It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A touchy subject......Presidential Assassinations.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Ok...here's a touchy subject.....Assassinations.

While it is highly illegal and morally questionable........are the days of assassinations over here in the U.S. ?? The last attempted assassination was of Pres. Reagan back on March 30, 1981. and there has not been another attempt on a President since.

Is it that the ones who attempt such acts now know it to be folly ?....or does it have to do with the "dumbing down" of America.

To a certain degree it appears that political extremists have opted for a more civil approach to issues that plague them.

Over the years there have been 6 attempts on The President as follows:

Andrew Jackson - On January 1, 1835, Andrew Jackson was attending a funeral for Congressman Warren Davis. Richard Lawrence, attempted to shoot him with two different derringers, each of which misfired. He was tried for the attempted assassination but was found not guilty by reason of insanity. He spent the rest of his life in an insane asylum.

Theodore Roosevelt - An assassination attempt was actually not made on Roosevelt's life while he was in the office of president. Instead, it occurred after he had left office and decided to run for another term against William Howard Taft. While campaigning on October 14, 1912, he was shot in the chest by John Schrank, a mentally disturbed New York saloonkeeper. Luckily, Roosevelt had a speech and his spectacle case in his pocket that slowed down the .38 caliber bullet. The bullet was never removed but allowed to heal over.

Franklin Roosevelt - After giving a speech in Miami on February 15, 1933, Giuseppe Zangara shot six shots into the crowd. None hit Roosevelt though the Mayor of Chicago, Anton Cermak was shot in the stomach. Zangara blamed wealthy capitalists for his plights and those of other working people. He was convicted of attempted murder and then after Cermak's death due to the shooting he was retried for murder. He was executed by electric chair in March, 1933.

Harry Truman - On November 1, 1950, two Puerto Rican nationals attempted to kill President Truman to bring attention to the case for Puerto Rican independence. The President and his family were staying at the Blair House across from the White House and the two attempted assassins, Oscar Collazo and Griselio Torresola, tried to shoot their way into the house. Torresola killed one and wounded another policeman while Collazo wounded one policeman. Torresola died in the gunfight. Collazo was arrested and sentenced to death which Truman commuted to life in prison. Carter freed Collazo from prison in 1979.

Gerald Ford - Ford escaped two assassination attempts, both by women. First on September 5, 1975, Lynette Fromme, a follower of Charles Manson, pointed a gun at him but did not fire. She was convicted of attempting to assassinate the president and sentenced to life in prison. The second attempt on Ford's life occurred on September 22, 1975 when Sara Jane Moore fired one shot that was deflected by a bystander. Moore was trying to prove herself to some radical friends with the assassination of the president. She was convicted of attempted assassination and sentenced to life in prison.

Ronald Reagan - March 30, 1981, Reagan was shot in the lung by John Hinckley, Jr. Hinckley hoped that by assassinating the president, he would earn enough notoriety to impress Jodie Foster. He was arrested but found not guilty by reason of insanity. He was sentenced to life in a mental institution.

The major question is....will it happen again ?? and if not what has caused the extremists in general to shy away from it ?

Anyone have a thought on this ?

(The above post is NOT an a approval of such acts.....but merely a topic of discussion)

[edit on 6-11-2007 by Alpha Grey]

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I guess Vice Presidents don't count, as there was an apparent attempt on Cheney while he was in Afghanistan.

I think that there are plots, but the PTB leave themselves less as targets nowdays, and the intel on this is pretty high priority. I doubt there are less people willing to commit the act though.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Alpha, you seem to imply that it is strange that someone hasn't attempted to assassinate Bush... I'll tell you this, an assassination of Bush, regardless of what anyone may say, would lead to a war in this nation that it has never seen.

[edit on 6-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Alpha, you seem to imply that it is strange that someone hasn't attempted to assassinate Bush... I'll tell you this, an assassination of Bush, regardless of what anyone may say, would lead to a war in this nation that it has never seen.

I agree.......Cheney would be far worse than that idiot Bush. And yes I do think it is strange that no one has tried to shoot GW.

IMO..it would be the absolute worst thing that could happen...the U.S. is in enough trouble as it is without having to worry about how bad Cheney would do if he were Pres.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Well, I certainly agree with you on Cheney.. I think the man is beyond evil...I personally think he is the one behind the hi-jacking of the Bush presidency, really.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Maybe that's the real secret to not being shot on the job. Pick a Vice President that is worse than you are and even the nuts will want to keep you alive. And we all though Bush was an idiot!

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
And we all though Bush was an idiot!

I have never once accused him of being anything of the sort, he certainly isn't... However, I think that he listens to people who don't have his best interests in mind..

[edit on 6-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Werent there a few attempts on Clinton? The guy who crashed the plane onto the WH lawn and then there was a crazy guy who walked up to the WH and started spraying an Ruger Mini 14 all over the place. Also, dont forget the guy who threw a grenade at Bush when he was in Georgia (the nation).

Its amazing though how in all these years only 1 USSS agent has ever been killed whole protecting the president. I guess it says alot about their training.

EDIT: He wasent even a USSS agent - Pvt. Leslie Coffelt of the White House Police Force (what would eventually because the USSS Uniformed Division) was shot and killed in a shootout after Puerto Rican terrorists tried to storm the Blair House (across from the WH where Truman was staying while the WH was being renovated) on November 1st 1950. The WHPF did not become part of the Secret Service until the 1970s when they were merged with the Executive Protective Service to form the Secret Service Uniformed Division.

[edit on 6-11-2007 by ChrisF231]

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

I have to disagree on how smart he is. He may not be the butter knife, but he sure isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
I have to disagree on how smart he is. He may not be the butter knife, but he sure isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

You can't be. You start thinking for yourself and try to do what YOU want and THAT'S what leads to assassinations. Can't tick off the puppetmasters.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Point taken. But I doubt anybody instructed him to act like a classless idiot when having his picture taken with the Queen of England and flashing the "hook 'em horns" sign. That was all GWB being an overgrown frat boy.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Have you ever considered the possibility that recent presidents have avoided assassination attempts because they are already sold out to the puppetmasters who usually launch these attempts? It is as Jesus said about the devil, " A kingdom divided against itself can not stand". There is no reason to kill someone who is already doing your dirty work.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Alpha Grey

I'm curious, why have you listed only failed attempts?

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky
I'm curious, why have you listed only failed attempts?

ask and ye shall receive....

here's a complete list..both attempts and successes.

List of attempted and successful assassinations

Tada !!

[edit on 8-11-2007 by Alpha Grey]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
Have you ever considered the possibility that recent presidents have avoided assassination attempts because they are already sold out to the puppetmasters who usually launch these attempts? It is as Jesus said about the devil, " A kingdom divided against itself can not stand". There is no reason to kill someone who is already doing your dirty work.

That's about right...

Reagan was the last one who, at least initially, went against the powers that be. He was the last president to tell the American people, "Flood your senators and representaives mailboxes with demands. Make the government work for you." He was almost killed because of it. That, and the fact that Bush Sr. most likely wanted the presidency long before he received it.

[edit on 8-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

I fear that the shadow government is only getting more bold and their hold more pernicious. We are paying the price now. They are crashing the dollar and probably soon the economy. Out of the unrest that follows many will try to take advantage. Either we get more police state, or terrorist attacks or even a full scale assault from Russia and China.

new topics

top topics

join