It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walking battletanks?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I was reading a totally scientific magazine (Maxim), that within 20 years, a human would have the protection of a tank (advanced Kevlar) with a hand held weapon (handgun) that could take out artillary. If the walking tank is a human then this is actually possible.

Was that the issue with Eliza Dushku??

I am sure it will be possible to make walking battle tanks sometime in the future. For what purpose, I don't know. As stated, the AT-AT's had a hard time on Endor, so the practicality of maneouvering a walking battle tank in Wisconsin in insane.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
OK first of all. I think that in the future they will make combat suits sorta like the elementals. Second if they decide to make a mechtank I think that they would consider the fact that they would have to armour the thing to withstand small arms fire and missles energy weapons etc. If you played mechwarror you know that there are a few types of armor. FF good against guass guns autocanonns and reflective which is good agaisnt energy weapons.So dont worry they tech guys will come up with something that will withstand a lot of blows. Oh yea like the panzers of WW2 the tiger tank I think was the most well armoured it would take about 2-3 shots from a bazooka and 4 shots from a piat ( personal infantry anti tank ) a english weapons basiclly a high yield grenade propelled by a spring mechanizim

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The Tiger also withstood artillary fire. For it's time a superior machine.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
You don�t understand, it�s their high mobility that makes them superior, with the legs and jump jets they can get over any obstacle. Also their just cool.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
mobility is determined by diemesions wieght and its axis of movements. Second jumpjets with todays tech would not be an option because they just have the thrust.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
in the game i think your in the year 3000 or something so im not talking about today.

ps anyone know how to edit your user name
[Edited on 4-2-2004 by crushkilldestory]

[Edited on 4-2-2004 by crushkilldestory]

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
They are a real possibility. These things are more along the line of walking battle platforms. I see them heading in two different directions...

1.) Small light and agile, possibly only two weapons, similar to goliaths on Starcraft only much more agile and faster, light armor reconnaisance vehicle. With a single pilot it is better used as a backup unit or powered armor unit.

2.) Heavy battle platforms capable of withstanding heavy fire and taking out ground and air targets used more to support troops, probably has four or more legs resembling an insect.

A tank can only cover level ground where mechs would be capable of covering mountains. Their armor systems would stop most ballistics flung at them. Mechs and tanks both have their strengths and weaknesses and neither of them can really go into a commando mode, both of them need some sort of infantry support.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
If anything i think they go along the lines of the goliaths in starcraft or the ones used in the third matrix movie during the final battle with the robots... i doubt they would be the monsters of mechwarrior too much energy needed to sustain and too easy to bring down but a small to mid sized version IMO is perfectly feasable

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
im sure alot of people have seen this before.

darpa

check out the Defense Sciences Office (DSO) Programs

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
All you're going to ned int he future in a man, in a robotic suit (armour covered), It will be able to run faster than any man can, very very flexible, It will have computer enhanced visualisations near the headpiece that man looks out with such things such a zoom functions, ON both arms of the robotic structure, all he needs is one arm to have a very damaging laser, and the other arm to have some explosive device attached to it such as a little guided rocket. The explosive damage from that small rocket will be enough to blow up a tank.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
The Emperor's Sardukar! I remember them. Right bastards.

And as for Dreadnought and my homeboys from the Adeptus Astartes, we're well aquainted. I'm jsut thinking of somethign slightly bigger than a Dreadnought.

Dark angels, if you're curious.

DE

Hunt the Fallen! For the Lion! For the Emperor!

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I don't see 40k Dreadnoughts as infeasible, once you get past the whole having to be nearly dead thing... just a goodly bit of armor and some big guns. They'd have a relatively low profile (not much taller than an Abram's turret), and would be considerably more mobile than wheeled vehicles, with a potentially greater speed than tracked platforms.

Big stuff like the Goliath and MechWarrior platforms are probably a good way off... legs are terribly inefficient things.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Would you like to know more ?

Can geneticly tweaked 3m tall psycho's be far behind?

Praise him that resides in the golden throne!

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Ah, yes... Eternal Glory to the Most Beneficient Emperor of Mankind!

I think we'll see Halo-style power armor (i.e. very limited numbers but greatly enhanced physical strength and suchlike) before Space Marine power armor (fully integrated systems replete with biological overhauls and integrated weapon systems), and this MIT article seems to support that.

It's not far off, boys. Time to stock up on EMP grenades.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
despite how much they would actually suck in terms of being used, cost, and everything else really i still think they would be cool as hell

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica

Originally posted by DeusEx
However, they do have the potential to carry more firepower

At the cost of speed, armor, and maneuverability. Plus their inherent flaws.

and have (slightly) more manuverability, in that they can ford places and things.

Unless you're fighting in the world of adamantium stairs, that maneuverabiltiy isn't going to help you much

you must hate bipedal mechanics

Dude first off, shure they are pricey but they are almost flawless! They can squish ppl, even tanks themselves!

I mean look at it the foot itself is the size of a midsize sedan.

And they can carry alot more ammo, armor, and can sustain heavy fire from infantry and other tanks and even aircraft.

They will be about 50 feet tall, and will carry virtually anytype of weapon in existent, maybe even nukes if you modify one and turn it into a 100 foot beast.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrJingles
They are a real possibility. These things are more along the line of walking battle platforms. I see them heading in two different directions...

1.) Small light and agile, possibly only two weapons, similar to goliaths on Starcraft only much more agile and faster, light armor reconnaisance vehicle. With a single pilot it is better used as a backup unit or powered armor unit.

2.) Heavy battle platforms capable of withstanding heavy fire and taking out ground and air targets used more to support troops, probably has four or more legs resembling an insect.

A tank can only cover level ground where mechs would be capable of covering mountains. Their armor systems would stop most ballistics flung at them. Mechs and tanks both have their strengths and weaknesses and neither of them can really go into a commando mode, both of them need some sort of infantry support.

if your on the ground, how can you stop something going ballistically at you?
I thought ballistic meant going up at a 90 degree angle.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   
walking battle tanks?

you mean something like this?

SAY 'ELLO TO MY L'IL FRIEND!

[Edited on 2-19-2004 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
yeah, that's exactly what we were all talking about.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
The overall response here seems to be that walking battletanks are far too costly, inconvenient, and unsafe, therefore they are useless.

Let's see... is there not a single redeeming quality?

Yes, they look cool in video games.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join