It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bubble gum music.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I know i'm not the only one who despises today's music. You have the hip-hop that lost their way, and only sing of "chain", hos", and hundreds. Which never really seems to have a deep message like the old Tupac days.
Then you have the poppy emo music, each lyric is the same. It just looks stupid how you look for the tightest clothes, and slide your hair to the right.
Country, I won't touch it.

Hard Rock, should get back in the game. You never really anything from the good bands anymore. It seems the Tool, Korn, slipknot trend is being replaced by said music up top.
This is why i've resorted to the 70's 80's and 90's. Back when music was good.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadSeason313
I know i'm not the only one who despises today's music. You have the hip-hop that lost their way, and only sing of "chain", hos", and hundreds.

If you look, and avoid MTV and BET you'll find plenty of good hip-hop. Dead Prez, Black Star, Murrs. There's good stuff out there that doesn't talk about gold chains and crap like that.

Then you have the poppy emo music, each lyric is the same. It just looks stupid how you look for the tightest clothes, and slide your hair to the right.

I can't say for sure that I know exactly what emo music is. I do know that those little kids who dress in girls jeans and slick their blackened bangs to the side do annoy me.

Country, I won't touch it.

There's some good country out there if you look for it. One of my new discoveries is the Corb Lund band. They're fun to listen to and not the standard new fangled country music.

Hard Rock, should get back in the game. You never really anything from the good bands anymore. It seems the Tool, Korn, slipknot trend is being replaced by said music up top.

That's really funny because I always thought that Korn and Slipknot were mainstream corny attempts at hardcore. I listened to a lot of underground hard core and by comparison Korn and Slipknot were extremely bubble-gum. I never really got into them. I have to admit though that I enjoyed Tool.

This is why i've resorted to the 70's 80's and 90's. Back when music was good.

I gotta agree with you there.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

That's really funny because I always thought that Korn and Slipknot were mainstream corny attempts at hardcore.

cause thats exactly what they are/were..
i feel bad for this generation cause they grow up listening to this garbage...turn on vh1 and you'll see bootay shaking or you will see maron 5.

the good ole days of rock are gone i think....shoulda got it when it was hot.
i have so much music archived that if i never get another new song i will be ok....
i am always on the lookout though...

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The hip hop on the radio is disgusting, here is a lyric from 50 cents "I Get Money"

"Have a baby by me, baby be a millionaire. I write a check before the baby comes who the # cares"

Yeah these are great ethics for our children to hear right?

However like rasobasi said, there are good hip hop acts out there, unfortunatly they aren't the ones that are infiltrating our kids minds day after day. I will never forget the day my daughter came home from her fathers house singing the song "Candy Shop" by 50 Cent, I nearly had a heart attack.

Then of course there's radio emo making it cool to have depression.

I definatly would call Korn and Slipknot bubblegum metal. Also I can only handle Tool in small doses and I have noticed that Maynard James Keenan does recycle his lines into other Tool songs. I love "Sober" and "Stink Fist" but I can't stand the song "Jambi". I used to like "Aenima" but it is pretty whiny in my opinion and after a while I didn't like it much anymore.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I seriously believe there is a conspiracy perpetrated by Viacom and Clear Channel Communications (owner of BET, VH1, MTV, SpikeTV and various other media outlets) to keep their audience from thinking. If their audience is capable of thinking they would realize that what they were watching/listening to was dribble.

It's the dumbing down of America.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Ah don't get me started on the music today! I haven't turned on the radio in probably more than a year(I've obviously had to listen to the radio but it was against my will, honest)

70's 80's is where the good music is, heck even the 60's had some great tunes, but if I have to listen to one more "song" talking about ho's, spinning rims, bling, how my girlfriend is bad and now I cut myself........... I'll freaking explode.

Bring back real music, back when it was about the music, not about 15 minutes of fame, or making a quick buck.

The blue one is music today

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
there's loads of great music being made today.we have 2 great stations in australia that you can stream,sure there's lots more out there

www.fbiradio.com...

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
When this situation occurred in my youth. I slid into a style of more complex music called JAZZ.. I realize that it's not for everyone what with all the hormones flowing and making you half crazy with wanting evermore powerful stimulation.

But I have to concur that todays music has been cooped by the industry Moguls and is produced from a market place perspective rather than ART.

I almost never listen to anything that was produced after 1990. In fact if it aint the Blues; it just sounds like zippity do dah to me.

There was plenty of **** music produced in the early years but at least there was still a little artistic integrity.

[edit on 2-12-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
allow me to present some lyrics.
'tinsel town rebellion' from frank zappa's album of the same name.

---------
From Madam Wong's to Starwood
To the Whiskey on the Strip
You can hear the crashing, blasting strum
Of bands that come to be real hip
And get a record contract
From a talent scout some day
They'll sell their ass, their penis* and balls
They'll take the check 'n walk away

If they're lucky they'll get famous
For a week or two perhaps
They'll buy some ugly clothes to wear
And hope the business don't collapse
Before some stupid magazine
Decides they're really good

They're a Tinsel Town Rebellion Band
From downtown Hollywood

Tinsel Town Rebellion,
Tinsel Town Rebellion Band
It's a little bitty Tinsel Town Rebellion
A Tinsel Town Rebellion Band

They used to play all kinds of stuff
And some of it was nice
Some of it was musical
But then they took some guy's advice
To get a record deal, he said,
They would have to be more punk
Forget their chops and play real dumb

Or else they would be sunk
So off they go to S.I.R. to learn some stupid riffs
And practice all their poses
In between their powder sniffs

Chop a line now, snort it up now

And when they think they've got it
They launch a new career

Who gives a # if what they play
Is somewhat insincere

Tinsel Town Rebellion,
Tinsel Town Rebellion Band
A Tinsel Town Rebellion,
A Tinsel Town Rebellion Band
Did you know that in Tinsel Town the people down there
Think that substance is a bore
And if your New Wave group looks good
They'll hurry on back for more

Of leather groups and plastic groups
And groups that look real queer
The Tinsel Town aficionados
Come to see and not to hear
But then again this system works
As perfect as a dream
It works for all of those record company pricks
Who come to skim the cream

From the cesspools of excitement
Where Jim Morrison once stood
It's the Tinsel Town Rebellion
From downtown Hollywood

Is everybody happy?
Oh, never mind!
No problem
------------

the emphasis is of course mine....
frank once said that the only music you will hear on the radio or now, watch on tv will be stuff that is 'totally safe' and it makes perfect sense.

back in the day, lets start in 63...people started taking risks....doing things that were never done like going electric. frank would use his wah wah as a filter. lead lines in a rock song, played on violin...

my point is, back then, the music was new. it was fresh and the musicians tok a big risk. with lyrics, solo's, etc..

these days though, the record companies want totally safe music in 4/4 time with verse chorus verse format...
britney is popular, lets get another. now aguilara is popular, lets get another. now brook hogan, etc etc...

all the same. totally safe, 4/4 music by people like friggin fergie...
they don't write their own songs(for the most part). they don't play any instruments. they don't produce it. they don't arrange it. they sing their totally safe lyrics and shake their ass in their video.

'rock' music these days is the exact same....

the song i posted was released in 1981

*replaced a c word and added penis

[edit on 2-12-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I'm not comparing them to Death Metal or Emo. I'm comparing them to Candiria, As the Sun Sets, Drop Dead....

All local Hard Core. Korn was extremely poppy and doing it for the show, same with Slipknot (notice the silly clown masks.)

Very good for music videos, not so necessary for a musical group.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

That's really funny because I always thought that Korn and Slipknot were mainstream corny attempts at hardcore.

i feel bad for this generation cause they grow up listening to this garbage...turn on vh1 and you'll see bootay shaking or you will see maron 5.

i have so much music archived that if i never get another new song i will be ok....

I feel bad for myself too, lmao. Well, believe it or not, most people I know don't even listen to bands of this time period. I listen to a lot of 70's-90's music.
However, if you really look for it you can find a lot of current bands that are actually good and don't try to be something they're not. It just so happens that the mediocre bands are the most popular because they use things such as shock factor/taboos/controversy and such to draw fans (Marilyn Manson, Slipknot...) instead of actual talent or unique sound.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paresthesia

Marilyn Manson

i'd LOVE to punch this chump in the face. i just don't like him.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordInfamous

you talking to me[/travis bickle]

bwuahhaahahahahahahahhaBWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHbwuahahahahahahah

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Paresthesia

most of the stuff i listen to is from the 60's-70's or classical.
i do like some new stuff but you don't hear it on the radio.....stuff like dream theater, gary moore, tony mcalpine, etc....

i like long instrumentals with difficult runs and phrases.
i like a lot of technique and the perfect note.

i think the only modern band i listen to is the white stripes and i like them for their minimalist approach.
the exact opposite reasons why i listen to the stuff i mentioned.

frank zappas music is extremely difficult but pleasing to the ear.

i love chopin(just bought the collection...159 tunes)...
i like bach, beethoven, weburn, etc etc....

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   

you talking to me[/travis bickle]

bwuahhaahahahahahahahhaBWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHbwuahahahahahahah

*folds arms* what if i was...?

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   

*folds arms* what if i was...?

i already said...
bwuahahahahahahahBWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

i e-throw in the towel...i don't need a troll or anything so if you were talking about me, cool. i will laugh. if not, cool. i will laugh.

hows that....either way, you matter not.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

well for the record i wasn't. i was talking about manson.

it's ok guy. you're probably having delusions of reference or something. and i should matter not. you have WAY more junk to worry about.

p.s. and if a scenario were to ever happen like that (ie me talking to you that way) well...i wouldn't really have to say anything. upon you seeing me..you'd clutch you're back pocket to protect your wallet in fear i'd snatch it, forcing you to walk in a different direction.

later on guy

[edit on 2-12-2007 by LordInfamous]

[edit on 2-12-2007 by LordInfamous]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I can't stand Marilyn Manson either. It is my opinion that he is the way he is just to get a rise out of people. To me he is fake.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by snowflake_obsidian

It's just theater, disguised as rock and roll. Not very good theater and banal and insipid R&R.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join