It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adverts impact on children probed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Flagged & Starred! I agree 100% that this is a huge problem for everyone but particularly for children. It is now to the point where the entire focus of our existence is to own crap that we don't need. It is disgusting and we all ought to be ashamed of ourselves. Imagine what we could achieve if we set our minds to ending hunger, poverty, or disease? Instead, all we really care about is purchasing that new HD TV or the latest fashions. It's sick.

reply to post by annestacey

I have a personal rule that would be very interesting if everyone in America adopted. I don't buy anything I see advertised on TV (or any other mainstream media).

That's a really good idea. My husband and I don't watch TV (we download any shows we may wish to watch off the Internet so we can get them commercial free) although I'm definitely going to suggest this to some of my relatives who are totally name-brand addicted.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Even if this and other studies prove that it's harmful to children, it won't essentially change advertising. Business couldn't function without it. One of our most important functions in a capitalist society is to be consumers; with or without ads our children are being raised to be consumers (I'm not saying I agree with this state of things, I'm just saying that's the way it is). The most we can expect from a study such as this will be a change in the way advertising is presented to children and young people; maybe a more "soft sell" approach to products. There is no way to keep advertising from them until they reach a certain age. The media is everywhere.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
maybe a more "soft sell" approach to products.

Absolutely, there should be a more concerted effort on the part of the advertisers to say "we would suggest X over Y but its your choice ultimately" rather than the "buy X because it will get you laid more times/make you look happier/make you look younger/everyone else is and you'd be a loser not to join in" mentality

Although advertising is something of a double-edged sword that can be turned on it'soriginator to very good effect to parody the shallowness of the original advertisment...

Take the creative anti-culture group AdBusters for example...they've come up with some almost-award winning anti-ad campaigns

Calvin Klein for men:

Absolut Vodka:

Tommy Hilfiger

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
sadly... I remember watching channel one... (getting closer to 10 years now though) It was an interesting show... hosted by Lisa Ling... Anderson Cooper, and a few other side anchors that I cannot recall the names of. It started off with TV or Movie adverts... nothing bad... teeny bopper movies... then like 10 minutes good news coverage for people in their teens-twenties. after that an ad for toothpaste or some other health item (or the fast food joints in the school) and that was that. So the adverts aren't new... but I'm sure it's down to 7.5 minutes of news and 7.5 minutes of advertising.

Any current high schoolers care to pay attention to channel 1 and give us an update?

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

Is that last ad the real ad? If so, then that for sure definitely contains millions of words.

Originally posted by masqua
reply to post by TheoOne

Please explain.

Are you suggesting that adverts may have the potential for suicidal tendencies in children?

If it were, it would be damning evidence indeed if a link could be proven.

Please expand on this thought of yours.

grammar edit

[edit on 10/12/07 by masqua]

I believe I have meant the article implies nothing about the suicide effects on children, yet the media reports about the ads issue.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TheoOne

I would hope that any research into advertising finds that it is a part of the cause of suicide in children.

After all, this does seem to be one of the problems related to advertising due to the effects it has on children.

As some have said here, it's the way you're made to feel you're a loser if you don't buy the things others have got, or buy better than them.

Teenagers are most probably the worst affected in this situation. Not only have they got to deal with huge hormonal changes, but they have to deal with the 'in crowd' and other social difficulties for their time frames.

If suicide can be linked to advertising then the advertising companies are guilty of brainwashing, murder and, possibly, a few other human rights laws being broken.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I'm trying to keep a watchful eye open for any further information regarding all this.

Found this snippet of news the other day, Quite some rather interesting info in it.

The increasing commercial exploitation of children is fuelling a rise in bullying, obesity and depression among Britain's youngsters, according to a recent study.

Companies are accused of routinely hiring child and consumer psychologists to "help them target children effectively", with devastating consequences for the health and wellbeing of youngsters.

"The pressure to consume and conform can lead to excessive levels of materialism and competition among children, leading to bullying. There are dangerous consequences for the physical and mental health of young people.

www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2007/12/10/nkids110.xml

Following the links provided in the report itself adds to the content of this topic and I highly suggest you get the chance to read them.

Thanks all for your input so far.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join