It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covert ops units

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Having watched 24 Season 2 and played Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, the idea of highly specialized covert ops units run by the N.S.A. and the government itself is a really intersting concept.

Is any of it reality? I mean, does the government have highly specialized covert ops units, break-the-law forces, and elite anti-terrorist forces?

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I know the CIA has their own elite paramilitary group who used to (and probably still do) carry out assassinations. I don't remember what the group is called.

Edit- I just did a quick search on the internet. The name of the group is the special activities staff.

"The Special Activities Staff (SAS) is one of the least known covert units operating on behalf of the US Government. Operating in teams as large as 12, or as small as one, the SAS is considered to be among the world's top special operations units. SAS personnel have been described as being particularly skilled in counterterrorist/hostage rescue operations, and are said to capable of "taking down" any type of vehicle, aircraft, ship, building, or facility."

www.specialoperations.com...

[Edited on 4-2-2004 by gooking]

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Yeah, I know about the SAS.

What I was looking for was information on groups used independently by the U.S. government, N.S.A., units that are on the black-budget payroll or hidden in certain payrolls. Units used by the government for specific purposes, etc.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Spetnaz, for the Russians...
Mi5 and Mi6 might do, though I cant confirm, I personally doubt this but you never know

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
All I can say is hell yeah these groups exist!! My wife and I love 24 and ALias!!

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by dreamrebel]

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Having watched 24 Season 2 and played Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, the idea of highly specialized covert ops units run by the N.S.A. and the government itself is a really intersting concept.

Is any of it reality? I mean, does the government have highly specialized covert ops units, break-the-law forces, and elite anti-terrorist forces?

Yes. Yes. And yes. It's a necessary evil. Then there are the freelancers. There are too many of them. And some are just plain terrorists.

"24" is closer to reality than most people can imagine. "Threat Matrix," conversely, is a shallow, pathetic attempt to be 24-like. It's completely ridiculous in its cowboy, hooah hooah image. "24" rocks, tho. Ah, to be Jack Bower.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 01:28 AM
link   
isn't the SAS the British Special Air Service? Or are they out of service?

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
The British SAS is going strong, but over here they are refered to as "sandrats". Don't ask why. The CIA's SAS is a completely differen't organization.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 04:06 AM
link   
The SAS normally stands for Special Air Service, an elite, still-denied organization of the British Armed Forces... Currently under-numbered (Not enough people can pass the Selection), it is the most important element of the current Gulf War, along with the SBS

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
we have to develop the same SAS stailer to tackle in all hacking prob in the future whose know from now on the ATS or ATSNNwill become the world famous server where ever around this planets or even to the moon base or to the martian greenhouse complexs.
seem like too ANYWHERE,ANYTIME,we are ready to capture the secret news or sending the news to the people which is hunger to see what is the thing UNDER THE IRON CURTAIN

p/s secretly all the ATSNN reportoire is heavyly guarded by this SPECIAL CYBER RIDER FORCE

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Ooh ooh sign me up, that sounds fun... oh wait on second thought that sounds freaking mental, good try though.

top topics

join