It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magma pushing up ground in Yellowstone

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Magma pushing up ground in Yellowstone

www.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Yellowstone National Park, once the site of a giant volcano, has begun swelling up, possibly because molten rock is accumulating beneath the surface, scientists report.

Yellowstone's Great Fountain Basin spews in file photograph provided by the National Parks Service.

But, "there is no evidence of an imminent volcanic eruption," said Robert B. Smith, a professor of geophysics at the University of Utah.

Many giant volcanic craters around the world go up and down over decades without erupting, he said.

Smith and colleagues report in Friday's issue of the journal Science that the flow of the ancient Yellowstone crater has been moving upward almost 3 inches per year for the past three years.

That is more than three times faster than ever observed since such measurements began in 1923, the researchers said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
There is no evidence of immenent cataclysmic event, BUT, if we have the same scientists who measure changes in the climate for the psuedo-science called global warming.....
then this statement -

that the flow of the ancient Yellowstone crater has been moving upward almost 3 inches per year for the past three years.

That is more than three times faster than ever observed since such measurements began in 1923, the researchers said.

They will be scaring the begeezers out of soon enough with predictions of lave rising at a rate of 20 feet per year. I am sure its mans fault too that its rising at three times faster than ever observed too. I guess prior to 1923 we did not care about the caldera. In fact, I bet they will find a way to link global warming to the reason the lava is rising.

Absolutely nothing to do with the fact that this caldera is extrememly old and blown its top before. Hmmm...sounds like another cycle to me.....

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I don't know if anyone noticed, but there are numbers that may mean more then meets the eye.

The volcano at Yellowstone produced massive eruptions 2 million, 1.3 million and 642,000 years ago, all larger than the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens.

So... it's about 640.000 years every "cycle"... and the last one was about that amount of time.... hmmm...

Peace

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Sator

Indeed, nice eye Sator.

When Yellowstone DOES go, it's gonna be UGLY.

Jasn

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
New York City here, not sure I would be safe based on some of the stuff I have read and seen on the Discovery Channel. Would be a nasty one.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Just a thought for those of you who almost dream for this cataclysm to happen... IF it does blow... your all dead... so why are you debating about something humans have little to no control over? I bet its bragging rights isnt it? Too bad youd be dead... so I dont quite understand the purpose of debating this topic. When it goes it goes, its pretty simple.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
would'nt there be SOME WAY to drill into this mess and let it do some seeping to the surface?

I would think that aleveating pressure would possibly stave off a big blow up...
...there just HAS to be some way to let some of the pressure out.....
So WHAT if we loose a good portion of the park to become some bubbleing lava soup when it might just save the entire USA...........

Let alone the rest of the planet from living under a dark cloud for a few years..........
My God this is the scariest thing ever......I would way rather deal with alien abduction than the Yellowstone caldera blowing up.

[edit on 9-11-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by newage2012
Just a thought for those of you who almost dream for this cataclysm to happen... IF it does blow... your all dead... so why are you debating about something humans have little to no control over? I bet its bragging rights isnt it? Too bad youd be dead... so I dont quite understand the purpose of debating this topic. When it goes it goes, its pretty simple.

Thats a very ignorant post imo, and no I dont think everyone would die especially if we managed to evacuate or provide shelter. When we talk about stuff its a pretty good way to get a solution and I havnt heard of any problem being solved by doing nothing and discussing nothing. Who is bragging and whats there to brag about is what I want to know lol.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by newage2012

Your post is bordering on the ridiculous! What are you saying?
"Bragging rights???"
There is no debate here on 'This' subject, we are concerned not only for the United States but for all of countries that will be affected. Read the post below you by RG and see what a discussion and round table is all about. If you have nothing intelligent to bring to the table stay out.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
IF yellowstone blows, there will be a significant ash fall over an area stetching all the way to the Great Lakes. There goes the prairies which feed people worldwide. Beyond the immediate damage to infrastructure and agriculture, there will be a sharp decline in sunlight globally as the ash cloud totallycircumvents earth

Worldwide famine will be the biggest killer and it will last years, imo.

Also, I don't believe there is any way to relieve the pressure safely. The amount of magma building under the swelling dome is too huge and to 'open it up a bit' will only result in an earlier catastrophy.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Does anyone know of any research into relieving the pressure of the build up?
You would think that,started early enough, it could avert one rather large messy pop.

Even in UK there would be affected climate change depending on how long the eruption lasted and how much ash was left circling the globe.

Has anyone thought about warning Yogi and booboo too??

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
would'nt there be SOME WAY to drill into this mess and let it do some seeping to the surface?

I would think that aleveating pressure would possibly stave off a big blow up...
So WHAT if we loose a good portion of the park to become some bubbleing lava soup when it might just save the entire USA...........

Let alone the rest of the planet from living under a dark cloud for a few years..........
My God this is the scariest thing ever......I would way rather deal with alien abduction than the Yellowstone caldera blowing up.

the magmas in a vacuum if we drilled into it it would cause the eruption. as soon as air is introduced it depressuriza which would be the "eruption"

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by justanothergangsterthe magmas in a vacuum if we drilled into it it would cause the eruption..

Would that not be an extreme lesser of two evils though.
Like getting the sniffles during a bird flu jab .

I'm pretty sure a large eruption is preferrable to a possible global extinction event.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Yellowstone releases pressure all the time, the dome rise is nothing to worry about it something which allows us to understand a little more as technology allows deeper research, but you are obviously going to get the doomsday preachers all wanting to make you pack up your families and run those level headed people amongst us will listen to sense and and logic when it does start to fulfill its destiny there shall be plenty of warnings and afterwards beautifully fantastic red skies.
Im not playing down that when it eventually does blow deaths are going to occur depending on locations or unpredictable events afterwards (floods etc)
it will not blow the USA into space but there will be a very very large hole before it begins to refill, the lake district in the UK was once a caldera could even be the same one but ill have to check records,

Dont read to much into a story written by a journalist looking to fill an empty day, it is the most monitored geological location on planet earth trust me you will know..

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
I'm pretty sure a large eruption is preferrable to a possible global extinction event.

I will second this observation...........

(lets not worry about what some fool idiots want to say about bragging rights)

We need to figure out SOME kind of solution.

MAYBE the Gubmint allready HAS a solution for the very few.....with all the underground bases in the west that connect up....(Denver Airport/Dulce/area51)....and the people they plan to save those few who have tickets to the safety of the underground tunnels & living quarters.......MAYBE thats what all this is all about anyway.......letting nature de-populate the planet while the ELITE FEW survive below ground.....maybe the only ones with a ticket below ground have reptillian bloodlines and the ONLY survivors will be the shapeshifters

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This video shows what would happen if yellowstone errupts. Very scrary thought and I'm right in the line of fire. ( Tennessee )

Countdown To Doomsday

Edit just to say I have an Idea

Dig a canal from the ocean all the way to yellowstone and let the water cool it off. It's a long shot I know.

[edit on 11/9/2007 by Solarskye]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

Yes that would only cause the thing to blow, You can not stop mother nature in all her furry. If this thing blows half of the country would be ruined and millions would die. It would affect all the world in a very bad way. 3 inches per year sounds very bad.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess

I DID SUGGEST DOING THAT BUT ALL
the fuddy duddies came up with all the " it cant be done" excuses...

bunch of old foggies...

I SUGGESTED DRILLING 100 OIL PIPELINE HOLeS
to relieve the pressure....

it was very detailed my thread posted here in ATS but EVERYONE COULD NOT THINK OF IT...

AND SAID NO...

I THINK THEY WANT IT TO EXPLODE SO THEY CAN START A NEW WORLD.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Nature will take it's course when it's ready to do so and we as people of this planet shall stand back and watch the might of nature consume everything in sight.

I watched a documentary about this on Discovery, an excellent view. It's inevitable one day it shall erupt the only question is when!

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by esecallum

If you can hold back a 100 megaton blast go ahead buddy be our guest. Krakatau was heard around the world, This baby would make most people in the U.S. deaf if it all blew at once.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join