It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CompUSA goes bye bye

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Source

I haven't seen this posted anywhere on here, so forgive me if it has. CompUSA announced that it was being sold to Specialty Equity, an affiliate of private equity firm Gordon Brothers Group.
I am not really suprised as the competition in this market is unbelievable. When you have New Egg, Tiger Direct, Fry's Electronics and countless others to compete with you can't stay in business with those big retail store prices plus bad service. You need to have at least one of those qualities.
I hate to see the all of these people lose their jobs too. But I don't feel this necessarily economy driven shut down either. I think it is more of the competition kicking them out for good and very bad deccision making own the part of the executives running the company
Good luck to all the CompUSA employees. This is a bad time to learn that you are going to be un-employed soon.

apc

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I've never even heard of those other companies you mention. But I used to work for CompUSA! Eight years ago that is... They were a crappy company then too. After the one here in town closed last year I was wondering how long they would last. In a world where people can download software faster than it would take to drive to the store, and most any piece of hardware can be purchased online at half the price, the mega computer stores are a dying breed.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
I've never even heard of those other companies you mention.

You've never heard of Fry's Electronics!!!!???? Hmmmm...
To be honest, I hadn't heard of the other two that he mentioned, New Egg (?) Tiger Direct (?)...

[edit on 13-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
You've never heard of Fry's Electronics!!!!???? Hmmmm...
To be honest, I hadn't heard of the other two that he mentioned, New Egg (?) Tiger Direct (?)...

New Egg and Tiger Direct are online stores. Waaaay better prices than CompUSA!
I have never seen a Fry's Electronics, but I have heard of them. Until I see one with my own eyes, I will continue to think of them as a myth.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
comp usa sucked anyway.
i went to one in cleveland once and it was pretty damn terrible. nothing specific to point out, just that it sucked.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by secret titan

I have never seen a Fry's Electronics, but I have heard of them. Until I see one with my own eyes, I will continue to think of them as a myth.

Well, they are all over Houston, so, no, they're not a "myth."

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
CompUSA is going to have liquidation sales so you can scoop up stuff at huge discounts. Good deals should be had on all stock

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Speaker, you should look those companies up. They have some great deals.
If you are into electronic tech at all it they are great places to research. I build my own PC's and I use them all the time.
Also I totally agree that CompUSA sucked. They were over-priced and had terrible customer service. Still sucks for the employees at Christmas though.

top topics

join