It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 17 cockle pickers die from drowning in England

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
At least 17 chinese illegal immigrants harvesting cockles died when caught by the tide 2 miles from land in freezing waters in England.

news.xinhuanet.com...

The question of the moment however is... can you say "cockle pickers" 5 times fast?

or repeat this saying 5 times. "I'm not a cockle picker, I'm a cockle pickers son".

[Edited on 6-2-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
You can pick your cockles and you can pick your friends...but you damned sure better not try to pick this friend's cockle!

How many cockles could a cockle picker pick if a cockle picker hadn't drowned picking cockles?

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
what is a cockle??

I realize it's some sort of sealife, but exactly what, I don't understand that terminology, but it sure is a funny word.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   

from here...
www.swan.ac.uk...

They are very nice to eat, sweet taste.

There is an old english saying "it warms the cockles of my heart"
Meaning: Causes a pleasant feeling of a sentimental kind, is comforting, is reassuring.
Origin: Not clear. The shell of the cockle, a mussel, is somewhat heart-shaped, but that may not have produced this phrase.
Entry from Webster's Second Unabridged, 1934: "Cockles of the heart: A phrase (in which 'cockles' is of uncertain meaning) denoting the depths of the heart; as, to 'delight, rejoice, cheer, warm,' etc., 'the cockles of one's heart.'"

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
thanks netchicken

it looks like clam

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
can i Remind you that 19 cocklers have have died from this

[Edited on 6-2-2004 by leejones]

[Edited on 6-2-2004 by leejones]

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Yea really...

Sounds like it is ok for 17 chinese illegal immigrants in UK to die harvesting cockles...

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
take a chill pill leejones and yoda, I don't think anyone is trying to minimize the tragedy of 17 or 19 illegal immigrants dying while diving for clams.

I read the article. I feel bad for them and their families, they were trying to make a living.

But to some of us, the word "cockle" is not a familiar one. I personally had never heard of it, so what if someone askes what it is and if anyone makes a word play on the "cockle".

big deal!!!

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Joke staged by British symbolists. Probably Masonic in nature. Wonder how Chinese propaganda responds.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Sorry I'm all out of chill pills right now...

But I do have some on order...

Chill Pill

However I didn't find it amusing that it started out like a joke...

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Yoda I shall keep your sensitivities in mind the next time I make a post on cotton picken cockle pickers.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Yoda I shall keep your sensitivities in mind the next time I make a post on cotton picken cockle pickers.

It's not that, it's the jokes was associated with the death of people...

To me death isn't a laughing matter, it's permanent...

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I agree with Yoda- it was poor taste to post a joke, after disclosing the deaths of so many people, who in all probability were just trying to survive.
Death is not a matter to joke about- you should have posted a picture of all that died, that would have fit the subject of your thread better than the cockle crack.
Man...enogh said. Must be the full moon-

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I agree with Yoda- it was poor taste to post a joke, after disclosing the deaths of so many people, who in all probability were just trying to survive.
Death is not a matter to joke about- you should have posted a picture of all that died, that would have fit the subject of your thread better than the cockle crack.
Man...enogh said. Must be the full moon

Thank you Journey...

Was feeling I was alone here, except for leejones, in my convictions...

Journey...hmmm...always liked that band...

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Newsflash

The British government has announced that the severely underpaid Morcambe cockle pickers are to be given a 30% pay rise.

It is hoped this will help to keep their heads above water.

[Edited on 13-2-2004 by Kurgen]

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 01:31 AM
link   
OK somone in England lost their job for this joke...

Two sharks are swimming around England and getting sick of eating tuna and haddock.

So one shark says to the other "Lets go up to Morcombe and get some chinese instead".

top topics

join