It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Stories / Top News

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Do they really need to be posted/visible in ALL the forums?

Was the code easier to implemant so they show in ALL forum, instead of a few specific ones?

I don't want this to sound like I'm whinning, but when I see the same thread in all the forums, it's kind of annoying to always have to 'ignore' that thread, if you see what I mean. I wouldn't mind if they were always posted in, say, Website-Related forum, for example.

But sometimes I go, say, to the religion forum, and see those threads about mars, or the lastest email worm...
It really isn't related, and if at least they were always staying at the top, it would be easier to ignore them, but they don't.

Do they really need to be everywhere?

Just wanted to voice out my opinion about those 'new' type of thread and would be interested to see what others think about them. BTW, I'm in no way bashing the ATSNN or anything related to news, just the way they are present everywhere...

At first I could just not go to ATSNN to not see them, or go to ATSNN when I felt like reading news...

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This is the first complaint (that I've seen) about this, and I've received some U2U compliments on the feature. Some people have appreciated important news threads in more than one forum... perhaps not normally seeing them otherwise. Which is not to say the concept couldn't use modification. What do others think?

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Some people have appreciated important news threads in more than one forum...

I really wouldn't mind a few forums, but all of them?
Website-Related is usualy the first forum I check when I log onto the site, so I could see them there and see if some interest me or not. After I could move on to different topics. I'd figured most people will also check Website-Related at least one time, during their visit?

Wouldn't also mind if it were specific to the current forum. (like topic related)

Edit: But as I said, it really doesn't bug me that much, I could live with it, but I was wondering if others also shared that feeling.

[Edited on 27-1-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I was going to keep my mouth shut on the subject, but since someone else has a spoke up, I guess i'll post my opinion anyway. I agree with m0rbid, I also think they should only be topped on some forums, not all. Anyways, just my opinion.

Peace, TSK

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbidbut I was wondering if others also shared that feeling.
Thanks... let's find out. People?

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Im with m0rbid. It gets kinda annoying to go into one of the forums and see news artcles that have absolutly NUTTIN to do with the subject of the forum.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
You don't have to check the link out, most of the time I just bypass them, however it does come in handy when I am in one forum and Breaking News comes up, that would not have been posted in the forum. Now is it a question of taking up space? Annoying? I personally do not find it to be, but I am one out of Many.

I think this had been brought up a couple of weeks ago..

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
If I'm in Today's BTS and happen to read a news story (sometimes I don't even know) I don't like my next refresh click bringing up ATS.

I don't know if that's even related to the programming issue, or if I could refresh differently from "Today's Posts" but I do feel a system wide pull toward ATS and kind of grumble with the extra clicks required to get back to BTS.

[Edited on 27-1-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I think it would keep you informed and instead of going to the main page after a story is posted it will be right their whichever forum your in. I like it.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Posted by Monk

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
TrickmasterRick

To me, it's really just a question of surfing habits. Sure, sometimes I'm in a random forum, will see a top news/story, will check it out, then go back to the previous forum, than when I'm done with this one, I go back to the main ats forum page, than head to another forum, and so on and so on... And I'll see that same thread in all the next forums I'll visit, and most of the time the thread is not always at the same height.

That's what I find a *bit* annoying, sometimes... I actually waited a few time before posting this, cuz I thought surely someone else will talk about it, but so far I haven't seen anyone posting about this issue.

But it's really not the bandwidth/disk space question that bothers me... Just the "surf-ability" of the forums.

Just saw you added a link, haven't seen Monk questions about this, cuz I don't check ATSNN that often, and I had to scroll way down the page to see his questions...so... I think starting a thread here in the Board Questions was not a bad idea...At least I thought so.

(and the post you refered was made only 10 days ago
)

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
If they have to be everywhere, can't they at least not appear as normal thread? Like making them a 'sticky', or making a small windows that always stays at above the forums with the most recent Stories/News. (like the 2 or 3 last ones...and maybe a flashy sign for when one just been posted)

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
M0rbid,

Definitly a good idea to post this question, I think this whole site has to do with alot of questioning. Like I said I am just one of many on this site. And the thread is fairly new. I think it is a good point to bring up. As far as Monk goes, there was a post on ATSNN and he asked the same question(Replying to S.O. ? on not being seen b4), so there is definitly someone who shares this with you, and probably more to come.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
If they have to be everywhere, can't they at least not appear as normal thread? Like making them a 'sticky', or making a small windows that always stays at above the forums with the most recent Stories/News. (like the 2 or 3 last ones...and maybe a flashy sign for when one just been posted)

Now theres a good idea

Would it incurr alot of bandwidth? I'm sure it wouldnt because you are taking something already from the page and in essence making it smaller.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Seriously, I think I would prefer to see the whole ATSNN summary-section (the thing that is seen here www.abovetopsecret.com... )
above the top of all different forums, at all times, than seeing them as ordinary thread, like now.

I'm lazy, and this way it would be easier to ignore them if I don't wanna read them, or already did.

PLus I like the flashy-red surligning effect on alerts. Good way to grad attention when somethings new comes up.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I see no reason for ATSNN to show up there. If people here at ATS can find that particular forum, they know where to find the news.

And well, I think there should be seperation of forums. News is news, not reasearch, although it could lead to that. My vote goes to keeping the forums, on topic.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Now I see what you are talking about, I would usually just see them at the top, but as I was paging through they show up and stay everywhere. Yes that is annoying. I recant my previous statement

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
My vote goes to keeping the forums, on topic.

I agree with that, but I also understand why the staff did it this way, cuz some news would be really of a broad nature, and some wouldn't fit anywhere else than in "Other Current Events" and those ones wouldn't get as much visibility if they were only posted there...

But I agree that the research forum could seriously do without 'em, and should really just be about researchs.

I'm looking foward to see what others opinions is about this subject. I really think the idea of some kind of a different , separated header or section, or any way to not see them as any other normal threads, and in no particular order, is a good idea.

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
If I'm in Today's BTS and happen to read a news story (sometimes I don't even know) I don't like my next refresh click bringing up ATS.

Thanks magic programming faeries. It's fixed.

new topics

top topics

join