It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Circular orbit is rare?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I was watching a history channel special on the universe, I forget what it was called exactly, but thats besides the point.

The program mentioned how astronomers find planets by looking for the wobble of its star. They also mentioned that our solar system doesn't have this wobble because we have a rare circular orbit....

Why is our solar system so unique to the observable space around us?

Does having a circular instead of a oblong orbit mean anything?

Can rare circular orbits tell us anything consistent?

Also I had this idea....
Does a circular orbit mean that or solar system was influenced intelligently?

Think about it. if you had the power to move or create planets or moons, you could literally make a bullseye out of a solar system with the right amount of time.

Why would you want to make a bullseye?

To show that this or any circular orbit solar system is/was intelligently manipulated to create a beacon for other interstellar travelers.

People say that the moon could be an ET spaceship. If that were true then it would be possible to slowly space out planets, and balance orbits to align to form a circular (bullseye) solar system.

Instead of looking for the wobble why not look for a perfectly stable star. Or are they too hard to find?

I am also not claiming to know anything special, I just wanted to hear some intelligent discussion.

Thanks

[edit on 12-12-2007 by IMAdamnALIEN]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I guess its too late for astronomers to chime in, Ill have to hope for a reply tomorrow...

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by IMAdamnALIEN

The more circular the orbit, the less fluctuation there is in the "seasons" of the planets. I would guess that these traits of orbital mechanics would be dependent on the spin of matter in the early stages of formation of a solar system.

Naturally, the less the fluctuations, at least up to a point, the better the likelihood that life of the type we are familiar with, would arise.

However, I would caution against reading too much into the limited statistics that are available. Those systems with a great amount of "wobble", which are indicative of planets with an abundance of bodies in an eccentric orbit , would naturally be easier to locate than those systems with planets in a more stable orbit. Therefore the statics may be currently skewed towards those systems that show a larger pattern.

Just my opinion on the matter.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

This is what I love about this site. You ask a question, and someone intelligent responds.

Thanks for the reply.

I would think that looking for the eccentric orbit would always mean that the planet making the star wobble would be too unstable to support life. Also the whole solar system would be on that wacky orbit around its sun, making life on the other planets in that solar system impossible to spring up.

Is it still not possible that our life giving stable solar system was manipulated to make a haven for life?.....

Was our circular solar system made by chance?

Just look at what life we can see here, just imagine what life we cannot see that is here sharing our planet and our solar system.

I think I need a outside-the-box reply for this.....

Any takers?

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
How disappointing

No one can discuss this further?

How sad

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
like NGC2736 said, its too early to say if theyre rare or common we dont have enough data.

current models allow for some eccentricity in the orbit but too much is bad news. Weve found at least 1 excellent system 55 Cancri which is very curcular so they cant be that rare

we will know alot more when we get the full results from CoRoT & Kepler missions

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Excellent!

Thanks for the reply.

Keep us posted on your findings!

top topics

join