It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Inventors...Extraordinary Inventions!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Greetings!

Sometime last week or so, I was rummaging through some old paperwork of mine and I came across a folder of my husband's where he had his old resumes, degrees, and certificates. Also inside, was an email that he printed out back in, oh, about 1996. It was an email about what if there were no black people in the world; of black inventors.

This is it here:
What If There Were No Black Folk?

This is a story of a little boy named Theo, who woke up one morning and asked Mom "What if there were no black people in the world?"

Well, Mom thought about that for a moment and then said, "Son, follow me around today and let's just see what it would be like if there were no black people in the world. Get dressed and we will get started."

Theo ran to his room to put on his clothes and shoes. But there were no shoes, and his clothes were all wrinkled. He looked for the iron, but when reached for the ironing board, it was no longer there. You see Sarah Boone, a Black woman, invented the ironing board and Jan E. Matzelinger, a Black man invented the shoe lasting machine.

Here's a more in depth list of products we may or may not use everyday:
Black Inventors...Extraordinary Inventions!

Horse Riding Saddle - Wm. D. Davis
Letter Box - G.E. Becket
Home Security System - Marie Brown
Bicycle Frame - Issac R. Johnson
Super Soaker - Lonnie Johnson
Peanut Butter - George W. Carver
Fire Extinguisher - Tom J. Marshal
Celluar Phone - Henry Sampson

The Black Inventors Online Museum

Anyone play chess? I found this several years ago:
The Black Genesis of Chess - Moors of Spain

Chess is a game that we all love and enjoy for its build-up of tension and it infinite possibilities. Black chess players have recently begun to make headway into the upper echelons of the international chess arena. However, there was a historical precedent for Blacks in a mighty people who served as the genesis of modern-day chess. Who were these mighty people? They were the Moors of Africa who led a militaristic campaign against Spain in 711 AD and brought with them a game called Shatranj. Shatranj was derived from Chaturanga, a board game originating in India in the 6th century which featured only four types of pieces: elephants, chariots, calvary, and infantry. The Moors also brought another fame to Spain called el-Quirkat, a direct ancestor to checkers.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Who cares what colour people and what they created. As long as its created, and it's good, then thats all that matters. It doens't matter if they're black or white, male or female, with long straight hair or big afro hair. It's not like us white folks are saying to ourselves "Damn we're good inventors, lets tell the world and praise ourselves"

Mod Edit: Please see this thread

[edit on 11/8/07/08 by junglejake]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DearWife

Hi Wife,
Great post, good work! Carver attended college at Simson College in Iowa. I visited the labs where he did some of his early work. The lab was very spartan by modern standards. He did some remarkable work with many chemical inventions to his credit. The man was a genius of his time. No way you can take away from his accomplishments. Having said that, there are people of all races making incredible discoveries in all fields. Genius is not racially related, but an individual gift. Any race that claims a corner on the creative market is dillusional IMHO.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to plumranch:

Yes, I recently read about Carver via my son's science course. It was my first time ever reading about a black inventor in grade school material before. It was always about Benjamin Franklin and his kite-flying experiment and how a bolt of lightning struck it. Really, we never had much curriculum for science and music, where I'm from, because they were always cutting back on funding for those programs.

Originally posted by DaRAGE
So are you black?

Because i really dont need a pro- racist punk around here.

Who cares what colour people and what they created. As long as its created, and it's good, then thats all that matters. It doens't matter if they're black or white, male or female, with long straight hair or big afro hair. It's not like us white folks are saying to ourselves "Damn we're good inventors, lets tell the world and praise ourselves"

Gimme a break. Racist punk

Racism:
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
[Origin: 1865–70; < F racisme. See race2, -ism]

What in my post makes me a "racist punk"? Are you telling me that I cannot post information that I felt others could learn from? Mind you, there are still places in the world, even in my own country, where me and my family would not be welcomed, or looked down upon because of the color our skin. Blacks and whites mingling together is something some people don't want to see. And telling them about Black inventors is something they don't, and would not, want to hear.

If you are posting about judging people, as I've read in your thread, "What's the deal with Racists?", why have you wrongly judged me? Presuming I'm a "racist punk".

"I really just think don't judge people at all. I don't think you'd like to be judged either. We're all just trying to get by in this world."

Isn't Melbourne Australia having it's own issues with racist bashing?

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Another thing invented by a black man in my opinion is the infectious giggle, when i was a kid growing up in Liverpool one of my neigbours was a old Jamaican called Mon Toots (RIP) he had this laugh that was so infectious i loved that man and he never gave a second thought to me being white or him being black on my part i miss those days, anyhow it looks to me that the world would be a little bit different if it wasn't for these folk,

good thread..

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
So are you black?

Because i really dont need a pro- racist punk around here.

Gimme a break. Racist punk

What is this about DaRAGE? i think your going a little overboard with your post its almost like your offended? this is a good thread and very enlightening im not sitting here reading it thinking black or white im thinking hypocracy and amusment and the time saved by these inventions.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Not to get too involved, but the cell phone was invented by someone else.

www.cellular.co.za...

Don't really know or care about the rest of the people you listed, but I do know a little bit about cell phones and radio stuff.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DearWife

What in my post makes me a "racist punk"? Are you telling me that I cannot post information that I felt others could learn from? Mind you, there are still places in the world, even in my own country, where me and my family would not be welcomed, or looked down upon because of the color our skin. Blacks and whites mingling together is something some people don't want to see. And telling them about Black inventors is something they don't, and would not, want to hear.

If I where to write down all the things "White" people have invented and make a post about it ( Heading : White Inventors...Extraordinary Inventions unlinke the other inventions from other types of people! , there would be 1000 replys about me beeing a racist ... Because I then generalize a group of people with the colors of their skin.

If you really dont see that you are writing between the lines here, I cant help you.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Snopes says:

yes and no.

I`ve seen a few versions of this e-mail myself - a few of them contradict each other. Makes me wonder about the point, really.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Black, white... what's the difference? People gotta stop separating humanity into different groups. An inventor is an inventor, regardless of skin color or culture.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
Black, white... what's the difference? People gotta stop separating humanity into different groups. An inventor is an inventor, regardless of skin color or culture.

I hear you.

Sadly though, when we have people like noble prize winning DNA pioneers like Dr. James Watson making dubious scientific claims such as "Blacks are genetically less intelligent than Whites", and what's worse groups of people (some members here as well) attempting to justify and support his claim sometimes showing the positive BENEFITS of blacks in society seems somewhat valid. I see no harm in reminding those of the positives in an atmosphere that at times never fails to remind us of the opposite. Most stats on black/African Americans I've seen people post around here reflect the worst when dealing with the issues of race..

Honestly, I've yet to hear a similar claim about Whites from any reputable member of the science community. At least not that I can recall.

I'm also curious...where were all of you decrying this to be racist when those Watson threads and supporters popped up? That seemed more blatantly racist to me than posting about black inventors.

Nice thread...interesting info.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel

I'm also curious...where were all of you decrying this to be racist when those Watson threads and supporters popped up? That seemed more blatantly racist to me than posting about black inventors.

Nice thread...interesting info.

Have you read the replies on the Watson threads at all ?
As I remember, they get a lot of critics because of the idiotic claims from watson. What you do here is just dumb lies to get readers to take sides.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Although a good article it has some inaccuracies in it. One poster stated the cell phone inventionor as being wrong. The one that caught my attentions was that W.A. Lavette invented the printing press, which is untrue. Black people have invented many things, but this article may do more harm then good.
Here is a link. This guy read the same article and brought up some good points about it and and has a list of who invented everything in this article. www.angelfire.com...

[edit on 8-11-2007 by spoke]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
This thing is like 4 years old.
Most of those things were common sense inventions meaning its more about who did it first.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
you forgot a few inventions the blacks invented...
sagging pants,

pimps

grills

cripps

bloods

afros

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Thank you for contributing to this thread.

At the time of my posting this, it was just something I wanted to share since it's not everyday you hear about black inventors. The title of the thread is from one of the links I found when doing a search.

Maybe it would have been better for me to have posted nothing at all?

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by icybreeze
you forgot a few inventions the blacks invented...
sagging pants,

pimps

grills

cripps

bloods

afros

You forgot to add rock music.
But that would fit another thread for "Inventions stolen from blacks"
Then we could get the whole history of the oppresive patent.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by tep200377
If I where to write down all the things "White" people have invented and make a post about it

You would be labelled a neo-nazi among other things. Indeed this thread is simply reverse-rascism. I wouldn't condone either side producing this, it's really sad.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Men like him enable others to see the uniqueness within us all as a species. Blacks are constantly portrayed in the media for being "less" than others, and even "subhuman." We look at people like George Washington Carver and see that our genius is as common as the color of our blood.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DearWife

Wrong. Carver did not invent peanut butter. (I looked it up after seeing an episode of American Dad where Carver was mentioned.)

Recipe number 51 on the list of 105 peanut uses describes a "peanut butter" that led to the belief that Carver invented the modern product with this name.
en.wikipedia.org...

I agree with, DaRAGE and tep200377 above. This is a racist thread. Maybe not negative racism, but racism nevertheless. The same thread about whites would be closed instantly for being a white supremacy thread. Is this a black supremacy thread?

Would White History Month be considered racism? Of course.

[edit on 9/11/07 by ConspiracyNut23]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join