the internet) has been lying to you.

[edit on 18-12-2007 by Astyanax]

And although you say this with conviction, you very well may be wrong, as there is a great deal of evidence to the contrary. Dark_Ace, may I suggest you do some research on your questions? Start here.

I will include a few of my bookmarks to get to started. Never just take a person's words for gospel, find out for yourself.
German Moon Base Alpha

Secret Moon Base Photos Revealed!

Secret Mars Base Exposed

Two whistleblowers independently report teleporting to Mars and meeting Martian extraterrestrials

Secret Colonies on Mars

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Well for one, you would need a reason to go to mars or the moon, without established shelters, you would have to set your own up, and since there do not appear to be materials there to build the shelters out of, you would have to bring your own material, adding to the weight of the vehicle, which would also add in more fuel needed for lift off, and the more fuel, the more added weight as well.

If you are able to lift off with all of the added weight and had enough money to pay for it, you would also need a reason to go where you are going, would there be anything valuable there that you could sell back on Earth for a profit to help offset some of the initial costs?

Perhaps you want to set up a resort there so people could vacation there, which would be a revenue maker, but would people be willing to pay enough to help offset your costs or even make a profit from, if so, would it be a once in a lifetime trip for these people or would it be a regular seasonal thing?

There are many considerations to consider, you can not just go and do it because you can, there would have to be some kind of profit involved from a corporate standpoint.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
You might want to check out Robert Bigalow's website, it has been done, there is another company in California who has built one also but the name doesn't come to mind..they are doing it at a fraction of the cost.

www.bigelowaerospace.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Are you referring to Virgin Galactic as the other company? I know they are working towards a goal to having space tourism as a regular vacation experience, but although they are signing people up for initial rides.

I know the fees they charge are to help with operating costs, and I would hope they made allowances for profit on top of that, but in the long run, I don’t see it being more than a fad unless there is a destination to take the space tourists to, such as an orbital space station set up as a resort of sorts, or a resort on the moon or even Mars.

Even if this is not the company you were referring to and they are doing it for more business reasons such as putting satellites in orbit, etc., they will still need to have a long term goal for the company that will bring in revenue to keep the operation afloat, which would probably take them into space tourism as well, which leads to points above.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

Thank you, yes that is the other company I was referring to, hate when I can't remember something at the time I need it, the good news is that some great member like you always comes through, isn't that what ATS is all about.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join