It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fraud, intimidation and bribery as Putin prepares for victory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Fraud, intimidation and bribery as Putin prepares for victory

www.guardian.co.uk

The Kremlin is planning to rig the results of Russia's parliamentary elections on Sunday by forcing millions of public sector workers across the country to vote, the Guardian has learned.
Local administration officials have called in thousands of staff on their day off in an attempt to engineer a massive and inflated victory for President Vladimir Putin and his United Russia party.Voters are being pressured to vote for United Russia or risk losing their jobs...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.guardian.co.uk
www.guardian.co.uk
www.guardian.co.uk

www.guardian.co.uk

[edit on 12/1/2007 by biggie smalls]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Its seems the US isn't the only country that likes to rig elections (yeah, that's for you Bushie).

This is very sickening coming from a supposed democracy. What is this world coming to? One totalitarian state after another is rising...

Who will be next, the UK? Ooops, too late.

Analysts say the pressure is designed to ensure a resounding win for the United Russia party and for Putin, who heads its party list. The victory would give him a public mandate to maintain ultimate power in the country as "National Leader" despite being unable to stand for a third term as president in March.

Let's hope the Russians are strong enough to vote him out of office. He wants to stay for a third term, sounds kind of like Chavez trying to stay in power...

Good luck fellow citizens of the world, we have a long hard fight ahead of us.

Ivan, power station worker, Ufa
Every worker is being forced to take an absentee ballot and instructed to vote at one particular polling station with the rest of the workforce, all together for United Russia. It will be very easy for them to count who has turned up, who hasn't, and how they've voted. On every shift, in every department we are constantly being told that if you don't comply you'll get the sack.

Yelena, nurse, Ulan Ude
Every week we have a work briefing in our poliklinik [doctor's surgery]. They are always pressing on us to vote for United Russia. The head doctor ... says that if we don't vote for United Russia we won't get our Putin pribavki [federal funds added to nurses' salaries].

...And the testimonies continue on the bottom of the OP link.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Thread already exists:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have replied to this nonsense there already.

Over 70-80% of people in Russia support the "United Russia" so I cannot understand why people from abroad try to make the situation look otherwise. Let this be a good example for YOUR government on how to act in your own country to gain that much of support.

[edit on 1-12-2007 by Leevi]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Leevi

united russia is just another term for continued kremlin rule.do you trust the kremlin enough to run you?, thats what it boils down to.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by welivefortheson
reply to post by Leevi

united russia is just another term for continued kremlin rule.do you trust the kremlin enough to run you?, thats what it boils down to.

Yes I do and I understand where it goes. Our country has resurrected from a clinical death of the 90's thanks to these people and president Putin..There is no better alternative to this party, after all..

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Leevi

This is from the UK newspaper. I am an American citizen however.

And do not think for a minute I believe all that I read. This topic has been on a lot of 'westerners' minds (Russia is technically in the 'west' too) as we have trouble keeping our politicians honest as well. Not to mention Mr Bush possibly wanting a 3rd term as 'President' or whatever he calls himself these days. Cheney doesn't even consider himself part of the executive branch, so maybe he wants to elect himself dictator for a while. Who knows.

We live in a crazy mixed up world...

The media is biased no matter where one lives though, as unfortunate as that is.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leevi
Yes I do and I understand where it goes. Our country has resurrected from a clinical death of the 90's thanks to these people and president Putin..There is no better alternative to this party, after all..

Must be pretty bad if there is no better alternative to corrupt gangsters, neo-imperialists, ex-commies, ex-KGB-thugs, and Holodomor-deniers.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Hahaha...

I'm sorry, but that whole news story was spun worse than the story of Moses.

He's telling public sectors to vote...
So all he's guilty of is demanding that everyone go to the voting polls to ensure accuracy.
Yeah, thats sooo criminal.

As for the voters being told to vote a certain way or lose their job... helloooo, if that were true you'd have thousands of people to quote on the matter... but you don't... instead you've got the guardian saying "we heard it somewhere..."

You're on ATS, you should be able to spot propaganda when you see it.

[edit on 1-12-2007 by johnsky]

new topics

top topics

join