It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mankind poses threat to the Universe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Mankind poses threat to the Universe?

www.telegraph.co.u k

Forget about the threat that mankind poses to the Earth: our activities may be shortening the life of the universe too.

The startling claim is made by a pair of American cosmologists investigating the consequences for the cosmos of quantum theory, the most successful theory we have. Over the past few years, cosmologists have taken this powerful theory of what happens at the level of subatomic particles and tried to extend it to understand the universe, since it began in the subatomic realm during the Big Bang.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
This is the best part: "But the bad is that quantum theory says that whenever we observe or measure something, we could stop it decaying due what is what is called the "quantum Zeno effect," which suggests that if an "observer" makes repeated, quick observations of a microscopic object undergoing change, the object can stop changing". So we may be messing the cosmos up by observing it? Wow, so when do the alien fleets arrive to save the universe from the humans?

www.telegraph.co.u k
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Hahaha, this is hilarious! Good find Mike!!!

I definitely can see the human race posing a threat to other alien races. However, I think it would be more likely when we can actually travel efficiently to other inhabited planets.

We would definitely be one of those "warlike" races that attacked everyone we came upon if we thought we could win and take the planet over.

Not to mention the fact that most humans would likely view aliens as "monsters".

Jasn

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Ok so we are destroying our universe as well as the planet. Although I don't really think that matters to much as our galaxy is going to be colliding with Andromeda and everything in both galaxies will be destroyed any way.

sorce link

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Oh wow. I can just see a new Hitchhikers Guide book coming out...

the rules of space travel are as follows.

DO NOT LOOK WHERE YOU ARE GOING... it might not be there when you arrive.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
this is absolutely preposterous,who are these cosmologists!??

the act of observation is a receptive process,it involves no transmission of electomagnetism or sub/atomic particles.

there is no difference from the universe acting upon a hydrogen cloud than the universe acting upon an observer.an observer consists and acts the same as matter.

they are simply lost in the concept of observer.

they are recycling old theories relating to phenomenalism
en.wikipedia.org...

the truth is were are still learning the cosmological truths, they and many of their kind dont know how the universe works and they are speculating with nothing more than wild theories to rescue face and professional pride!.

give me their jobs,ile do it for free!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
... I remember reading in one of the Project Camelot interview transcripts, 'tears' in spacetime have happened from 'stargate' experiments, this reminds of something of that nature -- yet, seemingly more philosophical -- humanity has the 'choice' to continue on its path while harming the universe at large? Dark ages.

[edit on 22-11-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
Ok so we are destroying our universe as well as the planet. Although I don't really think that matters to much as our galaxy is going to be colliding with Andromeda and everything in both galaxies will be destroyed any way.

sorce link

Taken from your link,

"Mergers and interactions between galaxies are an essential part of their dynamical evolution," said John Dubinksi, an astronomy professor at University of Toronto who has modeled the eventual clash between the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies. "The elliptical galaxies which represent around 10 percent of the galaxy population are most likely the product of a merger of two or more galaxies of nearly equal mass."

There’s no mention of destruction, in fact quite the contrary.

Thanks for the link by the way, very interesting.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Chemicalbrother

yep,
creation and destruction are one and the same.

one cannot create something new without destroying something that already exists.

we are now discovering black holes are the seeds of galaxies!,thats why theres a supermassive one and the centre of all of them!.and when the milky way and fay andromeda collide,the black holes will merge and stabilise the collision!.

glad you got rid of that baboon avatar,they tried to kill me once,nasty things!.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The sky is falling, the sky is falling...err,..the universe is changing, the universe is changing !!!

Reality manipulated at the point of perception is a certainty.

Publishing an article that proposes this certainty as a new idea reveals the patterns of the time-loop trap yet again !

Happy Thanksgiving !!!

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chemicalbrother

"Mergers and interactions between galaxies are an essential part of their dynamical evolution," said John Dubinksi, an astronomy professor at University of Toronto who has modeled the eventual clash between the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies.

There’s no mention of destruction, in fact quite the contrary.

Yes I am sure it is a part of evolution, just like forest fires. But the point is as the planets, suns, and black holes collide there will be destruction. So your gran kids or who ever is around will be destroyed along with everything else.
It is kind of interesting in its own way. It may not be the big crunch where they universe will be re born, but the galaxies will be re born.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Oh, I'm sure we are posing a threat to the Universe, but not for reasons cited in the article. All those crappy soap operas and reality shows that we are beaming out into space is a bigger threat. Think of the alien children growing up watching that rubbish.

On a more serious note -- why is it just mankind? Are those cosmologist not considering... alien children?

Bah. I can't work with this thread. Too surreal.

top topics

join