It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Golden Compass

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I originally started making a new thread in the 'movie' section on BTS. I posted in here, due to religious under-tones. (Mods - please move to the appropriate area if need be)

The Golden Compass

Movie: Viewed in theaters - Dec. 7 /07
Based on the book by Author: Phillip Pullman

Movie Trailer

I want to start this off by saying that I thoroughly enjoy Sci-Fi and Fantasy movies of all kinds.

I saw the movie trailer for this film, and it really peaked my interest. (No matter the outcome of this thread, and the fact that I will remain un-biased of opinion, I intend on viewing this flick when it emerges next month)

Now...let's get on to business.

I'm sure that alot of movies have 'hidden agendas' so to speak, and others for the most part, are produced with the intention of 'mere entertainment'.

I want to focus on the underlying agenda/motifs ('hidden meanings' - for lack of better terminology) with this film in particular.

This movie has attracted alot of attention on all fronts to various degrees.

This Site

Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League, said, "These books denigrate Christianity, thrash the Catholic Church and sell the virtues of atheism. They're intentionally watering down the most offensive element. I'm not really concerned about the movie, which looks fairly innocuous. The movie is made from the books. It's a deceitful, stealth campaign. Pullman is hoping his books will fly off the shelves at Christmas time."

This Site is in agreement

My question is:

Is this film merely Sci-fi fantasy entertainment and just that?

OR

Is there a hidden purpose behind all the cutesy cinnomographic storylines?

After careful contemplation, I would appreciate your views on this matter.

Courtesy is Mandatory

[edit on 2-11-2007 by TheDuckster]

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I quite enjoyed reading the books, although it was years ago.

Somehow i can tell that they're going to slaughter the books, just like they do with everything else.

I take it you're posting this here in order to highlight certain christian elements that may disagree with the film, but i want to make a brief point;

Most films have an agenda, the fact that there are Christians whom are voicing their concerns over the agenda portrayed in the film only proves that to an extent, Phillip Pullman is correct.

I heard about their damning of the books some time ago, and felt a small amount of hatred worm it's way into my heart for the catholic church, getting involved with how there's a 'Conspiracy' behind a 'Book'.

Kinda reminds me of the bible, to an extent.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The movie doesn't have an agenda; the controversy is that they changed the movie from the original books in order to avoid a central theme in the books that they feared would be offensive - the 'bad guys' in these books are the authority represented by the church.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Throbber

"I take it you're posting this here in order to highlight certain christian elements..."

You caught, did you?

To be frank, I'm Spiritual with a Christian background. I wanted everyone to be clear on this. I also stated from my OP, that I am refraining from giving 'my biased view', as I would dearly love to hear other opinions from yourself and others.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

I wonder tho.

Was it too controversial?

That was partly on my mind, when I posted this thread.

The intentions/motifs behind the scenes.

That's why I created this thread..."To discuss these things."

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Is my imagination running on over-time?

I have this 'need' to know things.

Is there a 'hidden agenda' behind this film?

I am relying on our ATS communiity to help 'reconcile' the fact, of possible hidden religious propoganda, behind the scripts.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Alrighty....

Even Nicole Kidman declares that the movie has been watered down because of religious implications.

Kidman strongly suggests to EW that the film adaption of Philip Pullman's blatantly anti-theistic His Dark Materials books will not retain material that would upset religious folks. She says the religious message put forth in the film version of The Golden Compass "has been watered down a little,"

Kidman Says Religious Content of 'The Golden Compass' Has Been "Watered Down"

Why would she says these things....

Unless she knew the implications that would ensue?

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I felt that there were a bit of a anti-religious elements in the books, anti-traditional Western religion, anyways. It seemed to me that it was one giant hit piece against traditional Christianity but I only read the first two books. I had to be told that this was what the author was getting at before I "put all the pieces together", so the elements may be too tough for a young child to grasp. On the other hand, could they perhaps have a subliminal influence?

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by uberarcanist

Uber?

As much as you and I have butted heads in the past, I want YOU to know, that I respect your opinions. Honestly and truely.

You have a good head on your shoulders, and I welcome your stances.

I see what you are saying here...

And like I said in my OP...I want to find out what the 'hey's going on here...regarding this movie.'

Is there an underlying 'vector', slowly but surely, permeating/infilltrating certain belief systems?

Is Hollywood (or other mainstreams) propogating/utilising and working on the youth et al, to subtley propose anothers belief system'?

Many movies, from the beginnings of cinema, have somehow gotten across to the public: A moral.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Pullman is an explicit atheist, and his books do often have a negative view of religion.

Not a problem is there? The books end with the death of an old frail, but oppressive, god-dude, who was propped up by an authoritarian religious organisation. It's a story written from the influences of Pullman. The film has been dumbed down and 'cleaned-up' for an american audience. The general feel of the story for those who know it should be there, for those who don't, they will be none the wiser. If they read the book, it's only a story, but quite a good one, with numerous layers and allegories.

We've just had a new Narnia film last year. Who cares if it had Xian undertones, it was a pretty naff film either way.

It will only be an issue if you think restricting young minds from challenging art and literature is a suitable approach to life. I feel the religious allegory is mainly aimed at oppressive and dogmatic religions, if yours is one of these, then it will be an issue.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

Now...I have to be careful with my words.

Yes...Pullman is an Atheist. He's also a fantastic writer; albeit controversial, but I give credit 'where credits due'.

If they read the book, it's only a story, but quite a good one, with numerous layers and allegories.

This is where I stop in my tracks. Not because I'm Spiritual, but because of the fact that you mentioned numerous layers and allegories

Layers and Allegories....

Narnia had layers and Christian (Xian) allegories.

From my understanding...Phillip Pullam held C.S. Lewis in 'contempt? < Paraphrased.

C.S. Lewis was contingent and swayed towards Christian (Xian) beliefs?

I'm questioning a possible rivalry?

It's a distinct possibility.

Getting back on topic:

Is there underlying (anti?)religious tones with the movie: The Golden Compass?

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Heh, yeah, Pullman certainly has no time for Lewis.

Again, it's not really an issue. The trilogy focuses on all sorts of stuff, consciousness, original sin, theology, physics, coming of age etc etc. If you haven't read them, you should do. As I'm sure the films won't do the books justice.

There are parts which are without doubt negative about dogmatic religion, but where's the problem with that? Every writer uses his own perspective and influences to write from. Whether it was Lewis, Tolkein, Rowling, or Pullman.

The book actually appears to be more closely related to Paradise Lost than anything Narnia-like, but with all fantasy you will find similarities with some preceding works.

ABE: few people can answer your last question, Ducky, because so few people will have seen the finished article. As far as I know, the majority of the religious references have been removed.

[edit on 2-11-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
It seemed to me that it was one giant hit piece against traditional Christianity

I couldn't have said it better. Was thinking of starting a thread on this one myself.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

I'm besides myself..."What a thought eh?"

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
A few members have graciously replied.

We are at a standstill at this point.

Is this film Anti-Religious, or is this film just 'entertainment'?

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
If you are only interested in the film adaptation, then you should ask again some time after December 7th.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

As I said previously, I'll see the movie when it comes out Dec 7./07.

I personally don't need to see the adaptations. This would kinda 'water it down' for me.

Any proposed controversial 'religious metaphor'...I want it full force.

I need to 'taste' the full recipe to make a half-decent valid remark.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
And another site:

Critics Slam 'Golden Compass' Movie for 'Castrating' Anti-Church Themes.

I wonder how far this is going to go.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
I personally don't need to see the adaptations. This would kinda 'water it down' for me.

Any proposed controversial 'religious metaphor'...I want it full force.

Read ze books then. Or have you already?

They are actually very good. My son didn't like them (although he is an atheist), but he did like Lord of the Rings, which has strong Xian influences.

I don't think it's that important in literature whether books are positive or negative towards a particular viewpoint or establishment. They are ultimately just stories, often with some underlying message of morality etc. Even the head of the CoE sees the books as worthy of reading for their message of anti-dogmatism.

I am disappointed the films will be sanitised versions of the books, but it was always going to happen.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Throbber

you're right, they're going to slaughter the books by removing the metaphor for the catholic church in there and toning down the parts which have an anti-religious message.

anything to avoid pissing off the religious, yet the catholic league has already come out against the movie

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join