It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heptagram shaped hole found inside a rock

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Heptagram shaped hole found inside a rock

www.mre.no

The only info I could find on this is yet in Norwegian. I will translate the intro:

"During the process of digging and removing rock, a strangely shaped hole was found at Vikeneset, Norway. The hole looks like a seven-pointed star, has a 6cm diameter and runs into the massive rock. About 4 meters of the hole is dug out, but it seems to continue horizontaly into the mountain."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nrk.no
www.mre.no

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I know all the text is in norwegian, but please have a look at the picture.

I sure don't know what this is, and neither does any asked experts, so I thought maybe you people on ATS could have some thoughts on what happened here.

This was also shown on norwegian TV toghether with the local priest claiming it to be a sign from God. The heptagram is said to be the symbol of perfection (or God)

Other experts have claimed it to be drilled, or rather "hammered" through. But the area was covered in soil just days ago, and so far no one has a good answer to this mysterious hole.

/Vaak

www.mre.no
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/12/07 by Vaak]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Well that is certainly interesting...I've never seen anything like it!

I have a good friend who has a Ph.D. in Geology. I will forward this story to him and ask his opinion. I'll report back on what he says, but it may take a couple of days.

Keeb

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
hmm and the inside is smooth looking this is either natural (unlikely) or a atomic tunneler (too small). i really dont know...aliens?...no i think ive overused that explanation.

apc

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
"Woah" was my first reaction.

They should send a robot in there or at least a plumbers camera. See if there's a chamber at the end.

Normally I would say it was made by Man centuries ago only to be buried like many other ruins, or recently as a hoax. But four meters and no end in sight... I think this is pushing the limits of that explanation.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
It could be a hole for an axial. Maybe the rock was part of a grinding wheel used in grinding grain or crushing grapes.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I got my Dad out of bed to have a look. I'm intrigued. Dad says EDM or ECM (Electrical Discharge Machining and Electro-Chemical Machining) are used to create such complex shapes in metals and that it might be able to produce the same in rock with a high enough conductivity.

There could be other possibilities but I thought I'd try and add to the discussion something that "could" do this.

Another idea is a salt type of formation in the void lost over time by solution. The shape is very regular and what one might not exactly expect - such symmetry. It could be natural I suppose.

Great find

Mira

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Wow! Looks like a falling star punched a hole right through it.

I really want to know what's on the other side...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Maybe a crystalline structure formed in the rock and then disintegrated over time? Crystals are both highly symmetrical and often brittle.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Vaak, where in Norway was this found? Could you post a link to the area in google earth or something?

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I have some data to offer. In Feb 2005 this was on another board a person named Kjeks has an answer that seems reasonable and there are some better pictures. A link: forums.somethingawful.com...

Search term Kjeks. Seems they were satisfied as the thread ended shortly after. Thanks to Vaak from Fred-kvinne.

Mira

EDIT: It was found near Volde... more at the link posted.

[edit on 5-12-2007 by Mira_of_lurk0more]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Well done Mira.
Looking at the photos at the site linky I do recognize the heptagram shape and would bet the heptagram goes no more than 4 feet into the rock, round-ish-kinda deeper than that. That's a small hole and doesn't sound deep at all.

It happens when you're punchin' a hole with compressed air and a hex bit setting up for cordite or slurry shots. It doesn't matter the angle horizontal, down... Guys in Sudbury drill up sometimes. The drill doesn't spin "around" it reciprocates either 30 or 60 degrees and then back... while hammering in, six sides groove out a seventh. Different machines can be set up to vary this degree of rotation and hammer stroke. Next time you see a person running a jackhammer have a look you'll see what I mean (wear safety glasses and ear protection if you get up close).

The shape happens from harmonics and the drill bit fightin' for bite. Get a few feet in and it will round out unless they were stupid enough to use a really bent bit. When you cut a hole with a dull or bent pike this happens. With a fresh bit and cutting fluid you get a round cut because the drill doesn't helicopter and wobble. Certain drill and air compressor problems can produce some weird results too.

Way back about the time of the survey arc there Struve Geodetic Arc 1828-1855 holes were drilled by hand and guess what? You can get the same shape when the bit-holding person rotates and lifts the bit while sometimes 3 to 4 people would take turns hitting the bit's strike head with 20 pound sledge hammers with a hollowed striker to prevent the top of the bit from fragmenting and possibly killing someone. It was the 1800's people worked very hard and it was dangerous.

Nice thread. Cheers

Vic

EDIT - The Halliburton dude had the best answer.

[edit on 5-12-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Artig greier, thanks for the info.

Not sure what to make of it.

Frontkjemper

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Maybe it there was a water pocket in the rock at some point in time and the water froze and expanded in that way, only to melt later and seep down through porous rock.

apc

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

I can totally see how that could cause this. I've had practically the same thing happen before drilling into concrete. Just don't let go of the drill when it's resonating.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

Very good! I had a hunch it was due to the practice of strike - quarter turn - strike.

It's either that or something very freaky.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaak

obviously to a rational mind no such hole in rock is a natural phenomenom?----a power/energy directed by a thinking mind------------whether of this earth or exterestial used a power source (laser/partical beam tool/weapon) to blast this hole into your rock.--------thanks for sharing with us .

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by yahn goodey

after reading some more ------the 7 points of the star----------yes ------could be a steel jackhammer bit to start with thats not rotating----------for whatever reason?----------not enough resistence from the rock? or drill hammer faulty?--------but there has to be a point at which the "bit" rotates for it to clear out the rock debris if drilling down ?--------or it will jamb----choke on its own self made garbage.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
WOW, nice hole (words I never thought I would say on ATS, but it is).

I would say, shoot some lasers into the hole to find its shape and depth.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I might have an idea...check this place maybe a phone call could help you send them a picture they might give you some answers.

www.tandtcarbide.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join