It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Musharraf steps down as Pakistan army chief

page: 1/

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Musharraf steps down as Pakistan army chief

uk.news.yahoo.com

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan (Reuters) - General Pervez Musharraf finally quit as army chief on Wednesday, trading the post for a second five-year term as president and fulfilling a promise many Pakistanis doubted he would keep.

He passed the baton of command to his hand-picked successor, General Ashfaq Kayani, at a ceremony at army headquarters in Rawalpindi.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.reuters.com
www.cnn.com
www.foxnews.com

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
About time , he`s been pushing this too much to be honest ; but after bringing in `judges` who say the election was legitimate will still cast a cloud over him - lets see how the up coming elections will turn out.

Maybe there can be some stability now within teh country - but with ex-leaders returning , the `honey pot` is surely being stirred up.

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
The man is a dictator and he will eventually be taken out just like the way he did before establishing his rule as supreme leader.

But I am afraid that denying the right of the people to chose their leaders may bring a worst type of government next, even one that is all pro taliban with their hands to nuclear weapons.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
But I am afraid that denying the right of the people to chose their leaders may bring a worst type of government next, even one that is all pro taliban with their hands to nuclear weapons.

What if that's the plan? Terror warnings and even actual terror attacks seem not enough to marshal the people into accepting the government's plans. A nuke attack might.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The man is a dictator and he will eventually be taken out just like the way he did before establishing his rule as supreme leader.

Don't agree with you on much Marg but have to say that you seem to have figured the Pakistani way of things..

Its possible.. his successor Gen Kayani can easily oust Musharraf if he gets enough support in the Pak Army at the Corp Commander level.
God help us all then.

But most might say, 'Gen Kayani is handpicked by Musharraf. Mushy won't pick his own demise would he?'

Here's a little bit of Trivia to put that notion to rest:

The man Musharraf overthrew to take hold of Pakistan in 1999, Mr Nawaz Sharif, had 'hand picked' Musharraf too.
Hand picked to the extent that Mushy was selected over 3-4 generals senior to him.Nawaz Sharif superceded all these generals in line so that he could make mushy his Army Chief.. a chief that would go on to force Nawaz Sharif into exile.

God knows how many Generals were passed over to get Gen Kayani this position. And god knows if he will do the same to Mushy now.

Its like a twisting TV Soap I tell you, nobody knows what the next climax is going to be!

[edit on 28-11-2007 by Daedalus3]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus3

I agree, see while Pakistan gets the impression of some type of democracy for the consumption of the rest of the world and America.

They are nothing more than fundamentalist religious nation rule by force by their no so democratically chosen leaders.

Until the people have a real democratic system and no a make believe one the rulers will be taking each other off in their pursue of power.

Sad but that is how it looks to me also.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I think Musharaff has put his pawns in place to ensure he stays in!!

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Mushrraf is certainly a dictator but he's not an entirely foolish one - as a poster just commented he has just sacrificed a pawn to stay in the game.

And dictator or not, he is hardly the worst one could imagine leading Pakistan - as dictators go he is not particularly tyrannical. He is also a pragmatist and not an ideological fanatic.

I don't know how enthusiastic I am about democracy in Pakistan.
A Pakistani democracy might work out like democracy in Palestine did - handing the power to Islamist ideologues because the people's only alternative is to elect what are essentially a bunch of white-collar criminals.

And a nuclear-armed Pakistan run by Islamist extremists is not a happy prospect for anyone.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

Aye !! thats what bothers me a bit...better the devil you know sort of thing!!

As bad as this guy is in the couldron of his country...for some sort of stability in Pakistan ...for the world he is the safest option!!

Bit of a crap situation really !!lol

new topics

top topics

join