It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brit Army 'losing battalion' a year to drugs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Brit Army 'losing battalion' a year to drugs

news.bbc.co.uk

The Army is dismissing the equivalent of almost a battalion of soldiers every year for taking drugs, a report says.

The Royal United Services Institute said the number of positive tests for illegal drugs, like ecstasy and heroin, rose from 517 in 2003 to 769 last year.

Positive tests for coc aine use rose four-fold during the same period. A dishonourable discharge is likely after a positive test for illegal drug use.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   
This seems a large number of soldiers to lose on a yearly basis.
Although I think its right that there is no place for drugs in the Army,I can sort of understand why people in such a stressful job may resort to drugs in order to cope.
Losing a battalion a year must put a lot of strain on the Army,but this is probably preferable to having drug using soldiers who would put their colleagues at risk of danger.
Any thoughts?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I do think stress might very well be the cause. I however can't shake the feeling that it might be a way for people to get out of the army that want to get out.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:08 AM
link   
What do they expect exactly ?

They recruit a disproportionate amount of the cannon fodder from working class communities in the north of England, Scotland & Wales where having a puff puff pass is as common as having a beer. And they're surprised when so many guys fail a random urine test ?

Jeesh.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
They are too strict on it, end of.

They should give the soldiers a chance to change and offer guidance. This isn't a bit of pot we're talking about, but use of hard rugs such as coc aine and heroin. Surely, as in civilian life, they should perhaps look at the root causes of abuse and try to solve them, rather than just dismissing troopers.

Last month, 17 soldiers from the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders were dismissed for drug abuse. 17 in one regiment in one month!!

When I went for my Army interview when I was 17, they threw a fit because I told them I had dabbled in this and that. I thought I was being honest and told them I didn't make a habit of it and only experimented, as alot of youngsters do.

Basically they were saying that I couldn't join because of dangers of flashbacks and mental illness.

Ten years later, no flashbacks or mental illness, plus they are down one potential soldier who scored exceptionally high on his entrance exam and would have made an excellent engineer.

As it stands, I now earn twice as much doing the same job in the civilian sector, without the hassle of being a squaddie.

The ironic thing is that in the Army they have a heavy drinking culture, so while not wanting their guys to have a joint on the weekend, they are more than happy for them to get pissed beyond belief and cause misery for the local civilians and damage their health in the process much more than occasional drug use will.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Hey,I had not thought of that.You could be right there,it may be the easiest way to get out,albeit with a dishonorable discharge.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Yes it may be the easiest way to get out. Just from what I remember getting out like that is not something a person would want to follow them for the rest of there life. It makes employment in the civilian sector much more difficult.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I'd love to know how they can afford Coke on their wages....

When I was in the RAF Regiment, 5 guys from my SQN got binned when they were caught taking drugs, but they were caught in an RAF police sting not my drug testing.

And on a footnote.
I remember before a 48Hr patrols being sent to the med centre to get my 'Lucky Bag' in which was a small batch of amphetamine sulphate tablets to keep us awake and alert.

Peace...

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Cant have the grunts skimming the merchandise.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

"They are too strict on it, end of.

They should give the soldiers a chance to change and offer guidance. This isn't a bit of pot we're talking about, but use of hard rugs such as coc aine and heroin. Surely, as in civilian life, they should perhaps look at the root causes of abuse and try to solve them, rather than just dismissing troopers."

I agree Stu,I get the feeling that the MOD think its cheaper to just get rid of the users instead of offering support to them to get over their problems.
Same old story really.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

I do think stress might very well be the cause. I however can't shake the feeling that it might be a way for people to get out of the army that want to get out.

What I was thinking. The wars are also so unpopular that an employer would probably not even care about the "dishonourbale" bit in an interview. Although someone would probably avoid mentioning it, anyway...

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

What I was thinking. The wars are also so unpopular that an employer would probably not even care about the "dishonourbale" bit in an interview. Although someone would probably avoid mentioning it, anyway...

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by monkey_descendant

Yes the war is most definitely unpopular. I don't know how much of difference that will make though. I guess time will tell. If it means anything I hope the people using the drugs will stop after they are away from the stress or get help if it is needed.

top topics

join