It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bubble gum music.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Isn't it funny how someone who complains about "today's music" being bubble-gum thinks of Slipknot as being "real hard-core"? It just shows how as generations pass, each new one gets more and more bubbly. Slipknot is definitely bubble-gum popular music, but just of an older generation (by a year or two maybe).

Kids these days

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MinMin

lotsa vids of her on the net.....if you have audacity, you can record what is coming out of the speakers and then export to wav or mp3.
i don't know if she has any official cd's out but she is sick on the guitar man...'hit up youtube and scope her out

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

I don't remember saying Slipknot were totally hardcore. Where ever did you come up with that assumption? Also, I never said I was a "hardcore" kinda guy. I simply stated that I like the Korn, Slipknot era far more than any of this Emo crap. Or any rap for that matter! My choice of music era would be the 90's. Get the facts straight! Peace!

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Tried uploading vidoes, got frusrated after I failed miserably... Still getting the black screen. In need of assistance! HELP!

[edit on 4-12-2007 by MadSeason313]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I'll repost the videos, after you let me know how to do it.. With great details

I don't know what i'm doing wrong!

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I will agree with you that Korn and Slipknot and the rest of the Nu-Metal is better than the emo trend, it's still not my cup of tea but yeah, better than emo.

Like I have said over and over, I really feel Marilyn Manson cares more about his image than his music. The debate will never end because we are just going to continue to disagree on the matter because it IS all based on opinion.

You should see all the local metal bands here in the Minnesota metal scene. All their music sounds the same, they all look alike because they are all sticking to this image that has been deemed acceptable for metal heads. They all care more about that image than their music and the second someone different comes around they all snub that new person.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by snowflake_obsidian

Minnesota Metal scene huh?
About 5 years ago I was satying at my aunt house. Not knowing who their house mates were, American Head Charge bought me Arbys!

I'm from Minnesota too mate, Lots of snow lately!

Yeah, the twin cities bands all do have that same sound. But American HeadCharge sticks out to me. NOt sure if it's just because the they bought be Arbys, but I like them alot.

[edit on 4-12-2007 by MadSeason313]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Isn't it funny how someone who complains about "today's music" being bubble-gum thinks of Slipknot as being "real hard-core"? It just shows how as generations pass, each new one gets more and more bubbly. Slipknot is definitely bubble-gum popular music, but just of an older generation (by a year or two maybe).

Kids these days

Ahh I was thinking the same thing, haha. As time passes, the music becomes more about image than talent, but I think that point has been beaten to death.

And that Buckethead guy was .. interesting, haha.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Paresthesia

buckethead is amazing....his technique is superb.
his phrases are unique.
i dig his whole deal....the guy is a monster on guitar.

plus he is like 6 foot 6 in real life so with his bucket on he stands at more than 7 feet.
travels solo with a drum machine and just rocks out.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Does anyone here actually play any instruments?

I play both Electric and Acoustic guitat..

A takamini

And A Fender Strat..

I borrowed the acoustic, but the electric is mine. I'm not very good at it, but I can make a few things sound decent to my ears.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MadSeason313

i play guitar....
i have a samick electric, a teisco semi hollow body and my son has my ibanez. we switched for a bit.
i study music theory but it is a slow process.

why do you ask? just curious is all.
------------

i am a firm believer(now) that if you can learn even a little bit about music and it's structure, your tastes will change ,, and/or you will start to hear the music differently. i know i did.
music i never gave a damn about before cought my ear after i started to play and study.

i have a piano in my basement but i don't hit the keys...i just play my fiddle(guitar.....i call it my fiddle sometime)....

i am probably going to move from the strings to a keyboard here real soon.
my back hurts so bad and i just can not get a comfy spot with the guitar for more than like 20 minutes at a time.

these days i think i study more than i play.....
my son takes music in school and so does my little bro. so, i help them a little bit.
i actually have my little bro's brand new keyboard in my room right now...he is getting it for x-mas.
by my birthday in march, i will probably be on the keys 90% of the time.

it will be much more comfy and i can import/export midi's.
-----------

edit*
i am not fantastic on guitar but i am decent enough....
i just don't have the time...well, i have the time but my back starts to hurt like a mo so i have to stop.

i forgot, i have a what appears to be a home built electric that my in laws got me at a garage sale for $5.
i am redoing it now.....sanding it down to the wood, and gonna put my own scheme to it...there is a dude in the mall that airbrushes stuff and he said if i bring it in ready to paint, he'll paint it for me...

that one though i will probably hand on the wall.

i have been wanting to get a banjo and a sitar to hang on the wall.
i like instruments and i think they make cool art....

my doc is from india and she said her mom used to play sitar and she would have to take it to new york to get the damn thing tuned.
she said her mom has not touched it in years so every time i go in i try to bring it up....

i want that dude bad...

sitar is probably my favorite instrument....

[edit on 4-12-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

I don't know, just thought since we were talking about music, if anyone played any instruments. Yeah, my perspective changed on music when I first got my guitar. I listened for riffs, studied solo's, and chimes. : \
But it's not just the guitar, it's all of the instruments. The bass lines with the drumming, chelos, everything. It's all ery interesting to me.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MadSeason313

Yeah, we had a huge snow storm!

I never really got into American Head Charge but I see where you are coming from.

All the old school style bands get snubbed in the local scene as well (unless they are a cover band).

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I don't know if you like Velvet Revolver or Alice in Chains, but I caught one of their shows in September. Excel I belive. It was awsome. Alice practically shook the house. Velvet did a few Gnr, Stp, and Floyd tunes. It was awsome.

Rob ZOmbie was around there about a month ago, missed the show. By the way it sounds, your not really into that kind of music. But I sure as hell would have loved to be there.

Yeah the snow is here to stay. Had another 16 inches yesterday.. :\

Good stuff, except when I pull my back shoveling, then my hate for the winter grows with everyones holiday cheer. Pfft, santa!:shk:

[edit on 5-12-2007 by MadSeason313]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadSeason313
Does anyone here actually play any instruments?

I play both Electric and Acoustic guitat..

A takamini

And A Fender Strat..

I borrowed the acoustic, but the electric is mine. I'm not very good at it, but I can make a few things sound decent to my ears.

I started piano when I was 5, violin when I was 8 and guitar at 13. I've been playing violin actively for 6 years now. As for guitar, I gave up on electric guitar. It's just too hard and time consuming to practice!! Acoustic comes naturally for me though, but I play it for leisure unlike violin where I'm actually in orchestra and compete.

I started out listening to classical music and that was all I listened to for the first 12 or so years of my life. It set a foundation and standard for the music I listen to.

Being a musician (and playing an instrument doesn't mean you're a musician) changes the way one hears music, obviously. It brings your music taste from just listening to what's "catchy" to listening what actually has musical merit.

It's important for everyone to have an appreciation for music, in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Disregard this post... I re-read it and realized I would have come off the wrong way!

Disregard..
Disregard..
Disregard!!!!

[edit on 6-12-2007 by MadSeason313]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paresthesia

Being a musician (and playing an instrument doesn't mean you're a musician) changes the way one hears music, obviously. It brings your music taste from just listening to what's "catchy" to listening what actually has musical merit.

It's important for everyone to have an appreciation for music, in my opinion.

i disagree what you say about playing an instrument don't mean you're a musician...

by definition, someone 'skilled' in music, is a musician.....

not to split hairs, but that is my opinion...

i agree 100% when you say you start to listen to things that have musical merit...your whole perception of the song changes....the more you learn about music and the theory behind it, the more 'colors' you can see.

thats how i explain it....i don't know what the right word is...when i listen to something like peaches en regalia for example, i 'see' certain colors....when i listen to a white stripes note, i 'see' other colors....
textures and such....
i really can't explain it...

i think it it rad that you play violin....
next to viola, i gather it is one of the harder instruments to learn...

are you a fan of hilary hahn?
sugarcane harris?
jean luc ponty?

hilary hahn is teh(purpose) hot stuff on violin

edit*
i am not into the shred stuff but check this out....you have probably seen it but it is awesome....
this is jason becker(pre als diog of course) playing paganini's 5th on his strat.

www.youtube.com...

have to recognize the skills

[edit on 6-12-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

Originally posted by Paresthesia

That's what I had said, but I decided not to. Felt I was coming off too hard.

i am not into the shred stuff but check this out....you have probably seen it but it is awesome....
this is jason becker(pre als diog of course) playing paganini's 5th on his strat.

www.youtube.com...

have to recognize the skills

Watched the video.. Uh... I don't know. It was... It was something.

[edit on 6-12-2007 by Boondock78]
:w:

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I dabble in playing bass, still in the learning process.
Also I like to sing and write song lyrics. My fiance is a musician and so is his brother so a lot of times all the things I try to do musically are washed over by theirs.

And if you think my opinions are brash you should hear my fiance's. I call him the music nazi.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I've played guitar for about 3 years now. I didn't really make any progress until about a year ago, when I had nothing to do. So I play it regularly, and also write lyrics. I've recorded a few snipets, but never really let anyone hear them. I'm not bashful, there just seem to be no reason for it. It's just a hobby, something to keep me from going insane. But even it being a hobby, I can consider myself a musician. I've put enough hard time into it, and have created things that i've found to be enjoyable for myself.

I don't think having to play it for years, and actually competing for anything can take that away from me. I consider myself a musician to an extend, period.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join