It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Static Playing on Audio Equipment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Sup everybody,

I've been hearing some strange noises coming from alarm clocks, computer speakers and even the PA system at my work.

This all started a few months ago when my wife bought a cell phone. She would place her phone near my computer speakers and sometimes they would make noises. This would happen even when my computer was muted. The noises reminded me of the sounds of Morse code. I dismissed it and assumed it was some anomaly caused by the phone communicating by itself. Checking for updates or something, honestly I'm not that knowledgeable of cellular phones.

Now I have noticed the speakers have been making the same noise but while the phone is out of the house. I have also heard my alarm clock radio emulating a similar sound (like Morse code), It happened a moment ago and made me want to write about it. It also happened last night and once before.

That is not all. I've also heard it at work over the PA system. Most of the speakers on the system are high up on the ceiling but there is one lower. I was about 10 feet away from the speaker talking with a coworker and I heard the noise (like Morse code) again. I asked if she heard the noise and she said yes. I then told her that I keep hearing that sound in different places and she said she's never heard it before.

So what the heck is going on?
Is there a simple explanation for all this?
Has anyone else experienced this?

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I don't usually reply to threads like this (not being very scientific or all that into weird phenomenon) but it is a lazy Saturday and your thread is curious...

Three things came to mind:

1. The movie "Signs"

2. The theory that there is some sort of "net" in our atmosphere due to Haarp.

3. I am also one of those people that jacks up receivers when I get too close, so it could have something to do with that sort of problem.

I'll be interested to hear what other members have to say.

[edit on 17/11/07 by kosmicjack]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It happens to me all the time. The morse code-like buzzing heard by your speakers is caused by the magnets in those speakers reacting to the electromagnetic transmissions by your cell phone as it passively (or actively) sends or recieves data. Try a little experiment for yourself: Set your phone next to the offending speaker. Next, have someone call you on your cell. The neat part is, you'll hear your speaker buzz a few seconds before the phone starts ringing. Crazy stuff.

Have fun.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
That's interesting clay2 baraka but you'll have to read more of my opening post.
The noise is happening without the phone.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
That's interesting clay2 baraka but you'll have to read more of my opening post.
The noise is happening without the phone.

It can happen if another phone is way out of range too, like up on the next floor, above you... Another thing - if you look at manuals of electronic appliances they all read: "This device can cause undesirable interference when used near radios, televisions, etc.". We live in a world that is filled with magnetic energy coming from the masses of appliances we have in our modern homes.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Umbrax

My Bad, I was skimming your article. That is strange if you hear it from multiple locations. There must be a powerful RF field in your home and work. How close are they to each other? Have you heard if any co-workers ahve been complaining of hearing the buzzing in their homes?

Are there any military bases or astrononomical research facililities in your town?

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I live about a ten minute drive from my work. There is a grocery store close to my home which has two cell phone towers in and around the lot.

MastaG, you are saying these phones are effecting objects in my home from the outside?

I find this all very interesting I wonder what kind of information might be out there. Does this phenomenon have a name I can google?

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Umbrax

Lots of theories about the nefarious use of cell phones, cell towers, HAARP, etc. You can google any of it and come up with something that will keep you up at night.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It seems to happen to alot of us.

There are several threads that have talked about it, but I have yet to find a concensus as to why it happens.

Mine does it with pc speakers, alarm clock and car speakers.

My cell phone and my daughters both do it, and it has occassionally occurred when the phone isn't even present, but not usually.

It always has the same rhythm or static sound and mine actually does it about once an hour if I am sitting at the computer.

Edit to add: The screen on the monitor gets all wavy when it buzzes, too.

[edit on 17-11-2007 by interestedalways]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Clay hit on part of it with the cell phone interference bit, This happens all the time where I work, someone sets the phone down next to a computer speaker and it starts clicking and buzzing away when it rings or the phone connects to the system.

Most phones I've seen will only affect devices from three feet or less though so I'm curious about the random interference you are experiencing.

The name for the phenomenon is Electromagnetic interference.

Here is a site for tracing where exactly the problem is coming from. Although I'm not sure it will help with the clock radio, are you listening to the radio when these sounds come in? If so you could try listening on another device like a Walkman or something and see if the interference is mutual on all devices.

There are all kinds of signals around us everyday that can cause undesirable noises in amplified gear, I've worked in A/V production for about 9 years now and this is one of my least favorite things to troubleshoot, in audio production situations it's almost always a bad cable, bad shielding, or bad grounding. Sorry I can't be more help with household objects, I only experience this type of thing when there are cell phones present in my house, but reading those two sites and digging around a bit more may give you a bit more help in determining exactly where the problem is coming from.

Best of luck! I'm always amazed that people are allowed to sell devices that are obviously interfering with others...

Edit to add: in regards to the PA at work, if someone left there cell phone next to the amp that feeds those speakers it will cause the same sound, usually you have to be next to the amplifier bit to get the interference. If you stand next to an unpowered speaker and use your cell, there won't be a problem, but if the speaker has an amp built in you will.

[edit on 11/17/2007 by thebeard]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebeard
Although I'm not sure it will help with the clock radio, are you listening to the radio when these sounds come in?

Nope. Actually I've never listened to the radio on my clock and I use the buzzer to wake up to.

Thanks for the info

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Umbrax

No problem, it seems you've got a good mystery on your hands. I know I've had speakers buzz and click when they weren't turned up before, but the cell was almost always the culprit.

I found a sound clip of cell phone interference for anyone who has never heard it, mine usually just does the clicks and buzz at the end, not the craziness at the beginning. take a listen. If that is the sound your clock radio is making, I would bet it's a cell phone somewhere nearby. I did run across a few other sites and boards where people said they were getting interference from up to ten feet away from certain types of phones, although it is rather unlikely that the signal would travel through walls. If that's not it, I can only recommend moving the clock to a different spot in the room (or another room altogether) to see if it goes away, or get a new clock

I remember seeing a mythbusters a while ago where they tested cell phones and aircraft components to see if you could really crash a plane if you made a call. I can't remember if they crashed the plane or not (I don't think they did), but It was interesting to hear about all of the different frequencies and power levels used in different types of cell phones. It's amazing how much the wireless spectrum has filled up recently.

Hope you can sort it out, it is annoying for sure when equiptment doesn't work as it should.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 03:05 AM
link   
It's not some mystical magical power possessed by telephones... it's just simple interference, a lot of systems are now being designed to cope with interference from mobile phones.

The further a phone is away from a Mast, there is an increased likleyhood of interference as the Telephone increases its power output in order to reach the mast, however, if one lives next to masts, which have MASSIVE power output, then I'd say it is pretty much a given that some interference will occur.

[edit on 18-11-2007 by Chowzor]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka
Try a little experiment for yourself: Set your phone next to the offending speaker. Next, have someone call you on your cell. The neat part is, you'll hear your speaker buzz a few seconds before the phone starts ringing. Crazy stuff.

Have fun.

This is because it takes a while for the phone network to locate your phone, set up channels for talking and listening etc.

More info on how a cell phone works

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebeardtake a listen

That's the noise.

I just woke up at 6am and I heard the noise on my clock again. My wife's cell phone is on the main floor (clock is in my room on the second floor) in her jacket pocket.

Now the only thing I don't really get is why this has been happening so often lately.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This noise come even if you don't use your phone or get a call or text message, i always keep my cellphone in front of my eyes near my computer speaker and screen and sometimes for 2 second i heard this noise, some say to me it's cause the cellphone is looking for the network, it's appear to be every 4 hours or something like that( yes i spend a lot of time in front my computer
).
The screen too is altered by the frequencies when i get a call or message.

Nothing strange here.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I know if you walk closeby a microwave with headphones on it causes a disturbance.. common electrical feild ..although here in Australia recently there was a case where they shut down a television studio due the a whole bunch of people working there developing cancers.. it was the abc studios in Brissy I think .. Standard dont live near big power poles thingy I reckon.. Oh by the way Gday everyone..

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
hmm

maybe tell SETI about it ?

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
You have been bugged, no doubt some form of internet perversness, they'll explain it all to you in your trail.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Sounds like digital interference to me. Digital noise can sound like morse code. Unfortunately pervasive in most areas with cell towers.
But thankfully, there is a cure. Trash every bit of electronic gizmos over 3 years old and buy hi-dollar new stuff.
Serious, really. If you call a manufacturer and complain about interference, this is what they will tell you.
Sad.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join