It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few flaws that make me question religion.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I know there seems to be some sort of "athiest uprising" on the internet right now and I'd like point out that I highly resent this mass of ranters constantly pointing out how stupid religion is. Ultimately atheism has, for many people, just become another antagonistic, self-righteous faction (along with all the other people who use religion for personal gain).

Okay, so heres a few of the questions that got me questioning religion (christianity in my case).

Wouldn't people born into devout christian families have an advantage over, say someone born into a family of sadist neo-nazis? I mean, no one is born "good" and neither is anyone born "evil". Your personality is, for the most part, dependent on what you experience in life. So if God loves us so much, why isn't he giving us all a fair start.

The same logic applies to this: What about the majority of the world who are non-christian? You'd be surprised how many people don't know who jesus was, so are they just stuck with eternal damnation?

What about this: If you think about it, there is no such thing as chance or probability in this universe. Everything is destined to happen one way and if it happens any other way it would be breaking the laws of physics. So then why are we being tested by god? Surely, with gods omniscience he would already know the outcome of everything.

My final point
According to most religions (again more specifically christianity) in conjunction with what we understand about the universe, we live on an infantecimally small planet (in respect to the size of the universe). This is the only planet that harbours life, and is under the careful watch of an unspeakably evil omnipotent being and it's opposite god. This whole universe's sole purpose was to house a tiny rock where a few trillion people would have to try and prove that they were worthy of an afterlife of eternal bliss. What's the point? It was gods idea to create us but it turns out it wasn't such a good idea after all. I mean, didnt he see all this coming.

These questions are from someone still terrified of hell. Although i doubt it's existence it still scares me. Like being on a plane and not expecting a crash but still being worried by the chance of one.

[edit]
(Being the ats noob i am I've gone and put this in the conspiracy forum. Thanks to whoever puts this thread in the correct place.)

[edit on 8-11-2007 by dorean]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Questioning religion is what we should all be doing, brother.... cuz it's got some 'splainin' to do.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
There is a lot of information on ATS that raises many questions about religion. Here is a good place to start.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

see that little white rectangle in the upper right hand corner....
Type in what you are intrested in and walaa, information, don't believe all you read though.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   

What about this: If you think about it, there is no such thing as chance or probability in this universe. Everything is destined to happen one way and if it happens any other way it would be breaking the laws of physics. So then why are we being tested by god? Surely, with gods omniscience he would already know the outcome of everything.

That's actually the exact opposite of what quantum physics states. At the quantum scale, everything is essentially just probabilities and chances. A particle has a probability to be at every point in the universe at once, there's just a higher chance it will be here rather than there.

There's a passage in the book of Matthew that implies that anyone doing a good deed is essentially doing God's work, even if they are not aware of it. Christian Churches like to ignore this and say that anyone not Christian is going to burn in hell for eternity, even the ones who have never been exposed to it. It's one of the biggest qualms I have with organized Christianity as of now...

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Just because you don't believe in religion does not mean you are an atheist.

I'm a Spiritual Anarchist. I do not believe in ANY religion, but I believe dearly in the one who created all things. I do believe in a God.

God created man, man created religion.

Just my thoughts,

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I just gotta remember to drop my firewall when I post. If I don't i get double posts.

[edit on 8-11-2007 by mrwupy]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by evanmontegarde
That's actually the exact opposite of what quantum physics states. At the quantum scale, everything is essentially just probabilities and chances.

A valid point, but I would have thought that the only reason we see the world of quantum physics as unpredictable because we know so little about it. Just like we see flipping a coin as random when really its not. We just cant process that all the information to be able to predict the outcome.

For some reason I cant believe that randomness is present in any form in this universe.

top topics

join