It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walking battletanks?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I'd like to create a real deep discussion on this. Having played MechWarrior, read BattleTech, and read about Metal Gear Solid, I can't help but think about the implications of walking battletanks. But to be logical and constructive about it, here are my questions:

-What would make them special?
-What advantages would they have over other similar platforms, such as an M1A1 Abrams?
-Are they necessary? Why would you want them?
-What disadvantages? Is there a physics and mechanics issue involved?
-Cost?

Fire away!

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
-What would make them special?

Nothing.

-What advantages would they have over other similar platforms, such as an M1A1 Abrams?

None.

-Are they necessary? Why would you want them?

Only if you want to die.

-What disadvantages? Is there a physics and mechanics issue involved?

Up the Wazzoo. Where to begin.
1)Drive System- much more complicated than a tanks. Complicated=BAD.
2) Weight- Sicne it's ground pressure will be higher to to smalelr contact area, you either armor it less (death) or make it so heavy it can hardly walk.
3) Size- Large target profile compared to a tank.

-Cost?

Drive system will be much mroe expensive than a tanks.

Basically, anything a mech can do, tanks can do better.

[Edited on 3-2-2004 by Esoterica]

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
However, they do ahve the potential to carry more firepower and have (slightly) more manuverability, in that they can ford places and things. That's all i can think fo right now...

Damn. I likes me the mechwarrior.

DE

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Im thinking a full army of these a couple hundred years from now at the most.

Sort of like Gundum Wing!

Deep

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
However, they do have the potential to carry more firepower

At the cost of speed, armor, and maneuverability. Plus their inherent flaws.

and have (slightly) more manuverability, in that they can ford places and things.

Unless you're fighting in the world of adamantium stairs, that maneuverabiltiy isn't going to help you much

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I agree with Esoterica...

It would simply be too easy to destroy - it would be so much bigger and more vulnerable then a tank that it will never be in use.

Leave these things to science fiction.....

However, the US and I would imagine other countries are working on prototypes for suites to be worn by soldiers that would allow them to carry much greater ammounts of gear, move faster by "bounding" a few yards at a time rather then running, ect ect.

So basically forget about huge powered robots, and think more along the lines of G.I.'s

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
The overall response here seems to be that walking battletanks are far too costly, inconvenient, and unsafe, therefore they are useless.

Let's see... is there not a single redeeming quality?

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica

Originally posted by DeusEx
However, they do have the potential to carry more firepower

At the cost of speed, armor, and maneuverability. Plus their inherent flaws.

and have (slightly) more manuverability, in that they can ford places and things.

Unless you're fighting in the world of adamantium stairs, that maneuverabiltiy isn't going to help you much

I was thinking mroe along the lines of rivers and such. It's unlikely that I'll be driving my precious Nova Cat in ym lifetime, but don't rule it out for the future.

DE

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
The overall response here seems to be that walking battletanks are far too costly, inconvenient, and unsafe, therefore they are useless.

Let's see... is there not a single redeeming quality?

The whole problem is that you can throw a tank at them. They aren't necessarily a bad idea, until you throw them against what they'll be fighting.

If technolgoy got to the point where weight and complicated-ness are not major factors, then they might be plausible combat machines. But as it stands, not really.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Wow, now I think walking battletanks are a huge waste!

What about for defense? I figure they'd be a waste of money, but could they have defensive value? Offensively, I think you all have proven it's a ridiculous idea.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Hey... they can shine there! Think about a walking strongpoint, like a Dire Wolf!

Or, for you Inner Sphere scum, Daishi's.

Don't ahve to move fast, jsut be heavily armed and armored.

DE

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
sorry - I dont want to kill your dreams, but no - it might even be worse in a defense role because it can't be "trenched in." how would the mech defend it's self while trying to protect a given area....

also - if you look at combat trendes, a main focus is to give everythin ground based a low profile, so as to give the smallest surface area to hit. A mech would do just the opposite - make a large frontal area that could be shot at.

another weakness - legs. The legs are a huge weakness - what would happen if one were destroyed? the mech would fall to the ground, destroying both the Mech and anything it lands on like friendly soldiers. What would happen if the leg was damaged? The mech would be a sitting duck, and repairs most likely could not be made on the battlefield by the crews. Tanks on the other hand have tracks, and though difficult, they can be repaired by the crew in combat.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The only real advantage would be if the battle took place of rough terrain (mountains) where the obvious advantages of stable walking would outweightracked vehicles... but the tech would have to be really advanced for this to be accomplished

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Damn, now I feel ripped off from playing MechWarrior.

Great discussion. We might actually impress the Senate Armed Services Commitee!

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
*sigh* I blame IS technology. I too feel a little ripped off, but I have faith that one day, mechs will be a perfectly valid armored vehicle.

That, and the Children of Kerensky will crush everythign in their path.

DE

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I have never played the game talking about but my vision of a Walking Battle Tank is the 1 we allsaw in Star Wars u know the 1 with 4 legs.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Look at the BOOK "Starship Troopers" or the Space Marine from Warhammer 40K or the Sedukar from Dune.

All that stuff is right around the corner.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The Emperor's Sardukar! I remember them. Right bastards.

And as for Dreadnought and my homeboys from the Adeptus Astartes, we're well aquainted. I'm jsut thinking of somethign slightly bigger than a Dreadnought.

Dark angels, if you're curious.

DE

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I have to agree with Esoterica, they would be suicide for all the reasons he listed. They kinda remind me of the walkers on star wars.........a death trap at best

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I was reading a totally scientific magazine (Maxim), that within 20 years, a human would have the protection of a tank (advanced Kevlar) with a hand held weapon (handgun) that could take out artillary. If the walking tank is a human then this is actually possible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join