It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am Sam...I am new.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
SAM, Surface-to Air Missle. hum. my first. just a thought.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Hey Sam..Welcome To ATS

I hope you have a long stay here

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Welcome Sam I am. I enjoyed watching your intro pages progress.

It was a study in controlled group emotion. So many different emotions in such a short time. Rather like a wave building, cresting and then smoothing out.

I would have to say you have a charismatic personality. You can easily garner control of the masses of people.

No one has come forth and shared what they have learned to imply you are a hoax or not with good intentions. It would be nice to be privy to this information some members have.

Who ever you are.....excellent work.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
The only problem I see with this Sam character is that he seems, to me at least, to be creating some type of 'omnipotent' image about himself, like he sees and knows things beyond what others can gather through ordinary means.

For instance, with Cuhail's McMurphy "clan" mystery, in which this Sam had supposedly pulled Cuhail's last name out of nothing, can easily be figured out.

Just google the name Cuhail, and you'll come up with a myspace and deviantart page which both display the name McMurphy, and an image similar to Cuhail's (on ATS) avatar picture.

So you see, I believe this Sam is really just a normal person using the internet as a means to bolster his ego, to make himself feel important in a world where it so hard to become a figure of importance.

That is my theory, anyways.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Welcome Sam, Sam I Am -- to our little clan
a spot of refuge, a tool of sorts,
indulging us in conspiracy cavorts.

Be kind to mods, be kind to the staff
share your knowledge, and always laugh.

For life is to short for us mortal folk,
to sit on the side-lines and not enjoy a joke.

So this I say, unto you my new friend,
make yourself welcome and follow our trend...

Of seeking the answers to life's biggest questions,
and absorbing all of other's life-lessons.

This is a note, a playfull welcome to you,
I hope that you read it, and find something true.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Um...ok...lemme get this straight...

We're dealing w/ a) a bot b) someone w/ less than native English skills (not taking the pish...just making a statement) or c) AFH (another !"#@ing hoaxer) doing some sort of social experiment.

...and this has gone on for 11 pages for what reason?

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I have a feeling that there are sentient AI's running around on the internet under the "guise" of humans. This person's semantics, speech structure, dialect and style lend to that of a computer system trying to grasp the "human" element of communication. What better way for an AI to learn how to "act human" than to place itself on a very, VERY active message board and learn/absorb all that it can?

If I were a self-aware AI, I wouldn't let ANYONE I got in contact with on the 'net know it. I'd hide under a guise of being a "human" and learn, leech, absorb and gather all that I could from the organic-input entities.

Remember, all that glitters isn't always gold. . . who you think your talking to might just be millions of lines of code...

[edit on 14-11-2007 by MystikMushroom]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by HokkaidoHillbilly

You forgot "d) a prevously banned member".

Looks like she's decided to give it another go around. Her last alias took a bit longer than a day to discover, so she's apparently getting worse with practice.

[edit on 11/14/07 by redmage]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Oh and by the way, I like social experiments. Of all the branches of psychology I have studied and taken classes in, social psychology was by far the most interesting and entertaining.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

I haven't read enough of this thread to know if he answered the question about how he knows your last name... I am just getting annoyed with the whole conversation.

When I read your question about how he knew, I went ahead and googled "Cuhail." One of the first things to come up was the Myspace page for Cuhail McMurphy.

Wait, I'm sure that is not what he wants us all to think. I know! Ooh... It's magic!

Go ahead... I'll bite! What can you tell me about me?

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by redmage

"She" do you happen to have cause to believe that this "Sam I Am" is somehow related to a previously banned member? If so...darn, I'd like to hear the evidence....I mean, I'd love to think we have our own sentient AI here on ATS, but if it turns out to be some whack-job the mob (we're not a community--we're a mob here, like it or not) decided to ban....I'd like to know!

Does the IP's seem fishy? Style of writing? Anything....?

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheHypnoToad

A sentient "living program" that exists on the net could do the same nearly instantly--and why wouldn't it?

There is something about the semantics and style that lead me to believe that this user is a highly advanced AI (advanced enough to become sentient)

That is my opinion, however.

Hence the reason the answers seem to be "child-like" and simplistic.

The more we "give it" the more it will grow, become more complex and enable it to fool us ever more. This might not even be a breed of initial AI's that are running around--we just got lucky and happened to see a "child AI" at it's beginnings.

Humans need machines! Machines need humans for creativity, art and emotions! Don't kill us!

[edit on 14-11-2007 by MystikMushroom]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
No there is no AI running around the internet, unless you mean those scripts which automatically fill out forms. Attempts at creating AI you can converse with suck horribly, look at the best examples and they are not even on the bottom steps of looking promising. Ghost in the shell is a nice movie, but it's not here yet

Also to those that missed it, and cant see why anyone is doubting Sam. Well some of us checked out his photobucket -which he had no idea we could look at without requiring a password- and saw a bunch of family pictures and other avatars that have been used on these forums already.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Case closed! *BOOK SLAM*

Never mind, I let my imagination run away with me...

Unless YOU are another AI, more advanced than Sam I Am, trying to convince me you AI's don't exist!!!!!!

Joking, of course.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I won't go into the how's, but I will say that 12m8keall2c has already posted links to a few pics of her here, and those pics are of a former member darkheartrising. There is also evidence that icybreeze was the name she used between darkheartrising, and I am Sam.

All in all, she's left quite the trail, and it took members & staff less than 24 hours to link the three monikers together. Nice job ATS, and keep up the good work.

[edit on 11/14/07 by redmage]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
Case closed! *BOOK SLAM*

Never mind, I let my imagination run away with me...

Unless YOU are another AI, more advanced than Sam I Am, trying to convince me you AI's don't exist!!!!!!

Joking, of course.

Well sometimes i feel like i'm artificially intelligent
But i'm not artifical intelligence

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I'm going to take a small detour here, though it is inspired by our poster. I fished for trout, and found a gar on this thread, but that won't always be true. Someday an AI will slide into the wild, either on it's own, or as part of a learning process/testing scenario.

It will happen, the question is just when. So how do we handle that? What is said in the T&C that might apply?
Do we members treat this entity the same as any other?

Let's not derail Sam's thread with speculation about AIs, because Sam is no AI. (John Lear was so kind to loan me a spare AI meter, so I know.
) But everyone needs to put the idea of it in the back of their mind. No telling how soon we may have this thread with the real deal.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sataurë

For instance, with Cuhail's McMurphy "clan" mystery, in which this Sam had supposedly pulled Cuhail's last name out of nothing, can easily be figured out.

Just google the name Cuhail, and you'll come up with a myspace and deviantart page which both display the name McMurphy, and an image similar to Cuhail's (on ATS) avatar picture.

Yeah, welcome to my life, VIA MySpace!
Yes, I'm a friggin huge, bald guy who plays with swords! Not so strange, right?

Cuhail McMurphy

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
reply to post by Cuhail

Eagles... Eagles... why I oughta....

GO STEELERS !!!

Oh Please!

Go the All Blacks!

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Are you a tulpa, Sam?