It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can nothingness exist?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
In scientific, mathematical and common parlance, "nothing" or "zero" can be used simply to denote an absence of something (e.g., no atoms, no numbers, no money, etc.) without implying an absence of everything.

Why does anything exist?
The logical impossibility of nothing existing (or the existence of nothingness) illuminates this question. The question is framed upon the assumption that "nothing(ness)" is a more basic, fundamental, natural state than "something(ness)" - but how can it be, if our minds refuse to entertain the possibility of such a self-contradictory state? Consciousness "disproves" nothingness.

There is something that is perfect in its disorder
Which is born before Heaven and Earth.

So silent and desolate! It establishes itself without renewal.

Functions universally without lapse.
We can regard it as the Mother of Everything.

I don't know its name.

Hence, when forced to name it, I call it "Way."

When forced to categorize it, I call it "great."

All things come from the Way,
And the Way comes from nothing.

Tao Te Ching: 4th or early 3rd centuries BCE

[edit on 19-11-2007 by EvilAxis]

[edit on 19-11-2007 by EvilAxis]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   
How can nothingness be everything? One cannot be explained without the other. Take the... Singularity, it would have been nothing, because nothing was there to compare it to..

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   
AncientVoid!

you want to understand the concept of nothingness being reality.. its a hard one to swallow. nothingness being the lack of anything.. there simply is no reality, no conception of such, no perception of such, and no existance of such.

i dont think i helped with the concept but i dont think i can do any better.

Dont worry about those "if im dead nothing exists!" ppl.. they arent too bright.. and talking with them is like banging your head on a wall. ^_-

-G

<< 1  2   >>

join