It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bomb discovered at American nuclear plant!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I dont remember reading/seeing anything about this over the weekend, (If I have missed it please close this thread and link me to the existing one so I can speak my mind there)

How has it been kept so quiet?

Link to full story

There was no danger to the plant, officials said.

"This is not a threat to the public," said Jim McDonald, a spokesman for Arizona Public Service Co. "If it had the potential to be, the security guards stopped it."

The worker, who has not been identified by authorities, has been arrested. Several hundred contract employees are working on improvements to the plant, which is the largest power plant in the United States.

A contractor attempting to take a 'Credible explosive device' in to the largest Nuclear plant in the United States, was not a threat to the public?

I cant imagine what is then!

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The guy who brought this thing should be jailed but if a pipe bomb was all he had, there really isn't that big of a deal. A pipe bomb could have killed perhaps one guard but that's all it could have done.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by totalvigilance
The guy who brought this thing should be jailed but if a pipe bomb was all he had, there really isn't that big of a deal. A pipe bomb could have killed perhaps one guard but that's all it could have done.

What about if it was planned to be strategicaly placed to do some stuctural damage to a sensative or vulnerable area of the plant?

Maybe to cause a secondary explosion?

I am not to clued up on how vulnerable these plants are, and what damage can be done with them, it just seems super scarey to me.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by xSMOKING_GUNx

Maybe the contractor could attach it to a diesel tanker and detonate it to cause some serious damage, but as far as I know, they don't keep those or other high-explosives in nuclear power plants.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
It's only a matter of time until the inevitable happens. We are our own worse enemy though. We haven't and aren't taking the proper measures to secure our borders, plants, harbors, et cetera.... Whatever happens will be our own doing, or due to what we haven't done, I should say...

[edit on 5-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
It's only a matter of time until the inevitable happens. We are our own worse enemy though. We haven't and aren't taking the proper measures to secure our borders, plants, harbors, et cetera.... Whatever happens will be our own doing, or due to what we haven't done, I should say...

[edit on 5-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

Ahhhh but wait, if we did that, then all the "you are invading my privacy" people would have a fit. So as you said, we are our worst enemy. We don´t need to arrive at a complete police state to protect ourselves, but something needs to be done.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm

Ahhhh but wait, if we did that, then all the "you are invading my privacy" people would have a fit. So as you said, we are our worst enemy.

Precisely my point...

It's funny to me that there is not any evidence, legitimate, that we have lost any of our rights. Yet, there are those running around screaming that we have. Uh, I don't see where we have as yet...

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Precisely my point...

It's funny to me that there is not any evidence, legitimate, that we have lost any of our rights. Yet, there are those running around screaming that we have. Uh, I don't see where we have as yet...

Right now I am living in a country, where you never know, when you will be stopped by the army or police, asking for documents, where you are going and where you have been, even doing car searches and body searches. They will stop a bus and make everyone get off etc etc
What has this done for the country? People now are once again travelling by car to different regions of the country, going out at night, etc etc. Yes there are still trouble spots, where you would not want to go, but compared to what it was like 5 -6 years ago, it´s once again paradise.
The people here DO NOT complain, about any of their rights being violated, they are glad that the government is actually doing something about the problem, instead of just hoping something does not happen.

[edit on 5-11-2007 by NetStorm]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Where, if you don't mind, are you right now, NetStorm? What country?

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Colombia South America.
hmmm how do I not make that a one liner?

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Yeah, South America in general has its share of problems....

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Yeah, South America in general has its share of problems....

True , leftist countries here and there, Colombia being one fo the few democrocies left, but still, the people accept the fact that if they want to live in peace, the government must at times take drastic measures to obtain that peace.
And it has worked. The M19 group is dead, ELN, are a bunch of disorganized people hiding in the hills, the FARC still has some clout, but more and more of them are "reinserting" back to a normal civilian life.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Exisiting Discussion Here

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
NetStorm, I am glad to hear that things are finally beginning to get better and that the government is winning the fight down there! Columbia, like Northern Ireland, is proof that insurgencies can be defeated but that it also takes diplomatic measures along with brutal force to win.

SpeakerofTruth, I couldent have said it better. We have not done one single thing to deter terrorism/foreign threats since 9/11/2001. Look at the borders or railroad, bus and port systems for a prime example. NOTHING has changed since 9/11 except for TSA which is rumored to be even less effective then the private sector screeners used prior to 9/11/2001. All DHS did was merge various federal law enforcement agencies, no new mass hirings, etc. The FBI now focuses solely on terrorism and ignores organized crime, gangs, etc. Its sad really how pathetic it is.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Back to the subject then:

Are these area's of national importance, like this neuclear plant adaquately protected, or is someone eventualy going to slip through?

What are the consequences of it happening?

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by xSMOKING_GUNx

What are the consequences of it happening?

The consequences? A large segment of the population dying...

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
To answer your question; unlike in most nations our nuclear plants (even if they are government operated) are guarded by contracted security guards who in most cases (but not all) are armed. If a specific threat is discovered towards a specific plant then the National Guard, State Police/Highway Patrol and other law enforcement agencies will send help to protect the plant. In most nations there is some sort of national government run police or security force to protect nuclear plants ex. the Civil Nuclear Constabulary in the UK.

The protection of nuclear materials in transit is performed the US Department of Energy's Office of Secure Transportation which employs "Nuclear Material Couriers" who are armed but dont have federal agent status.

On military facilities the protection of nuclear material and weapons is the responsibility of the service police of the branch that runs the particular facility (ex. if its a USAF base then its up to the US Air Force Security Police, if its a non service facility but still Dept. of Defense property then its up to the Dept. of Defense Police). Military nuclear weapons in transit are also guarded by the service police of the particular branch that "owns" the said nuclear weapons or material.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Then why, as I said in my opening thread when; A contractor attempting to take a 'Credible explosive device' in to the largest Nuclear plant in the United States, is it not a threat to the public?

If I cant get an answer (

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
We would have to hear the persons reason for having the pipe bomb; he might have just forgotten he had it with him.

He might have been using it as an explosive in a mining adventure in Arizona. There are lots of mines out in those regions.

Obviously he could not have gotten it inside of any areas within the facility were it could have done any harm; and they don't have anything outside where he could have planted it where it could have done anything more than create a diversion while others in a their high tech, high budget diabolical plot to destroy the whole USA waited for their cue.... hahahahahaha.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
We would have to hear the persons reason for having the pipe bomb; he might have just forgotten he had it with him.

He might have been using it as an explosive in a mining adventure in Arizona. There are lots of mines out in those regions.

People just wander around in America with pipe bombs?

I have never even seen one, have you?

I am pretty sure that I would'nt forget if I had one lying around in my pickup!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join