It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House passes the "Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   

The U.S. House of Representatives recently passed HR 1955 titled the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007. This bill is one of the most blatant attacks against the Constitution yet and actually defines thought crimes as homegrown terrorism.
this bill specifically targets the civilian population of the United States and uses vague language to define homegrown terrorism.

Source:
www.indybay.org...

Or Lee Rogers's version
www.globalresearch.ca...

This is INSANE!

Section 899B of the bill goes over the findings of Congress as it pertains to homegrown terrorism. Particularly alarming is that the bill mentions the Internet as a main source for terrorist propaganda. The bill even mentions streams in obvious reference to many of the patriot and pro-constitution Internet radio networks that have been formed. It also mentions that homegrown terrorists span all ages and races indicating that the Congress is stating that everyone is a potential terrorist.

Are we just going to allow this to happen?
I knew that the internet won't be around for long, it will be privatized and millions of internet companies will go down the drain.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
ATS users are gonna have to type in code now.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

The bill itself doesn't do anything to regulate the internet, but the fact that they even mentioned it is disturbing.

In the video, they mentioned 9/11 conspiracy theories as a threat.

I don't think it will be long before the government attempts to monitor and regulate the internet.

[edit on 11/21/2007 by Alien42]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This is starting to look like a coup de tat being planned and executed with the least amount of violence.

First lets remember Bush has famously said his job would be much easier if he were a dictator.

Second comes the slow removal of rights throughout his administration in the name of "Homeland Security".

Now there are threats that Al Qaeda will attack on election day next year, and the definition of terrorism is being expanded to vaguely include most Americans.

All he needs now is a private/secret army i.e. the SS and were on our way to the idiots fourth reich.

oh wait I forgot about... BLACKWATER... hrrrmmmm....

*poops on himself with worry*

these bastards are out to get us... What are we gonna do about it?

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Are you intentionally misrepresenting the details or did you not even bother to read the actual text?

Here is the actual wording from the House website:
SEC. 899B. FINDINGS

`The Congress finds the following:

`(1) The development and implementation of methods and processes that can be utilized to prevent violent radicalization, homegrown terrorism, and ideologically based violence in the United States is critical to combating domestic terrorism.

`(2) The promotion of violent radicalization, homegrown terrorism, and ideologically based violence exists in the United States and poses a threat to homeland security.

`(3) The Internet has aided in facilitating violent radicalization, ideologically based violence, and the homegrown terrorism process in the United States by providing access to broad and constant streams of terrorist-related propaganda to United States citizens.

`(4) While the United States must continue its vigilant efforts to combat international terrorism, it must also strengthen efforts to combat the threat posed by homegrown terrorists based and operating within the United States.

`(5) Understanding the motivational factors that lead to violent radicalization, homegrown terrorism, and ideologically based violence is a vital step toward eradicating these threats in the United States.

`(6) Preventing the potential rise of self radicalized, unaffiliated terrorists domestically cannot be easily accomplished solely through traditional Federal intelligence or law enforcement efforts, and can benefit from the incorporation of State and local efforts.

`(7) Individuals prone to violent radicalization, homegrown terrorism, and ideologically based violence span all races, ethnicities, and religious beliefs, and individuals should not be targeted based solely on race, ethnicity, or religion.

`(8) Any measure taken to prevent violent radicalization, homegrown terrorism, and ideologically based violence and homegrown terrorism in the United States should not violate the constitutional rights, civil rights, or civil liberties of United States citizens or lawful permanent residents.

`(9) Certain governments, including the United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia have significant experience with homegrown terrorism and the United States can benefit from lessons learned by those nations.

Just about everything you mentioned is false and misleading.

[edit on 21-11-2007 by 4thDoctorWhoFan]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
In an honest and just world, there would be no reasons for "homegrown terrorists" to exist.

What a waste of time that would be if everything was running as it ought to. Who would bother?

No one on earth would find any reason to fight... they would be much too busy working on their art and industry, loving every moment of it. The reason terrorism exists is because some people have been so harmed by the destruction of opportunity for art and industry, that they turn to desperate means to make change. Yes, this is wrong. But predictable.

The terrorism isn't just going to go away until the root problems of human disaffection are resolved. No amount of threatening, coercion, interrogation, incarceration, or pointing of guns at people will ever fix that problem.

What the world needs is for society to recognize the problems, and fix them. The problem comes when the people who make the laws start telling you that to fix the problems is a criminal act. They LIKE the problems, because it benefits THEM.

I think it's time to stop putting trust in the few, and let the many govern themselves with their collective wisdom. Justified faith in leaders is a quaint, impossible ideal. Given power, the hearts of men are too easily corrupted.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
And in classic fashion, 4thDoctorWhoFan argues the other side of the point for no particular reason.

The people who ignore all indications, trends, and facts to simply oppose the side they despise, i.e. the conspiracy theorists, should be the homegrown terrorists here. Openly defending and diverting facts about the terrorists who occupy seats in our government.

What do you accomplish simply be giving an opposing view? Opposing views are fine. But to ignore every indication and logical point just to make it known that you'll oppose those around you through anything and everything? What do you gain?

What will you decorate your part of the labor camp with? Will you hang your little American flags on your part of the barbed wire fencing? Maybe you can put a "Proud to be American" bumper sticker on your FEMA trailer.

What will it take for you to open your eyes and actually notice what is going on? Is it really going to take you hanging from a flag pole where your once precious symbol of freedom once flew? What will it take?

You really think the mass extermination of American freedoms is the answer to save you from the all mighty boogeyman? Does that really make you feel safe at night?

Maybe it'll be the mass arrest of us homegrown terrorists that express our right to freedom of speech? Will you think that's justified? Would that be the right thing to do?

How about we just organize a big military parade, hang hundred foot posters of Bush all over the place, and bow down to him standing in front of a podium with his arm stretched out in front of him while we all chant "Heil mein Fuhrer!"

Jesus, dude. Look at what's happening to our country. And the only thing you can do is convince yourself and try to convince others that nothing is going on, and anything that is going on, it's all in our best interest. Our leaders have our best interest at heart. Isn't that right?

Our country is going down the drain, and fast. I'm afraid there's nothing we can do at this point. It's basically up to the military now. Otherwise - game over.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
And in classic fashion, 4thDoctorWhoFan argues the other side of the point for no particular reason.

What do you accomplish simply be giving an opposing view?

What is the world are you talking about?
You mean no particular reason other than the OP not giving correct information.

Are you really so biased that you just cannot hear someone else's opinion. BTW, if you would have read my post, my point is not about an opposing view but correcting wrong information.
Geesh!!
What is wrong with you?

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 4thDoctorWhoFan

What false information would that be?

It seems you feel that such a bill cannot be abused in the slightest way. Vague definitions of "homegrown terrorism" allow "them" to label anyone they choose an "enemy combatant" or "terrorist".

That's what you're defending.

You seem to be unable to see how this is just another piece to a bigger puzzle. One by one, every right and freedom we had in this country is being taken away, and you jump all over it and discredit the whole notion that our freedoms are being taken away simply because the OP said the word "Internet" and the bill didn't.

Is that all it takes for you to discredit something?

If you think I'm misunderstanding your point, then give us your analysis of this bill. Is it good? Bad? Do you think it can be misinterpreted and abused? Do you feel it's necessary for this country to remain safe? Let's hear your opinion.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   

What false information would that be?

** SIGH **
Did you read the thread?
You are obviously too biased towards me or people with opposing political beliefs to have an actual civil discussion. I am not even going to waste my time arguing with you.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 4thDoctorWhoFan

Did you read the rest of my post?

I asked you questions. Clearly you're too biased to answer them.

I clearly said in my first post that opposing views are fine. That's what freedom of speech is about - the very thing our leaders are taking away.

But to oppose something with little logic to back it up, just for the simple fact of opposing it, that's completely pointless to do.

That's basically what you do. You always oppose the "conspiracy theory" without ever providing insight as to why you feel that way or how you came to that conclusion. You oppose it, roll your eyes, laugh, and leave when the tough questions get thrown your way.

So can you answer my questions now?

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   

But to oppose something with little logic to back it up, just for the simple fact of opposing it, that's completely pointless to do.

That's basically what you do. You always oppose the "conspiracy theory" without ever providing insight as to why you feel that way or how you came to that conclusion.

Of course this is YOUR opinion and you are entitled to your wrong opinion. The problem is that you don't understand or comprehend my logic. Just because you don't understand it does not mean logic is not there.

I don't oppose something just for the point of doing so. I oppose something because I disagree with whatever point is being made. Your view on this just shows your arrogance. People do actually think differently from you.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
This is truely scary stuff!

...and the poor frogs have no idea how hot it is...

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4thDoctorWhoFan
The problem is that you don't understand or comprehend my logic.

Then help me by giving me your opinion of this bill and we can put this thing to rest.

apc

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I love it!

(5) Understanding the motivational factors that lead to violent radicalization ...

(6) Preventing the potential rise of self radicalized...

"We've gotta figure out how to keep people from getting so pissed off they start to blow stuff up! Maybe we should pass some new laws!"

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Ahhh... another bill passed on the eve of a major holiday when no one is looking. Such sneaky tactics! The classics never go out of style!

Yep! Everything is on the up and up here...

edit: check that. The story was posted here today but on those websites it came out on November 2. I imagine there are some existing threads around here somewhere.

[edit on 11/22/2007 by Gools]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
I imagine there are some existing threads around here somewhere.

Indeed there are:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That was only a quick search.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Yep!
I thought maybe this was another bill but it's the same one.

Here's the news thread: House Passes "Thought Crime" Prevention Bill

A post in the WOT forum: Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007: HR1955 with a closing post leading to...

The open thread in the WOT forum: H.R. 1955: Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007

Sorry folks this story is almost a month old. I recommend the news thread with "Thought Crime" in the title.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join