It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History Channel - The Universe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Blayde

Excellent. Those may have "older" statements that are a bit out of date, but they're still some of the best stuff around. Hope you find the time to upload them.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Cool! Thanks for this. I'm just echoing others. But thought I'd say thanks for appealing to my interests.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Well the Universe and BBC Space stuff is up on there now. My next job was to upload Cosmos but I've been putting it off for weeks (got sidetracked and lost the flow, you know how that goes) but I'm glad I found this post (kudo's to OP) because that will give me an incentive to get Cosmos uploaded.

Keep checking the profile every day....my upload speed is'nt stellar, so I can only get on average, 1 episode uploaded per day (takes most of the day just to upload 1 episode, but at least you can download it to keep once its up).

I will start uploadiiiiiiiiing........NOW.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Hope I dont lose my friends for this but...
I watched HC religiously for 6 months including this series and I slowly came to the conclusion that HC very subtly spins any and all info. back to "official scientific" reasoning. I cant stand the way they set up every program, not just The Universe, as Scientific Fact. I esp. hate the way they "debunk" any and everything that goes against the norm, the shows always start out very interesting, the first 30 minutes are amazing the last half always drifts to "what is really going on" so says their scientists.
And one last thing, tonight they aired a 3 hour fearmongering set of documentaries...Global Warming? and Oil Apocalypse. As history goes on the HC, Gobal Warming was EXTREMELY interesting the first half, talked about the ebb and flow of Earth's climate etc. the second half was all about how humans have destroyed our planet and worst case scenarios, with even worst worst case scenarios and then a worst worst worst case scenario. Watched half of Oil Apocalypse and had to turn it off, just couldnt take anymore.
Sorry for the rant and totally not trying to demean OP's post just wanted to throw a different light on this. Watch the shows with open eyes and you will see the patterns as well

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SEEWHATUDO
Sorry for the rant and totally not trying to demean OP's post just wanted to throw a different light on this. Watch the shows with open eyes and you will see the patterns as well

Valid points. I have often thought to myself that series like The Universe and BBC Space are very doomsday-like in their presentations. If you watch BBC Space for example, there is a whole episode dedicated to doomsday scenario's, and parts of The Universe strike me as being very very sensationalistic (bordering on scaremongering).

I have seen it said that The Universe is "dumbed down" viewing for the masses. Maybe so, maybe not - I still think it's cool though.

The problem with these kinds of series is that at no point in time, do we ever know everything about everything, so you have to watch these shows with that in mind. I dont believe that they put these out and expect you to believe it hook, line and sinker, because by definition, what we know today might change tomorrow, and these program makers know that.

I think, as with everything, you have to watch these things with an open mind and always be ready to question anything you dont understand.
There was a debate on HC's own website regarding the Moon episode from this series and there was a lot of debate about the "facts" put over in the episode. This is great. That means that people are'nt willing to just take these things at face value just because some scientist (who was probably hypothesizing in the first place) said it was so.

Bottom line....keep open minds, question everything, but DIG those graphics!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Oh yeah - well of course HC is biased...

I mean they constantly shoot down questions regarding 9/11 with the flimsiest of pretenses.

They are in fact main stream media - and should be taken with a grain of salt for sure.

But I thought the Universe series was very good - not dumbed down so much as simplified - with nice graphics to help illustrate various points.

Being a visual person - as many are - I appreciate the occasional break from textbook science.

Heck I'd be pleased if most Americans would even watch shows like this - or be intellectually curious about anything besides the next American Idol...

;-)

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Bumped, because more people need to see these videos.

The planets are miraculous, and it's videos like these that help deny ignorance.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join