It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Norwegian black metal band cause uproar in Krakow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   
With 50 � 60 decapitated sheep heads on spears, blood and a naked, crucified girl, the Norwegian black metal band Gorgoroth held a concert on Polish national television. The Catholic Poland is in riot, and the police are investigating the scandal.

The concert of the black metal-band Gorgoroth is making headlined in the national polish media. The band is suspected of awaking a religious offence, which is punishable with up to two years in prison. In addition to this, the police are investigating the band for animal abuse.

- There where blood all over the scene. About 50 decapitated sheep heads and naked living human beings on huge crosses. Everyone was painted with 100 liters of sheep blood. In addition, there where satanic symbols everywhere. One of the crucified female models passed out, and they had to call an ambulance, says Andrzej Jeziorek.

Andrzej Jezikorek is the director of the studio the national channel TVP was airing the concert from

Feared riots

- The people working with the concert were frightened and shocked � I just had to call the police on the Norwegian musicians. Things like this should not be uttered on national television � and especially not in Krakow, the city of the Pope, says Andrzej Jeziorek.

Gorgoroth came on as the last of four foreign bands. Before the concert it was said that it was going to be special. The scene was rigged behind a curtain because the Norwegian bands act was supposed to be a secret.

- It most certainly was for all of us... I wanted to abort the concert, but I didn�t, because 300 tickets had been sold. We feared a riot from bloody fans in ecstasy, says Jeziorek.

Inspector Miroslawa Kalinowska-Zajdak at the Krakow Police confirms that the band has been reported and that an investigation is going on. The police have gotten hold of the decapitated sheep heads, as well as the concert footage.

- The footage with all the lyrics of the band is being analyzed in regard to possible satanic content. We have not yet taken the musicians into custody, but we will contact the Norwegian police after our analysis are finished, says inspector Miroslawa Kalinowska-Zajdak.

Local sheep blood

The concert was arranged by the polish company Metal Mind Productions, who wanted to release the concert on DVD

- Artists all use different forms of expression. I don�t see anything wrong with this. The sheep heads and the sheep blood was purchased at the local slaughter, the way the band wanted it, says director Tomasz Dziubinski in Metal Mind Production.

Sourse: VG (Verdens Gang. Norwegian Newspaper)
This is more or less a translation of a Norwegian article published on www.vg.no...
Original article (with picture): www.vg.no...

[Edited on 4-2-2004 by AntiSystem]

[Edited on 4-2-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I don't know how you feel about articles translated by members. At least I let you know. I guess you can just delete it if it's against the rules.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   
it's just a gimmick. lol, no thats just going too far.

the only way they will get away with it (possibly) would be for the people(the crucified ones) to prove that they wanted it to happen, and that the sheep heads and blood was indeed purchased from a slaughter house.

other than that i see no problem with it aslong as it wasnt televised to people who didnt want to see it and to children.

it's not the kind of thing i'd enjoy, but worse has been done in the name of art & interpretation.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Indeed. I agree.

Themodels where not crusified againt their will and the farm animal stuff was legaly purchased. It might have offended a lot of people, but it was just for show. I know that a lot of the Norwegian black metal bands took their anti christian meanings quite serious in the earlier years of black metal, but now days it's only image. The frontman og Gorgoroth, Ghaal was actually in prison for torturing a guy with a fork a while back. He was released about a year ago.

I met him at a Mayhem concert in Bergen a few months ago, and I witnessed him biting a guy in the neck, hehe... sick #. At that concert, the band Mayhem also used decapitated farm animals... they had ox heads hanging from the roof in barbwire, and a guy from the audience was actually hit in the head by a sheep head. It happend when the frontman accidently flung it of the scene when he was cutting in it with a knife.

I saw Gorgoroth in bergen a few months ago also, and im seeing them at the inferno festival in Oslo again in April. Hope they don't get arrested, hehe.

As long as they keep making good music, don't hurt anyone and don't take the anti chrisitan stuff longer than an image, I dont see why they can't raise hell on stage, hehe.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 03:53 AM
link   
yeah i mean, i like METAL \m/ but some bands take it just a bit too far (which can bring their music down because of their reputation) .

i am all for gimmicks, but decapitating animals on stage ,were they alive or dead ??

i mean yeah if theyre already dead that ok in my eyes but fi theyre alive that's wrong.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 04:09 AM
link   
They where dead of course. I really dont like seeing dead animals being treated that way either, but I go to the concerts to see the band. I would never have attended the concert if they killed animals for show.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I agree.......anyone who did not want to be there could have left, and Im sure the fans of the band had quite a good time.

The only thing that freaks me out though, is the thought of somebody being splattered with dead animal blood against their will. Whats more, is the potential for disease, regardless of their consent.

I see possible law suits. I mean, Ive been to a GWAR show before, and gotten sprayed with blood. All fake though. GWAR isnt black metal, but thier show is similar. The only differenc is that it is totally and obviously fake. (barbarians from outer space chopping peoples heads off)....

Ok, Ill stop before I begin to sound like Im plugging GWAR or something........heh.

But anyways Real blood = Bad thing waiting to happen. Thats my point........

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AntiSystem
- The footage with all the lyrics of the band is being analyzed in regard to possible satanic content.

" possible satanic content " ? Those guys have a terrible sense of humor. Just go on Google and type " Norwegian black metal band Gorgoroth " and you'll see it doesn't take a genius to understand the band IS satanic.

Look at this poor clown :

[Edited on 4-2-2004 by ultra_phoenix]

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Yes. You are right Ultra_Phoenix. I was going to comment on that myself, but forgot. I know for a fact that their lyrics have satanic content.

That�s Ghaal on the picture by the way. It's understandable that people find them funny and looks upon them as clowns, hehe. I personally respect them as musicians and artists. The corpse paint and all that stuff is all a part of the black metal performance.

They might look evil or scary (or stupid for some people, hehe) on stage, but the black metal musicians I have met personally (including Ghaal of Gorgoroth) are really great guys. Most of them have good amounts of self-irony also, hehe. Black Metal is something special.

The only thing that freaks me out though, is the thought of somebody being splattered with dead animal blood against their will. Whats more, is the potential for disease, regardless of their consent

Yes, but I don't think that ever happens. I have never witnessed or heard about a concert where the audience gets in contact with the blood (except for the occasional flying heads, hehe). They only use it on-stage.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Thats 1 thing you wont see at a Shakira concert. lol.

Man these guys sound bad ass!

of course I would've used a spork to torture someone...

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I just love the way that amateur satanists think it is all a joke and it is used just to further their ambitions. The last laugh will be on them.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
I just love the way that amateur satanists think it is all a joke and it is used just to further their ambitions. The last laugh will be on them.

Yes. You might be right. I personally think they should be more careful with what they play around with. Satanism is no joke. I don't care about what they believe in or flirt with though, as long as they make black #ing metal and don't hurt other people. Like you say... the last laugh might be on them

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Alright well I found some pics of that Concert including the crucified women.

miasta.gazeta.pl...

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
AntiSystem, so you met him ? Are you looking like one of these guys ?

You know, when I wote " poor clown ", I was sarcastic. I don't find these bands and so-called " artists " funny but dangerous. Anyway, nowdays, allmost everyone can be an " artist ".

Botticelli was an artist. Rembrandt was an artist. Elvis was an artist. Pavarotti is an artist. But these guys aren't artists. They are....??? Well, I can't tell you what they are, but I can tell you what they aren't.

AF1

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I wonder how much controversy this would have caused had it been during halftime of the super bowl.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This is nothing. Have any of you heard of Slipknot? They are known to throw feces at people from the stage. They are psycho! They also aimed a large fan at the crowd and threw a live pig into it... kind of deranged. Much moreso than these so-called satanists. They're quite screwed up. There was a write up in some Heavy Metal magazine a couple of years ago that had biographies on all of the members (9 of them). One of them used to sleep in graveyards for fun. Another drank his own urine "to see what it tasted like". One of the drummers (there are two), the clown guy, did a stage dive off of a 30 foot tall scaffold and landed on a teenage girl and almost broke her neck. They have no disregard for people's safety, or their own. He also lit himself on fire (another band mate did as well) for half of a song. Some bands enjoy taking things to extremes... it gets them recognition and publicity.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix
AntiSystem, so you met him ? Are you looking like one of these guys ?

Eh, I don't see how this is relevant, but no. I don't look anything like the people on that picture, hehe. Actually.. there are pictures of me on the members forum on belowtopsecret, hehe.

But that guy you can't see the face of there, he is actually wearing the same Darkthrone shirt I am wearing on my ats avatar, hehe.

Botticelli was an artist. Rembrandt was an artist. Elvis was an artist. Pavarotti is an artist. But these guys aren't artists. They are....??? Well, I can't tell you what they are, but I can tell you what they aren't.

I fail to understand how you can tell me what these people aren't, without knowing the genre, their music, their lyrics (I don't like Gorgoroth's lyrics myself) or having seen them perform. Why was Elvis an artist if the musicians of Gorgoroth arn't ? Well.. you are entitled to your opinion, of course. I am personally not a huge fan of Gorgoroth, they are not my favourite black metal band and I don't have nearly enough knowledge of them to explain how they are true black metal artists. But, well...Music is an artform, black metal is music, ergo.. black metal musicians are artists. There are of course different degrees of art...

Real Black Metal is most defiantly art. Fenriz of Darkthrone and Varg of Burzum are two examples. Both are great musicians and true artists of our time. Real Black Metal is in many ways beautifully composed music. It is a special art. The music of Burzum for example... I shall quote anus.com on this, because I really liked their description of the music... I could never have explained it better myself and I don't want to try either, hehe...

The first black metal band to exceed the mold of the genre by a wide margin and through sheer musical creativity to inspire interest from those outside of the genre, Burzum bridged the world of minimalist black metal with that of neoclassical Odinist acts. Hypnotic and primitive pieces in architectures of high abstraction produces an undeniably different experience from most music.

It's more than destroying instruments and screaming "aaargh"

But well... I really don't think a whole lot of people here care anyway. No point in explaining myself or black metal. The best would be for you to hear some black metal... people rearly like it or understand whats so great about it the first time they hear it, but you might see what im talking about if you actually listen. There is more to it than just the music though.. I also think Album art, lyrics and the sound is important

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
My friend got pelted with a bloody cow's liver at a GWAR concert!
There was blood everywhere!
They were having people drop into a huge meat grinder, and this bloddy meat was coming out!
They guillotined someone.

There was blood everywhere!!

top topics

join