It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

religious folk freaking out about the movie the golden compass

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MaatiHemet

nope, it actually refers to a material device that can reveal the truth to you if you know how to use it properly.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by UScitizen
I would like to know whats fueling their paranoia.

IT'S JUST A MOVIE!!!

I saw the previews and seeing the armored bear and other scenes seemed cool.

Based on this I was even thinking Jakob my nephew might like it. Why people have to make a big deal is beyond me. If it was a movie with Satan showing his ugly head etc and fighting against Angels then I might have a problem.

I will look deeper and see what the big deal is but first off it just looks like a fantasy movie.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I find it ironic that people who live their lives by a fantasy would object to another's fantasy. Don't like the movie? Don't see it. I don't like religion so I don't go to church. It's just that easy.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 03:04 AM
link   
^ Exactly.

But honestly, people just like to get their names out. Every time something gets successful, a group of people starts a riot to get attention. Look at the scrutiny McDonalds (Supersize Me), Abercrombie & Fitch (racial discrimination), Harry Potter (Paganism), Starbucks (propaganda about 9/11), and Disney (inappropriate subliminal messaging) have gotten.

I'm not saying all these things are false accusations; I'm just saying people make a lot out of a little and stir up controversy to get on the news (because it's sensational to go against the mainstream).

In my opinion, these sorts of things are mainly for publicity albeit negative publicity, not because these people actually strongly believe that a childrens' fantasy movie is about 'killing God' but rather to get in the headlines and hopefully gather a couple followers.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Some Catholics freaked when the books came out,and when the story was performed on stage.

Personally,i don't see what the problem is.I'm a big fan of the books (not seen the film yet) and each time i read them i fail to find any reference to Jesus,Christianity or Catholicism.

I wonder,for those who speak out against such things,is their faith so weak that they think a film has the power to destroy their beliefs????

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
i guess any pr is good pr or is it?

not sure i am not religious per se, i am not atheist either, i wouldn't put myself into a "box" and i am always open to changing my opinion

my opinion of religion is that it is basically an *option* for strength in someone's belief system some people will argue to maintain their beliefs or complain when others argue another point of view because their sanity depends on their beleif in what works for them or what they choose to believe (and they don't like others threatening it even inadvertantly)

i can't really blame people for this, it is human nature IMO

Sometimes people have belief systems where they have to be right and have to be in control and they fear admitting wrongs, so they go thru life as "arrogant jerks" often i believe because they don't know any other way, the reason i bring this up is that others often take shots at the "religious" because in their opinion it is a crutch, but they themselves may have their own crutches which give some of their beleifs strength (and wether they understand it or not IMO they get the results they wish because they believe things to be true, not because they are absolutely true which is a bit .....deep) anyway these crutches can be in any aspect of their life, doesn't have to be religion.

I have friends who are religous and i simply and in a good tone or using humor tell them i'm not gonna discuss those topics with them. it's point less really , people are arguing over whose belief system makes more sense, who's is more "right". there are numersous belief systems which will work for many diffent people and it doesn't matter whose "seem right" as long as they lead people into personal happiness IMO and do so with good intentions and don't hurt others. Also and this is a key a person will not willingly change their beleif system unless they have another beleif system ready (at hand) or waiting in the wings that makes sense to them, the absense of this will be a fear which freezes them from changing their mind , this fear resides under thier "ignorance" or close mindedness which serves to protects them from potential harm losing the peace of mind that their beliefs give them.

[edit on 9-12-2007 by cpdaman]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I'm reading the books, and other than the fact that they call the companion soul a "daemon" (technically a Greek term for soul), I can't see a thing to object to. Can't say I've warmed up to some of the characters, but it's been an interesting read.

REALLY dislike Lyra's parents so far (I'm on the first third of the 2nd book.)

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Its not freaking out the way you think. The media has a way of attacking the church, because satan runs the world as the bible says, and he controls the media and is the father of lies.

I havent seen the movie, I actually dont go to movies anymore.

What the others you mentioned do is stir up hatred for the church by lies. Like davinci code.

God does not come to earth to sleep with a women. He made sex, and doesnt have that weakness.

put perverted liars love to lie all the day long because they dont have understanding.

Its ok to make a movie, but without personal lying attacks. Why do people have to attack the church for no reason?

Its like people are scared of the church being true, Satan knows its true, but people cant just leave it alone.

You got to rememebr, that lying is easy, anybody can do it. this is the age we are in.

peace.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

god created eating, but he doesn't have that weakness...
god created breathing, but he doesn't have that weakness...

hmm hmm hmm
your argument lacks logic.

anyway, the movie isn't attacking the church, it's just a movie
the book might be more of a target, as it isn't watered down.

byrd, i don't think you're supposed to like lyra's parents...
i'm at the part shortly after they depart for the north in the first book and i really like the gyptians and the overall world that the author weaves. lyra is an interesting character too

it's a shame that christianity stole that wonderful word "daemon" and made it something horrible.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   
eating and breathing are (NECESSARY)

for living madness.

Sex is not, not with grace. I myself am going all of my life without it, its hard, but not with Gods grace He literaly enters you and you see women like he does.

God sees women differently than the bulging eyed man does. Hes not attracked to his creatures like a weak man.

Oh and I havent seen the davinci code, I know that its about Mary magdelene though.

Could you please give me the baises of the story?

peace.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

Uhm,Sex! is just as necessary as breathing and eating,without it life would cease to exist!!

There is one important thing people need to know about the De Vinci Code.It is not a work of fantasy,the author did not pluck the topic out of thin air!
Everything in it pertaining to Jesus & Mary Magdalene are things that have been around for 2000yrs.References mentioned are all from historical documents,these things can be found in many different books and on the internet,all you have to do is look!

It should also be noted that the book does not deny that Jesus was the Son of God,it does not deny that his teachings were false,it does not deny that he worked miracles etc.All it does is claim that,if he was born of woman,then he was mortal,and that he was married and had a family with Mary Magdalene.
If Mary was not important in the life of Jesus then why has the Catholic Church demonized her? They seem to have gone out of their way to drag her name through the mud when,quite easily,she could have been ignored.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join