It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My pilot light wont stay lit!

page: 1

join
share:
apc

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Water heater.

This started with the pilot light going out every couple of hours. I replaced the thermocouple with a newish one I found lying around and it was difficult to keep lit, but it would light. I could get a hot shower out of it before it would go back out.

Now it won't stay lit at all. I can light it and on releasing the button it goes right back out.

Should I try another thermocouple? Could the entire valve unit have failed?

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Aw man if the pilot won't stay lit I bet you do need a thermo couple. It'd be cheaper to try it than calling the repair guy.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
There isn't much that could go wrong with a gas water heater. If you heat or cook with gas and that is working then it isn't your gas supply.

I would buy a new thermocouple as I don't trust things just laying around as the one you found to replace the old one. Sometimes even new parts are defective.

If it's an older heater I would check the burner for rust.

Good luck....cold showers are no fun.

apc

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies.

This so lame. It's the valve. I replaced the thermocouple again and discovered that the pilot light is turning off occasionally when the tstat shuts off the burner.

I hate changing these damn things. Whole house smells like gas when you're done.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

Whole house smells like gas when you're done.

I saw the thread title and came here to give you advice on Alzheimer's.

WARNING !!!!!!!!!!

Shut off other pilot lights when working on gas, like the stove or dryer.
If you can smell gas in your house after replacing the part, get every window and door open until it dissipates. Don't use fans or motors, and don't flip any switches that might cause a spark. While the house airs out do a soap test on all your connections.

We hate to see fellow ATS members explode..........:shk:

apc

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Seriously? This is how I perform my annual whole-house sterilization. You crazy?

I just have an ubersensitive nose. The tiny bit of gas that is lost when you first remove the valve I can smell for the rest of the day.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Yeah, mercaptan tends to linger in the air for a long time.
It's like running over a skunk and you can't wash the smell out of your wheel well.

top topics

join