It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid passing through Dec. 09, 2007

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
So Sunday an asteroid will come within 7.8 Lunar Distances of Earth. And to me that sounds pretty close. Since it will have a mag of 18, does that mean it will be visible?
NASA Orbit map
spaceweather.com

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Well Gosh Golly,

I'd say someone with a telescope outta go out and check it out don't you?

"25years my lifeis still trying to get up that great big hill of life for a destintion" Linda Perry

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by smarteye

...nice find, so this will be about 1.5+ million miles from Earth, yet the NASA page shows the asteroid passing right through our orbit. I guess we're in another part of that; anyone know could this affect weather/quakes somehow? Hmmm, tomorrow -- what time?

[edit on 8-12-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
That means that there is a 6.8 times greater chance that the moon will hit us, or cause earthquakes and strange weather here on that day…

Magnitude of 18 is pretty dim. In magnitudes the lower the number the brighter the object is. Pluto has a magnitude of 13, the moon -12, and the sun -26.

[edit on 12/8/2007 by defcon5]

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Thanks, I guess thats a no view event then.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
This is nothing. 7.8 LD's is still pretty far away. We see NEO's much closer than that all the time. In fact there is one going to be a closer one on January 29, 2008. 2007 TU24 will come within 1.4 LD.

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

It must be pretty small because it is only a magnitude 20. Impossible for the amiture astronomer to see with a telescope.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I think that there is also a meteor shower on this same date. And they may be very entertaining this year.

We are watching as an extremely dangerous Ice Storm heads our way even as we speak. WE were without services for 10 days last January.

A very good indication of weather phenomena?

Manipulation?

Or perhaps a warning of things to come? Life without commerce, or the luxuries we have learned to love so much?

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   

top topics

join