It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who else plays with their appearance?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
before i talk about the actual act of playing with my appearance, let me tell you a little bit about myself.

i dress like a thug and have thuggish ways. i sag, wear wavecaps, ride with the homies bumpin the loud ass system etc..
i'm also a lil rude. an example of this follows. at my job im a temp and during break we have to share a picnic table with the permanents. more often than not you can find me at that table justa cussing, spitting lugies, smacking my gum, and burping. it annoys the hell outta the permanents, a majority of who are old heads.

finally, i've done a little bit of the classic thug/goon junk. i won't go into detail but let's just say it involved a gun.

now on to the act of playing with my appearance. one time i was outside on the porch with a homie of mine. we were chit chattin, drinking 24's (ppl who drink on here know what i'm talking about). then some holy rollies approached us. came into the yard talking about god, the church, being saved, yadda yadda yadda. the whole time they were talking i was still taking swigs of the beer, had to stop them to answer the cell etc. eventually they brought up the bible. that's when outta nowhere i decided to actually engage them in a conversation. i brought up the kane and able story, pharoah, talked about my thoughts on the book of revelations etc. needless to say they were stunned that i finally decided to talk to them and that i actually knew about the bible and crap. afterwards we all prayed together.

before i started talking to them i was purposely exaggerating my thuggish appearance. i would stand up while talking on the phone and scratch my belly, causing me to have to lift my shirt up a bit and in doing so showing the infamous "saggin draws". i knew exactly what they were thinking when i did this and i knew exactly what they were thinking when they approached me. i also knew exactly what they were thinking when i started talking to them about the bible. the whole time i was just laughing inside.

another time at my old job i was talking to this old lady. i was using big words and crap. at one point during the convo she asked me "where is this vocabulary coming from". instead of answering her, i just grinned real big.

now don't get the wrong idea. i don't do this for attention. most people who do this kind of thing are doing it for just that. the people who do it for attention have most likely never done the things their appearance and actions portray. i have. i do it to shock, amaze, intrigue, and to gain friends.

in my thug days, whenever i would approach the average hoodrat to spit game, i would purposely talk to her about things i knew she knew nothing about. then when we would actually chill together, i'd take her to the hood and introduce her to my goons. the whole time she would be looking at me like.."i had no idea you knew people like this" upon me placing her in her element, she would be more receptive to my game.

i'm currently reading the interpretation of dreams by freud. when i get done i'm gonna go into the book store where i got it from, go to the section of the store that contains the dream books, and spark a conversation with a person who's in that section about the book. this is exactly how it's gonna go. i'm gonna approach them with a cocky ass strut, stare them up and down (all in hopes of intimadting him/her) then just start talking to them about the book. and it'll produce the same results. shock: because i didn't threaten him/her amazment: because i actually know about the book, have actually read it, and not just pretending to know about it. intrigue: because i'm dude with thuggish ways and read. and after producing those results i'll gain a new friend. because i'm just so damn cool to talk to

anyway, anyone else do or have done this type of thing?

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Well LordInfamous all I can say is this, "Go where there is no path and leave a trail"

If it is amusing to watch people stereotype you and then shake the shock off when you show depth beyond the depth of which they will expect from you then by all means mess with their pee pickin heads till the cows come home and all the while know that you are a step ahead of the game.

I can understand a certain satisfaction from such behaviors.

If you can't change the reality you can change the reality on another level.

Go for it my friend. Rock the boat and don't fall out laughing!

Thanks for sharing some insight on your inner workings.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

I'd suggest a session with Lady Jean Broke-Smith:

HTH.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I think you should come up with a look that's totally original, like a thug /emo look.

Does somebody have a ghetto dictionary? I need one for translation purposes.

Peace

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
Well LordInfamous all I can say is this, "Go where there is no path and leave a trail"

If it is amusing to watch people stereotype you and then shake the shock off when you show depth beyond the depth of which they will expect from you then by all means mess with their pee pickin heads till the cows come home and all the while know that you are a step ahead of the game.

I can understand a certain satisfaction from such behaviors.

If you can't change the reality you can change the reality on another level.

Go for it my friend. Rock the boat and don't fall out laughing!

Thanks for sharing some insight on your inner workings.

yeah i love to do this. it's fun. i've always liked to throw ppl off balance and get in their heads. just the way i am. when ppl realize how much of a idiot they were for stereotyping me in the firstplace, i feel really damn good.

most ppl like that don't actually have a problem with the races they've stereotyped. they just had some bad expieriences with them. they've been brainwashed. i fix all that for them. then when they learn to like me...i behave in a stereotypical way. i do this for one reason. to see if their transformation is genuine or if it's all bogus.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I take the shirt on top of the pile, the pants on top of the pile, and put on the first pair of the 2 pairs of shoes i own...

If i got time before class i shave...

And ive worn boxers since 1st grade, and have always kinda sagged my pants a little bit...

My sisters used to choose my clothes before i would go out on dates, and later, my g/f's would choose the clothes...

And my mom still buys all my clothes... (and throws away the clothes i have, becuase she doesn't like them, because they are old/wholy! Seriously, those were my lucky jeans!)

then again, i am a pretty simple guy

Oh i have some real nice colone too, one of my sister bought it a few years ago, its good when i don't want to do a load of laundry.

And i have long curly hair, i havent had a hair cut in 2 years... I don't own a comb...

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
First of all, being a "thug" has nothing to do with how you dress. Those who think it does are just pretenders. Being a "thug" has more to do with your actions when someone screws with you, than with what type of clothing you wear.

[edit on 12-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
First of all, being a "thug" has nothing to do with how you dress. Those who think it does are just pretenders. Being a "thug" has more to do with your actions when someone screws with you, than with what type of clothing you wear.

[edit on 12-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

i see what you're saying but that's not exactly true. i know some folks who consider bill o'reilly to be a thug because he uses intimidation tactics on his show. indeed, thugs do intimidate people all the time. but he's not a thug and i'll tell you why. he'd never last in the streets. anyone can be a bully, anyone can seek revenge when they get messed with, but to be a true thug you'd better able to hold your own in the streets.

i know several people who if confronted by a real thug..would crap their pants. but if anyone else were to confront them they would go and handle their business. most peole like this only handle their business over very important things ie..hurting a family member or whatnot etc.. if the same scenario happend to a thug he'd handle business to. but the difference is he'd also handle business over mucn much smaller things. like someone owing them a measly 5-50 dollars..or someone simply surveying them (looking at them long enough to fom an opinion about them)

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordInfamous
i see what you're saying but that's not exactly true. i know some folks who consider bill o'reilly to be a thug because he uses intimidation tactics on his show. indeed, thugs do intimidate people all the time. but he's not a thug and i'll tell you why. he'd never last in the streets.

You do realize that he grew up in the streets, right?

He didn't grow up in some well-to-do "white" community.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

You do realize that he grew up in the streets, right?

He didn't grow up in some well-to-do "white" community.

i didn't know that. but he still isin't a thug. the only thing that he has in common with thugs is that he intimidates folks.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well, he certainly doesn't go around beating on people, no.

I don't necessarily even associate intimidation with being a "thug," really. Although, that can be a part of it. Let's look at what the dictionary says about the original thugs...

Thug may refer to:

Thug, (ठग), a member of the defunct Indian cult Thuggee
Thug, slang for a gangster or a petty thief
Thug, a brute, bully, criminal, delinquent, rough person, ruffian, suburban hoodlum
Thug, a gardening term meaning an over-vigorous plant that spreads excessively
Thug, a wooden bat used in the game miniten
Thug, a type of allomancer in the Mistborn series of books by Brandon Sanderson
THUG, an abbreviation for Tony Hawk's Underground video game

Thug

In modern day lingo, a thug would be the third explanation given. However, throughout history, it has had other meaning and connotations to it.

The Hindu thugs attributed a very early and divine origin for their sect. It was believed that the Holy Trinity of the Hindus Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva took up their roles as the Creator, Preserver and Destroyer. Initially there was an equilibrium between creation and destruction or death. However Brahma soon sped up and the Earth was rapidly peopled. Shiva then asked his consorts Devi,Bhawani and Kali to help in the task.

Bhawani also known as Devi Durga brought to life a band of ferocious men and told them to go forth and carry out the task of destruction. She blessed them with immunity from all Earthly retribution and said that they only need to kill. She herself would carry the bodies away.

This band or the Thugs set about their task. Once one group wishing to see how the bodies were removed hid close by their victims corpses waiting for the Devi. The Goddess knew they were hiding close by and summoned them. She told them that since they disobeyed her and have seen her she would not help in the disposition of bodies any more. Also if the bodies were discovered and Earthly justice got hold of them, she would not protect them. Thus the Thugs had to bury the dead bodies hereafter.

Thugee

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Thug, a brute, bully, criminal, delinquent, rough person, ruffian, suburban hoodlum

no. if all thugs were bullies then every person who holds or has ever held a manager position at a job would be a thug. every other word is what most thugs are though. criminal is a toss up. it depends on their charges.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
My girl friends mother buys all my clothes. Being as how she is 83, senile and suffering from dementia, I tend to look very odd being dressed as a Russian ballerina or a rugby player. But free clothes is OK by me and I'm to old to try and portray an image for others.

When I bought my own clothes I normally looked like a cross between Hopalong Cassidy and Fritz the Cat.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I think everybody does to some extent. I'm a team member in negotiations; last session I was the tough cowgirl so I wore jeans, a button down shirt and a tailored leather jacket. This next go my role is tough business like lady; so I'm wearing a tailored business suit, silk shirt and 2.5 inch heels. Am I a different person heck no just playing different role in the meeting. It helps keep the other side off balance. Plus there will be a bit of intimindation going on as I'm already 5'11" it's all about phychological games.

It's not unlike what you do.

[edit on 13-11-2007 by gallopinghordes]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I like your style LordInfamous, a very interesting way of meeting people, intimidate them then surprise them being the exact opposite of what they expect. You'd certainly surprise me, in fact you already have(I'm unfortunately one of them people that stereotypes people but thats mainly because I've dated a thug who was an absolute idiot and all his friends were idiots, I'm talking so stupid they didn't know basic maths but thats another story).
Thats a lot of work to make friends with someone, I don't think I've ever had someone try so hard to be my friend...oh no wait thats a lie one of my friends stalked me at school because she wanted to be my friend and now she is.....I feel loved...buts once again that another story....I'm getting off topic.

I can't really surprise people with my appearance, unfortunately, I don't really fit any stereotype, and the stereotypes I best fit, nerd and goth, don't really let me shock people
Shame.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I like to change my appearance by going out in drag. But, I look awful in heels (I am bow legged and that looks nasty with heels). So, I usually have to wear long dresses or nice pant suits.

Good times.....

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordInfamous

now don't get the wrong idea. i don't do this for attention.

in my thug days, whenever i would approach the average hoodrat to spit game,

ok tupac

about playing with my appearance.

if getting all my ink counts then i guess.
i have worn jeans and t's for as long as i can remember....bout the only thing i change up is my beard...beard to chops to stashe to beard...

thats about it my homie yo wurd up

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Once as an experiment in Social Psychology; I dressed up like a street person and stood in a busy intersection with a sign reading "Why lie, I need a drink"

Made $52.65 in about 2+ hrs. People were usually nice; I was astonished at the compassion to the down and out. Maybe I shouldn't be as I usually give bums money. Some people shouted at me to get a job though.

This experiment was for a class in grad school, presented as a video.

[edit on 13-11-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
ok tupac

pac didn't become a thug until he got rich. i became a thug when i had to get a plethora of chumps off my back.

you tell me what it means.

[edit on 13-11-2007 by LordInfamous]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LordInfamous

I for one, won't stereotype ya.

Lordinfamous?

It's nice to see a 'down-to-earth-person' such as yourself!

You're a breath of fresh air.

Nice to meet you!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join